MFJ-4035MV supply. Anyone using-remarks?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Anyone using one of these power supplies? Can you comment on them if so?
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Lou Dietrich

Lou Dietrich

• 47 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Not specific to your model...but here's an ARRL review of switching Power Supplies...

http://www.centralmiarc.com/docs/Reviews/dj175t.pdf

Lou N2TU
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
I can't find information on your power supply in question, but I have three MFJ-4230MVP supplies and like them a lot, switching them between various rigs including a FLEX 6300. They are totally silent and have been reliable to date. FWIW. Dave.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
MFJ no longer lists them but it looks like Gigaparts still has them.
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 78 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Have been using MFJ 4245MVP since year 2000. No problems with RFI. Fan sounds like bearing is broken, but has always been like that. If switching off and then on again, it refuses to start. It must discharge a capacitor before it can restart.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave KD5FX

Dave KD5FX

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I had one but then I found out it had several birdies (interference) on several ham bands! Sold it and got an Astron 35M. No switching power supplies for me! You don't notice them on a non-SDR but they stand out like a sore thumb on the panadapter of an SDR.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 342 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I didn't think this model was a switching supply? 
Photo of Dave KD5FX

Dave KD5FX

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OOPS! You are correct! I got my model numbers mixed up. That one is not a switching supply. Should be OK. However, I've always been leary of MFJ equipment, poor quality in many cases. Even their Hy-Gain equipment which they own now. I ordered a new DCU-3 rotor control, first one arrived and didn't work, I took a look inside, the soldering job was HORRIBLE! Looked like a 10 yr old did it! Replacement control works OK but I'm afraid to look inside....
Astron's are rock solid. 
Photo of John - wb2ihb

John - wb2ihb

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been using this supply (MFJ-4035MV), a linear power supply, for quite some time and never had a problem with it. Right now I am using it on a Flex-1500 with no problems. I also have an Astron RS-35M right under it and I have also used that with no problems either. Comparing the 2 using the Flex-1500 I see no spurious signals that could be attributed to the supplies based on running the Flex-1500 off of a 7AH battery.
(Edited)
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
thank you for those comments! much appreciated!