Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone Adapter

I have a D-104 mic that was connected to a Kenwood 950. It has a gain control so I believe it is an amplified mic. I know the Flex takes a Yaesu connector, Do I need a certain specific Yaesu connector to connect it to the Flex. Does the Flex provide the necessary bias for this Mic? Any advise would be appreciated. I have a 6300.

Answers

• Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited June 2020
    I have a 6500 that I use with a D104 and have installed the following:

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-hc51retrokit

I removed the base amplifier and it works great.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    A $66 kit to repair a $40 mike?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is all about the visuals.  The D104 is a classic no matter what is under the hood.
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited June 2015
    Correct, classic look with modern performance. Every time I come into the shack the D104 is the first thing I see sitting on the desk. It is not always about money. People think about money too much - it is a tool to get the pleasures in life nothing more.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I agree it's not always about the money but I have 4 D-104s and I sell them WORKING for $40-$50, why  buy a $66 mike head?
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Burt, what are your call letters?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've got to agree with you there to a degree, Burt.  With a Heil insert is is no longer truly a D104.  It is a Heil mike in a D104 body.  Kind of like a heart transplant or silicone implant!  While it probably sounds better with a modern cartridge in it, I would rather have my PR22 or a PR781.  

But if a guy already has a D104 and likes the look, why not?  To each their own.

In my shack, however, I never wanted to be hanging onto a huge hunk of metal every time I transmitted, just in case I got some unexpected RF in the room.  I have gotten "RF lips" before!

Ken - NM9P
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Whey Burt do you have one with a hiel 5 element in it for 40.00 if so I will take it.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    K1OIK, what is a "hiel?" If I put a Corvette engine in a Yugo will it work like a Corvette?
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited June 2015
    For me, I have a lot of fond memories of 11 meters from the mid-1970s. The mike back then was a D104 so using one now regardless of the element is nice.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Burt, I think your point here has been made. Lets move on.  Like Ken said, "to each his own" and in the end a working mic is really all that matters.

Alan is still waiting for his answer regarding wiring and mic bias.  Is there anyone with knowledge that can assist?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.