Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

mic gain changing

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Everytime I press the mic gain knob to open the menu on the screen it changes my mic gain. I have say 63 loaded in the profile but if I press the knob on to open the menu now my mic gain is 60 or 68 and there is a * beside the profile indicating a change. Is there some way to lock the mic gain so when yoiu press the knob it dont change? Its the only way I found to get that menu is there another way to open that menu?

Answers

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Is the small mic level menu coming up when you press it?  Like when you are adjusting the gain?

I had the * issue with mine but just assumed it was because of my defective knob problem.

• Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    mine does that as well!!

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You must be talking "M" radios..  What you describe is the way the knob and level access is defined on my Maerstro.  That is the way to adjust mic level up or down from where you normally set it.  It works the same for cw speed control.   Why access the menu if you don't need to change the current setting?     I admit though, I operate mostly cw so maybe I am missing something not yet evident to me.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Because there is more than just mic settings in there. The annoying part is if you end up with * changed tx or mic profile you end up with extra rogue profiles if you save a global at that point.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    Sounds like a software bug to me.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    AH...got it..  Thanks Rich..I may have to vist that arena shortly to set up a new 6600.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It is going to happen on the M model when pushing the knob from the face of the radio. It is a dual or actually triple function control. The best way to do it is be very careful and not ham fist it when you push the knob. Otherwise you will change your mic level setting. I see no way around it myself.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I don't agree with that Doug. Its either a manufacturing problem (which is what Flex told me) or a design issue.  You should not have to be that careful when you toggle through filters. 

I do not know the best way to do this but I do know that the software can determine if that was a click and ignore the turn and  put the mic gain back to what it was. Or be less sensitive to what a turn was to start with. 

I am sure they will get it fixed. I would return a M radio for refund before I would deal with this.

Rich

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You can activate the same menu by pressing the RF Power label in the middle of the screen.
    Does the same as pressing the mic/speed - power control.  
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks that's what I needed to know!
  • Jeff Schwartz
    Jeff Schwartz Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This is the same problem I have with my 6600M. More so with changing the power level which I do quite often. I invariable nudge the mic gain one way or the other unintentionally. The mic level as far as I’m concerned is a one time adjustment for any one mic, at least for me. It would be nice to have a mic gain fixed option in the mic profiles that would not be altered by turing the knob if desired. In other words a way to lock and unlock the mic gain knob would be nice.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just open the same menu by pressing the displayed power numbers on the touch screen, its nothing that needs to be fixed, when the user can just change the way he gets to the menu.
  • Doug44
    Doug44 Member
    edited March 2018
    yes good catch Jim this a good work around thanks for pointing this out. It is not a deal breaker for me but I do go into that menu for several things like mono on/off daxx on/off etc
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Kind of defeats the purpose of having a knob-radio :)

I agree, that works but it does not the fix a radio that was designed for to have all the important knobs and no more on the front.  "simplified operation".

I don't think anyone that has had one will argue that the controls are twitchy.

Rich

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The way I see it there are 3 main players in the sdr market now. The one who has the knobs right but not so much the sdr, the one who has the sdr right but not so much the knobs then the one who has both the sdr and the knobs right and all 3 are in the top 20 on sherwoods list. So you pays your money and takes your choice you cant please everyone.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Do you guys think Flex will not address the knob issues?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If they can, I am sure they will. 

If its a design flaw like the battery in the Maestro, then obviously not.

• Jeff Schwartz
    Jeff Schwartz Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Don't anyone get me wrong I love this radio, knobs and all. I've had issues with knobs  on many radios in the past and it didn't keep me from using them or buying them. However they were never made in America and I had no illusions that talking to a Japanese manufacturer would ever make a difference from a pipsqueak like me . In this case however, Flex appears to be a collection of pretty darn smart people and as far as I can tell at this point they are very responsive to their customer base.  So I believe it's reasonable to offer suggestions to consider when a product this new is just released. We are all sort of Beta testers in that regards. Since it's not a design change and only a software change I would think that would be right up their alley.  Even just a limiter function option on the max mic gain, just like there is on the power output knob  I would think would be nice and doable at some point. Changing the mic gain from the menu doesn't help big fingered people like me from accidentally starting a QSO with the gain at 89 when I last intentionally set it at 50. I suspect I've moved it when adjusting the output power.  I just pay more attention to it  now that I've done it a time or two and I can live with that "fix".
    Hey, with or without any changes  I'm not turning my radio in... Hi Hi

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.