Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mic audio BAL input

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I know there has been much work done on the audio chain. I don't normally use a mic but I tried calling a CY0 station today. Mic is a PR781 connected to the BAL input. I have +20 selected and the mic gain all the way up but am unable to get close to 0 dB on the level meter. Even with Comp on and set to 25 my average power out is about 3W while peaks are almost hitting the dialed in power of 50W. Level is getting just a little past -20. 73 Greg AB7R

Comments

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Follow up after the new install. Still had the same problem. I went to the settings window voice tab and the +20DB boost was highlighted. I turned it off and then on again and NOW I have sufficient audio. Seems like the initial state was off even though it showed ON. 73 Greg
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Ooops...I take that back. I saw that COMP was on by default. Not getting nearly enough gain from the bal mic input with COMP off and the mic gain set to max. With COMP on 25 I can get the peak LED to zero but the solid stays around -20 and my external meter shows average power output at about 1W. Peak is at the power setting but the average is WAAAAAY down.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Set the peak on the mike meter to 0 dB with processor off. Then adjust the compressor in small amounts to bring average transmit power up. The compression meter reads backwards... moving from the right (0 dB compression) to the left (25 dB compression) You will never have the average reach the same as your peak on the mike meter or average power reach 100 watts on SSB unless you are severely overdriven. I had to turn the +20 on and off a couple times and then the +ACC on and off a couple of times before things started to function properly when I first installed it. Now it works fine. Just worked ZS3D on 40 Meters SSB running my 6500 and a Heil PR22 mike off of a dipole up 18 ft. in Indiana. Best 40 Meter DX ever!
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I KNOW that average will not reach peak and I would never try to do that. Without CMP I cannot get the peak audio level to zero....even with max gain and +20. If I turn on MCP I can get it to zero peaks but the AVG power output is only 3 watts max. Something is not right here. 73 Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Greg, Just to help trace you problem... Did the PR781 drive it OK in the previous version of SmartSDR? I have talked to many 6000 owners who use that mike and they swear by them. My PR22 has similar output as the PR781 and I have to have the +20 gain button activated and the Mic level set to about 93 in order to get proper output without the compressor. Here are some other things to check: (some are dumb stuff that I have done or seen others do, so please take no offense. I'm just running down my own mental check list) *Which cable are you using on your mike? *Is it possible that you have a problem with your XLR mike cable? (I bought a cheap "boom arm" for my mike on the internet and the mike cable was improperly wired for balanced feed.) You might want to check it. *Is your watt meter is in the proper mode - Peak/Ave, Fwd/Rev, Power Level... (I have made that mistake a couple of times myself), *Are you trying to talk into the side of the mike, not the end? (I have known people who didn't realize their mike was an end-fire mike) .....(I told you these were dumb questions) *Is your TX bandwidth set properly? *Is the TX EQ set at a level that will be helpful? (There is a preset in the new downloadable .PDF manual that is a good starting place. Mine departs a bit from that, but not far.) If after looking at all the obvious "operator error" and simple equipment and adjustment malfunctions you still have problems, ...then, yes, something sounds amiss and you will need to file a ticket with support to have someone help you investigate further. I hope that one of these may lead you closer to a solution. Good luck.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken...thanks! It has worked OK in the past and using the standard bal cable purchased from Flex. I do speak directly into the mic and the EQ settings are correct. BUT....I did change the TX Filter while in RTTY. That may indeed be the problem and I will check that this evening. Thanks for the reminder. And that is something else that should be added to persistance.....TX Filter by mode. Tnx Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Greg, here is some additional information: I just did a complete powerdown and cold start of the 6500. On initial startup, the +20 dB button in the Settings/Vice tab is highlighted, but not active. If you turn it off and then on again, it starts working. I just had to do that again myself. This, and your TX Filter setting may get you going OK. Also, if you enable the mic meter during receive, you can pretty much set your initial mic & compression levels without needing to transmit. Then you can turn it off if it is annoying! Good Luck.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Thanks. I think I found that issue already and commented in a previous posting. :)
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I run the PR40 and when I first started with v1.0.0 I could not get the right amount of audio unless I ran the mic gain at 3/4. I discovered the problem with the 20db button and after turning off and back on the mic gain is 19 and the compressor at about 10 db. Comments on my audio are the best it has sounded. Things just keep getting better.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've been having similar problems with not being able to get enough mic input with the compressor off. I'm using an ElectroVoice RE320, and with the gain maxed all the way out, I'm seeing a similar issue of only getting to around -20 or so. I have not tried the On/Off solution mentioned here for the +20dB button, but will give that a shot when I get home...in about 10 hours due to being in the UK now.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Toggle the +20 button a couple times and that should do it. My other problem was that my TX filter. I had changed it to 700-1300 during the RTTY contest. When I went to correct that last night it was no longer what I set it to but set for 600-2900. I changed it to 200-3000 and now I can get to zero on the audio output. BUT.... I still have a problem with very low average power output. My WM2 meter gets to about 5W max on average power and that is with 25dB of compression.....more than that my audio starts sounding distorted. I could not scare up a SSB contact last night and that included calling someone who was S9+10dB. I don't know what's going on here. 73 Greg
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Greg, I am converting this topic to a HelpDesk ticket as you have have something going on that is specific to your radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.