Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mic input Question for 6400M

Art - N4QNT
Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I understand on the 6400 and the M model the 1/8 TRS pseodo -balance input, but my question is what if I wire an XLR to DB15 connector utilizing pin 1 (line in) and say pin 10 (ground) to the Accy Port would this be considered a Balanced input? Or is it still picking up the pseodo circuit?

Answers

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    On a model 6400, according to page 22 of the hardware ref manual, in both cases you have an unbalanced input (one signal, and ground).     If you want the noise & hum rejection of a true balanced XLR cable, the you would need a small 600:600 ohm line/signal transformer between the XLR jack and the TRS 1/8 inch plug.

You can find many super small/cheap 600 ohm signal transformers on ebay, or if you want to spend more, your local music or Guitar Center store should have XLR to TRS adapters with the transformer built in, as does Amazon.

Cheers,

Neal
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    Here guys.   Take a look at diagram/figure #2 in the following doc.
    It shows you how to maintain a balanced XLR cable, and then convert it to unbalanced
    right where it will enter the radio.

https://www.rane.com/note110.html

Cheers,

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    And lastly, here is an example link on Amazon of a converter between XLR balanced and TR unbalanced, using 1:1 isolation transformers.   It includes a user manual link on the listing.
    This may be worth playing with if you don't like wiring up your own using transformers from ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PHE400-Eliminator-2-Channel-Outputs/dp/B00BARTW42/

Good night,

Neal

• W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I think the point of his question has been missed. He wants to use the Accessory connector, there isnt any info on whether that is a balanced input or not via the 15 pin Acc Port ..
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    No, it has not been missed. The accessory connector is unbalanced, since there is only one signal wire plus ground, and not a balanced differential pair plus ground
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sorry Neal , I missed your first reply. Sometimes it says 3 or 4 comments and I cant see anything ..
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    No worries :-)

Cheers
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Yes Art, Like Neal said if you need to go from a device that has a "Balanced" output like an external mic preamplifier to the UN-Balanced input of the 6400/M you will want to use an audio isolation transformer. You can use the one Bill recommends because it gets the job done, is low cost and is more than sufficient for ham radio. ( https://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PHE400-Eliminator-2-Channel-Outputs/dp/B00BARTW42/ )

Keep in mind some of the of the lower end boxes like these tend to use transformers that are not audiophile grade and can have a bit of low roll off at @60 down and also some attenuation in the top end at around 16khz and up. This should not matter for normal SSB but if you were more into ESSB you might want to go for the better transformers.

You could optimize even more by using higher quality transformers like Lundah or Jensen and try to match input and output impedance with equipment as much as possible for best audio fidelity.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.