Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MD-200A8X Microphone LED

WQ2H - Jim Poulette
edited July 2018 in New Ideas
The FHM-2 mic is clearly a quality mic, but I had become really accustomed to the feel and that crazy little red LED on the MD-200A8X (Yaesu) that indicated that the radio was keyed. I've had the mic a few years and hated even the thought of parting with it.

Instead of modifying the Flex 8-pin Foster adapter I just got - I decided to build another one, this time with a +5Vdc connection between (Foster) pin 2 (+5V) and pin 5 (GND). The little red light is now back in action. I was surprised that the mics sounded very similar with recording tests when trying to build a new profile - again a testament to the fidelity of the FHM-2. The MD-200 required slightly more Tx gain to achieve the same level - but not much.

I suspect modifying the stock Flex cable assembly (ACC-8P-TRS) to simply add a 2-conductor +5V entry into the back shell would be pretty simple for the average user.

73 Jim, WQ2H

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.