Maybe we need a delay on the roadmap

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I would like to suggest that it might be time to take a break on the roadmap and focus a release on completing/fixing what we already have. LAN/WAN operation is going to be a big development project that will take at least 6 months. We have a lot of things that are not working well or are not fully implemented. If these items have to wait until after LAN/WAN, it is going to be a long year.

We are already several weeks behind from 1.3, let's use the next couple months to finish some existing features and add a few minor ones. Then pickup with remote operation.

Here are some examples that I hate to wait until after remote operation to see.

• Useable NB, NR, ANF(my pet peeve)
  • Fully functional tuner
  • Band maps on the pan adapter
  • Color palettes
  • Improved S-meter
  • Spots on the waterfall
I'm sure others will be able to suggest others.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I also think it would be a good idea too. I get a feeling that in the rush to give features, some rough edges get left. That is understandable, but it would be good for that to be recognised and get those edges smoothed.

73s de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
While all those features are important... and I was the original poster of requests for enhancements for  a few of those above myself (Color Palettes, Spots on Waterfall, Digital S Meter) ....

I also understand that Flex is in business to sell radios and make money so that they can stay in business

WAN and LAN remote is a HUGE marketing advantage which will not only differentiate Flex from everyone else in the market but more important it will sell a heck of a lot more radios...than those desirable enhancements.

I suspect that Flex is going to need those sales and Version 2.0 software revenues (LAN) in order to have the necessary resources to pay the costs of further enhancements...
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
I understand what you are saying but there comes a point that basic functionality trumps new features. New users will be disappointed with the radio if they bought for the "oh wow" features and the basic functions work poorly.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
I would tend to agree with KY6LA.  

Have you noticed that there has not been a real, in-depth article by QST on the 6000 family of Radios?  I would almost bet, just basing what I would do if I were FRS, that this is intentional. I bet the QST writers and FRS Marketing folks are waiting to have LAN/WAN ability released and in use.  We'll then see a bunch of articles written on the 6000.  This ability is THE game changer in the Amateur Radio business and will be the talk-of-the-town.  We certainly don't want any of the big three (or Elecraft) to beat them to the LAN/WAN punch.  What bad press that would be!

Everyone has an opinion, but in the end, FRS must do what keeps money coming in the door. Everything in Jon's posting are wonderful ideas and over time i think that they will find there way into a release.  In my opinion, there are bigger fish to fry.

Stay the course.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Jay,

Doesn't Icom already offer remote software for their radios? I know, the Flex will be superior, but I can't help but believe that the number of users interested in operating remotely is relatively small. I know all I want is LAN operation because my shack is in another building. If I was on the road, I would have my tower down and antennas disconnected for safety.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Yes and no.  Icom's control is a subset and is not the ability for full native control of the radio.  The same can be said about Kenwood's Sky Command.  

Flex Radio's LAN/WAN control will be NATIVE operational radio control with 2 way audio.  This is a first in class capability.
(Edited)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Jay,

There is no way Flex can send the same data stream to remote clients that they send to local ones. Start a ping session over an LTE connection and you will see 250ms(or more) latency. I'm sure Flex will do a good job dealing with this, but it will never be the same as operating your radio on your local network. SSB might be okay, but CW with a key is doomed.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of lyndy brannen

lyndy brannen

• 42 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I don't agree. with the original post.
I am fine with the way things are playing out. 
of the points you bring up I am only interested in Band Maps on the Panadapter.  
(Edited)
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
The age old dilemma.... You can satisfy SOME of the people ALL the time but you cant satisfy ALL the people SOME of the time.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Fix CWL so the Pitch doesn't change to 100. Most obvious. 
Fix jagged video on scope...Jaggies. Zoom in...You;ll see what I mean.
Fix CWX if there is any way to link delays and speeds to the main controls. 
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 319 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
   WAN ability is good.  WAN ability with these problems eliminated is better.

Ned, K1NJ
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 538 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
KF2E

Your pet peeve is mine as well.  I really really miss the outstanding NB on my Flex 5000.  I find myself having to use my 5000 instead of my 6300 at times when my local power line noise is high.  That is the only thing I don't like about my 6300.  Otherwise, it is outstanding.
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
mine too i still have the 5000 here too because i got a little qrn than the 6700 don,t take out i am looking for the nb to be fix mabe next download i hope
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Hi
Any release of any mod/upgrade /enhancement  has it's bugs . The Alpha & beta guys are there with an monumental effort to weed out these  WHOOPS  events . Usually it results in modifications/corrections  before it is released . Hesse a fully operational  upgrade .

The problem is :
                   We all have different setups. 

For sure  some are   Different from the Alpha & Beta group testers or they would have found it .

So Flex please follow your master plan . Please  during any of  the release's  
Anything needing fix   is FIXED . Then move on . 

I think they are doing this  once you get past some of the egos 
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I fully agree, but let's take the example of the ATU. It disengages when one changes mode and is functionally basic - with enhancements to be added.

There are only two scenarios; 1) They knew about this and decided to release it like that - bad move and 2) they did not know about it - poor QA. I am certain that an ATU that disengages on a mode change would be considered defective under UK law and I would definitely return it on that basis.

That this type of QA/testing exists needs to be addressed as something more serious and damaging to FR could happen next.

I am still buying a FR 6300 in a couple of weeks or so and have reserved my radio already. I get the impression that FR releases functions in a basic but functional state when they should give a but more time to raise the bar a bit.

53s de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1568 Posts
  • 772 Reply Likes

Hi Guy G4DWV

Which 6x00/ATU has given you grief? 

Would kindly say if it is the future one you're buying that you might want to hold until the functionality is 100% what you want. 

Or perhaps plan to recheck the ATU at mode/freq/band changes for the time being.

As it is less common to stay exactly on frequency and switch emission modes I don't think I'd observed the issue with my radio.  Then again my antenna set up doesn't need a tuner's help in but two or three bands.

Steve

K9ZW

Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Steve, I am going on what several others have said and confirmed here. I will not be buying the ATU as it is so over-priced here in the UK and underspcced. I would only consider buying it for $100 in its current state. It retails for $496 so I am getting an external ATU.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1568 Posts
  • 772 Reply Likes

The roadmap is great - and to suddenly switch plans (especially in regards to LAN and later WAN capabilities) would be unfair to those valuing those features who have been patiently waiting.

The additional suggestions are of course quite valid and perhaps could be ADDED to the RoadMap (some have been hinted about being potential add-ins or early deliveries than the Roadmap suggests).

Looking over the Roadmaps in the various versions,  FRS has delivered what they have mapped, often releases had much more than what was mapped out. 

Holding this last release 2-3 weeks to allow another Beta-Test cycle was smart and what I would expect of them - that FRS would never knowingly send untested/broken software out is a major part of the trust they have earned with us. 

We all have some favorite features we'd like to see right now, but that isn't the 6x00/SmartSDR program we bought into eyes wide open. 

Steve

K9ZW

(Edited)
Photo of L.Kubis

L.Kubis

• 88 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

I disagree with any farther delay in WAN availability!

Assuming the current Road Map holds, it will be 3 years since the introduction of the 6000 series, an introduction which promoted WAN heavily. Many antenna restricted people such as myself made a purchasing decision based on this as it was the answer to our survival as Hams. To us, WAN is not a "nice to have" feature, it is an "existential" one.

So lets not kick the WAN can down the road any farther, it's been far too long already.

BTW --I believe the WAN market is much larger than believed otherwise why would competitors be rushing to met this need. TT's Omni07 has done nicely having this capability which I have used since it's release in 2007.

Let's keep on mushing forward with WAN!!!

Cheers!

Lloyd

VE3ERQ

Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 319 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
   Excellent point,  Lloyd.  Keep to roadmap, but do the inevitable fixes.
Add features as convenience allows.  The roadmap is a commitment.
Fixes to this roadmap are part of that commitment.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 34 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I also agree that the WAN feature needs to be implemented sooner than later. That is the primary reason for my Flex purchase.  I had an Icom 7600 with the Icom remote access software.  Even though it worked ok it took several steps to use it.  I believe that there is a larger market for a true WAN based radio like what the Flex radio can be.
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
WHEW.... With all the talk about ROAD MAPS,LAN, WAN,NEW FEATURES, BUG fixes has my head spinning....Progress is a long road to perfection. I can't wait for SSDR Ver 5.9 to be released....FRS keep up the GREAT job....My hat is off to you....
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1057 Posts
  • 1097 Reply Likes
Jon, what do you mean by "Improved S-Meter"?
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Why do you pick that one item out of the things mentioned above. I have seen more comments about the lack of an effective NB. Just curious.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
(Edited)
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Steve I'll say this about the S meter. I find it hard to give a report because it flicks up too fast. It needs "dampening" or averaging or something. Also it needs to be a bit wider. The distance between S9 and 40 over is only about 3/8". Thanks for asking!
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Steve,

I added that to my original post based on comments from Howard KY6LA. I believe he is looking for a digital s-meter. My personal big item is improvement to the noise blanker and DSP. When impulse noise picks up at my location I just turn my radio off.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
The current S-Meter is virtually useless... It's color scheme (Red on Black)is almost impossible to read... Plus it's a tiny ANALOG meter that really does not give you much information... Steve K5FR has a fix in DDUTIL where you can get both S readings and much more useful DIGITAL peak and average dBm but I would prefer that on the slice.    The hover with your mouse over the S-Meter to get digital readouts is lame....

The same is true about the current implementation of the Power and SWR Analog Meters.... They would be so much more useful if one could get a DIGITAL readout of the Power and the SWR.. in a MORE Visible color palette... instead of having to install an external LP-100 so that I can see what is going with the transmit side of the radio... Imagine a radio with a real USEFUL built-in DIGITAL SWR/Wattmeter

That Said... I really do not want you to delay WAN for any reason whatsoever
Photo of DK1EY

DK1EY

• 177 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Overall, I am happy with my Flex 6300 but: The lack of a working NB/NR/ANF/APF is fierce.

For me it is of great interest, what FRS is planning to do. What about an updated (V2.0) Roadmap as requested in Roadmap V2.0?

VY73
Tom
DK1EY
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Hmmm. I just tried the auto notch. It's awesome. So fast that it is able to notch out 25 wpm cw tones. NR seems to work good too. Don't know about the blanker. The only time I ever used one was in a car. Generally they react to out of bandpass signals and induce their own QRM. 
Photo of David

David

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Steve, I have found that when the anf is used it notches the interference,  but the audio gets distorted and more distorted the longer it is implemented.  The nr also seems to distort the audio.  I think there has been some improvement to these features,  but  more improvements are possible. David-W4DWG
Photo of DK1EY

DK1EY

• 177 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Steve, ANF seems to work somehow. As I am a CW guy, APF is more interesting for me but has nearly no effect. NR and NR seems to be without any effect as well.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I don't know of ANY NR that works with narrow bandwidths commonly used for CW. I have a K3 setting here and NR does nothing at all unless the filter is opened way up and then, who needs it? CW has no need of ANF. APF works perfectly but with a narrow CW filter like 100 Hz, APF is useless. What's the point of peaking up audio that is already filtered by the IF?
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
David:
I just checked ANF on SSB. You're right. It totally distorts the audio. The feature should have been eliminated until it worked. 
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Steve,

Don't forget some of us work ssb.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Jon:
You bet....And I do to on some occasions but I won't be using the ANF.
Photo of DK1EY

DK1EY

• 177 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Steve, excuse the late answer.

I just checked NB/NR on SSB and APF on CW over the weekend. APF works okay, ANF distorts the audio and could be better. NB/NR is surely for use on broader bandwidth but - as I said - has nearly no effect with my 6300. As I said, overall I am happy with the rig.  But NR/NB have to be much better (compared to what they are able to do in the Flex 5k).
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Guy

For many of us with Advanced Antennas systems - like a SteppIR... the ATU is not an issue... as the antenna is always less than 2:1 on all frequencies - So we usually do not use the ATU

All SDR radios I have ever seen are just advanced Beta Software projects... Something is always changing as we find out about how it works vs how most of us need it to work once it is tested in a larger gene pool

The beauty of SDR software is that virtually everything can be changed in software.. So the radio you buy today is not the radio you will be using tomorrow...

Your comment  

"I get the impression that FR releases functions in a basic but functional state when they should give a but more time to raise the bar a bit".

really shows that you do not currently own a Flex Radio...   Most of us Owners want Flex to release features into the wild as soon as they are stable so that we can test them and suggest improvements to them..   Flex is really responsive to suggestions for changes.. but they really can't develop those changes until the basic stuff is tested by a large gene pool to determine what is missing

Legacy radio systems have been around for a 100 years... which means that they have had a lot of time to decide what is needed and what is not....

In time, SDR's will meet or exceed every feature of a Legacy Radio

BTW... I have been reading your posts for several weeks now about your getting a 6300 in 2 weeks...  When will you be getting yours?   I will be in the UK for 4 days at the end of September ...So if you finally get yours I may be able to help you set it up....
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
First stage of ordering everything to get things ready before buying the FR have been ordered. When I buy the FR I want to and get home and start using it immediately. 4' copper-plated earthing rod already in the ground. Tomorrow's jobs are to drill a 20 mm hole though the wall of my house for cables and solder some PL259's to my coax and connect my earth wire. Could ne a week or two from now depending on the &^%£$" weather, hi hi.

Regards

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
IMHO an updated road map for 2.x would alleviate a lot of the concern.  There are 300+ ideas in the community list with a status of "no status."   Some of them are new features, some are for fixes to existing features (as already noted) and many of them have quite a few votes.   A lot of them are probably bonus fillers for the releases and not considered worthy of a mention on the road map.  But I think after a long wait people want to know if / when the little things like color schemes and S-meter improvements will happen. 

I'm sure an updated road map will come eventually but as V1.x winds to a close soon, its natural for inquiring minds to want to know.  Maybe taking some time sooner than later to develop and publish the 2.x road map would be worthwhile.   

Priorities -- As far as the currently published priority, although WAN remote is not the most important feature to some of us, I am fine with what is planned and agree that for those that have been waiting, it would not be fair to push it back.  I suspect most would agree especially if they had a better idea of where the other things fall.  

Just seeing where the other items fall on the 2.x road map would be great, even if some of our favorites are out 12-18 months.    

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
(Edited)
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 319 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
     Inclusion in the roadmap provides assurance of issue resolution.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Just got my 6500 up and running after it sat on the shelf for a few months due to an illness. But all is well and after 2 days of fiddling I have it nearly working remote from my iPad. Just have to get the TX path working. While I was troubled with some com port and automation issues, it works great with my Steppir and SPE 2k amp. Auto band switching and antenna switching is the bomb ! BTW, when does the ICOM, Yaesu and Kenwood road maps come out?
(Edited)
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Being a prospective buyer I tend to agree with the OP. The NB is one of the most important capabilities on my rig today. Without it I would not be on the air thus why I have not jumped into the flex 6k. What attracts me are the possibilities but what I need are the simple necessities like NB, NR, Notch,etc. My suggestion is to always enhance with new features, always fix what is broken but always improve the basic nessesities. It's like owning a fully features sports car and saying you can't drive it when it rains. Not acceptable... Not even for a sports car.

The releases need a good balance of the three areas.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I am also a prospective buyer. I should be OTA next weekend after a break of over 25 years. I already have my 6300 reserved. There does have to be a balance between getting new features out of the door and fixing/tweaking what is there. There should be a healthy mix of the two.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
The NB, NR, are NOT broken. They work well enough for my operations and I work DX a and a lot of contesting.

The TNF (Notch) is superb. Best implementation of any radio ever. The complaint is from some people who would like the NR and NB to be more effective than it currently is.

You can definitely drive this sports car when it rains. Maybe not as fast as some drivers but as fast as I can drive.
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
do you work 6 meter or 2 meter ms or eme where you need every bit nb you can get the 5000 flex has a better nb than 6xxx right now
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
No... Strictly HF - 80-10M   with a SteppIR MonstIR

I can understand your needs especially for 2 and 6M .....

but as I said for my operating needs the NR. NB are good enough for now...and I can wait for them to get better when Flex has the resources to improve them.   For Example., I came first in ARRL DX SSB High Power for San Diego Section using that less than perfect NR. NB.. so obviously it was good enough for me..

For me - a Native WAN Remote Application - is by far the most important point on the Roadmap as 80% of my operating is from remote locations (Heading to remote location country #18 [Mallorca] tomorrow)

And as I said earlier in this thread... Flex will get far more marketing attention by being the first company with a great WAN application (I have used the K3, Icom WAN products... both still pretty lame)

Ultimately the beauty of Ham Radio is that so many people can do so many different things and need so many different features...
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay.

Expect to be OTA a week today unless the (in)famous British weather works against me. Should just have the antenna to string up by then.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
We will be in France from Aug 24 to Sept 30th then in Surrey and Hamshire Sept 30- Oct 3rd with XYL.... so it is not that far from your QTH ... Email me off the list at KY6LA at KY6LA.com  - if you get your new toy and need some help....
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Tnx, for the offer. Got a local standing by...

Have a great trip.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 538 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
People who don't need a noise blanker probably think the 6xxx series noise blanker is great.  However, those of us that are unfortunate enough to live in noisy environments think differently.   The NB on my 5000 is great.  I need it on 160 meters, 6 meters and it helps on 80 meters.  Don't need it on the other bands.  I have a hard time using the 6300 on 6 meters right now because the NB is not very good.   Each of us lives in different environments so our experiences are different.  I was just used to the great NB in the 5000 which spoiled me. My first Flex was a 1000 so I have been using flex radios for some time. The NB on the 1000 was great as well.   I am extremely happy with my 6300 and I am sure that the NB will get better, but until it does I will keep my 5000 for 6 meters and 160.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3974 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
I believe the notch is working correctly. There are some points that are not being stressed often as they should be. the one point the OP leaves out is that when you buy a Flex 6000 you are coming for a ride. Many of us want Flex to continue there road map plans as they have set out. It is important for them to continue with the features even when not perfect. So yes many things will not be working as well as we like. Flex needs the input from owners about the releases in order to find problems. Everyone can be part of the success of SSDR with there input on improvements.

This last release was the largest one to date as the profiles effect almost everything in the radio and there are thousands of things that could have gone wrong. I think this is the main reason NB and many noise filters are not working well. It would be a bad idea to get them working BEFORE profiles was added. Now that profiles is added it may be time to work on other fixes now we know how profiles effects them. This release had more testing needed than any other release for that reason.

It Amazed me it came off that we well,,very good Flex and all who help. Think Many should cut them some slack, If they understood what a huge project this is, many of the comments I read would be much different. Can you imagine what SSDR would be like today if Microsoft had developed it? You think it has problems now..lol
Photo of Steve - M3SXA

Steve - M3SXA

• 131 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Waiting for Fm.....;-) maybe get everything on the roadmap working then iron out all the bugs... I'm happy with the s-meter colours not interested in remote operation, as regards NR it's either seems to be on or off the slider appears to do nothing unless I'm missing something....
Flex Radio rocks... :-)
Photo of G4YDO

G4YDO

• 66 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
i quite agree, i`m waiting for fm. i think it`s very, very poor of flex not putting fm on from the startl. can you imagine icom or yaesu bringing a rig out without fm...
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Who do you talk to with FM? Are you using a transverter for VHF or something? I guess there are people doing that but I don't know any. 
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Who do you talk to with FM?
I'd imagine nobody at the moment as his rig does not do FM ;-).

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Have had lots of HF rigs with FM... even used it on 10M, 6M, 2M and 440 as there are lots of FM repeaters around here.. but I always used dedicated FM rigs...as it seems to be such a waste of a good HF rig.....  if you look me up on QRZ, you will see my VHF stack of Radios....

That Said...I have not used FM on any HF rig for at least 20+ years...

The locals who use FM on their HF rigs are mainly 6M HF Antenna Limited guys who chase those very rare 6M openings which happen about 5 days a year.... When 6M is open mostly it is CW and SSB not FM that gets thru....

Bottom Line:  FM is on the Roadmap for V1.4 in November.. 
Not really that big an issue... but if I had a vote about delaying anything to get WAN working sooner... it would be to delay FM.....

As you can read from this thread.. there are many different operating styles and needs that would accommodate those styles... Frankly Flex has been pretty good about keeping close to the Roadmap...
(Edited)
Photo of G4YDO

G4YDO

• 66 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
for me it is a very big issue i bought the 6700 as it covers 2m i`ve bought an amp ready. so don`t tell me it`s not an issue.

i think i`ll buy a real radio and leave you lot to play with your micky mouse toy radio.

anyway what`s the big deal about WAN can`t you just operate i one room like normal hams?

paul
(Edited)
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 281 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
If your gonna sell Paul I'm buying all of them I can get
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 34 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
"Can't you just operator in one room like normal hams?"  So I guess when a ham wants to operate outside of the place where the radio is located is not normal?  I don't think so.  Your main reason for purchasing your Flex is for FM which is fine but my main reason for the purchase was for WAN.  To each their own I guess.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
No I can't "just operate in one room like normal hams"  

I travel constantly for weeks at a time and I plan to continue to travel as long as I physically can....

Yes I have figured out how to operate via all sorts of kluges...Just search IPad on this community to see how I have done it...

I have bought virtually every other manufacturers attempt at WAN operation....   But they are all Lame Kluges...

The potential for a native remote WAN is the main reason I bought the 6700
Photo of pa0bie

pa0bie

• 152 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

As I am living in a high noise surrounding , I was very glad witn the FLEX 5000.  The NR and NB are working perfect. I hope to get the same in my FLEX 6700 as soon as possible.  The ANF and TNF in the 6700 are working very good for me in SSB.  For me the NR and NB has a much higher priority as LAN and WAN.

Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
when paid update come  
no way i will paid for fix basic thing like LAN crash and TUNER that usable

whit 1.3.0 still need to poll radio via CAT for keep it from crash , i well documented that 
and it really east to fix ..  i actually do it myself whit a external terminal application 

and for be able to fully use additional slice  for look for better DX spot
need to buy a External tuner ... since Change RX slice put off the ATU on TX slide
this is also very easy to fix 

make base work ,then will happy to paid for nice option feature 

Marc VE2OLM
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I don't think I have weighed in on this one, so to kick a dead horse some more....
I don't believe that we need any major delays in the roadmap to "catch up."
I have been very pleased and impressed at the progress over the past year since I got my 6500 in the second wave of "pre-release."  Each release has added important utility to my operation, and more enjoyment.  

While this is by far the best performing rig I have ever owned in my 40 years in ham radio.
I do agree that there are some important performance fixes and enhancements that should probably be on the list as they prepare V. 4.  Some are already on the roadmap, but others are what I might call "unfinished business" and "tweaks."

FM and Local LAN operation are major enhancements that are already on the "map" for 1.4.

I would also like to see programmable "sweet spots" for DigiU & DigiL that allows proper frequency readout and click-tuning on mark or space frequency.  Or perhaps a dedicated RTTY mode.  I can currently adjust my RIT/XIT up by 1415 Hz and get there.  I also set my TX Filter at 300, centered on the 1500 Hz sweet spot of FlDigi.  This way, I can use the 300 Hz Blue RX filter stripe to indicate my RX frequency and the 300 Hz Red TX Filter nicely indicates my RTTY TX frequency.  This makes it very hand in a RTTY split pileup.

After that, I would suggest that they make serious effort on the following:
DSP:
NB - is OK, but needs some more work before it is First Class, especially on 10 & 6 Meters and above.
NR - seems to lack much adjustment and could be tweaked.  I don't find it to be as effective as the one on PowerSDR
APF - is pretty good, but could use some additional refinement, perhaps addition of adjustable volume as well as 'Q'
ANF - is usable but still distorts the audio too much.  
Thankfully the TNF is awesome! and so effective that I hardly ever use ANF!
AGC - I would like to see a Custom AGC offered with several parameters such as attack, hang, decay, and pulse activation level that would allow fine tuning the AGC response for varying band conditions.  I wouldn't need sliders or up/down arrows, simply boxes to put numbers in on a set up page that define those timing elements.
Double Peak RTTY Filters, anyone?  This could help reduce some interference on RTTY.  It would also be a great visual cue to help tuning.  

GUI - This is what I will call "interfacing and metering."
There are several metering enhancements that could be achieved, for example:

S-Meter.  I really would like to see something similar to the options in PowerSDR, which include a larger meter, selectable formats & colors, and a digital readout integrated into the display, with options for peak hold, and averaging/dampening.

Power Output & SWR Meter - I would love to see a display with more contrast, especially for those with color sight issues, as well as a digital power output option with peak and average options.  I would NOT want the meters for Power, SWR or S-Meter to be replaced with digital ONLY.  Numbers are great for some things, but better to quickly visualize changes.

General Options and interfacing... There are several operating parameters that could be made adjustable with up/down arrows and numbers rather than sliders (just like CW Pitch, TX Low Cut/High Cut, etc .)  This is more precise and repeatable.  And they might take up less room on the display.  Click & Hold could allow for speedy adjustment of large number swings.

I would like RX EQ and RIT/XIT settings and status to be linked to the Transmit Profiles so I can set up custom RX EQ modes for different situations.  changing RX EQ, RIT/XIT and AGC settings every time I change from Rag Chew to DX to RTTY to CW consumes a lot of my time.  Having them linked to Transmit Profiles would let me customize all of these related operational parameters.   Global Profiles is not a good solution for this because the Global Profile also changes frequency, mode, panadapter, slice, and other things that I do not want to change "on the fly" in a busy operating session.

ATU - Needs to be much Smarter.  It should not require reactivating and re-tuning the ATU merely because I changed modes, or Transmit profiles.  (Bands, or Antennas, yes)  Please fix this logic.  If I haven't changed frequency substantially or changed the antenna port, the ATU should keep its current state.
Later, you can add more intelligence, i.e. frequency & antenna memories that will remember the last setting of the ATU for that frequency and antenna.  This would speed everything up greatly.

I would like to see better AGC Speed and AGC-T persistence linked to Band and Mode.  As it is, many times when I click on a spot it doesn't go back to my "default" AGC settings for that band & mode.
Perhaps there could be a global parameter default settings form where these could be entered?  I know that Global profiles should take care of this, but it doesn't seem to fully implement it.

I make all of these suggestions, not as gripes, but as enhancement suggestions.  As I have said, this is a superb rig.  I am only dreaming of additional utility that will make it a rig that so "leading edge" that the other guys can't even hope of catching up.

That being said... I do not want to see WAN remote capabilities delayed while these are being implemented.  As others have said, WAN Remote is an important feature for many of our owners and potential buyers.  I am away that many of us may never use it. But many users never use SSB, or RTTY, or CW either. WAN Remote paves the way to so many innovations that we have only begun to dream of them.

Keep up the good work, FRS.  You have a great product.  I look forward to seeing it get even better.

Since many of the suggestions may be of interest in another topic chain, I will post this in a new "Idea" as well. 

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Why not just take all the nice features on PowerSDR and put them on SmartSDR and be done with it?
Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
It's a Simple Matter of Programming - SMOP... however, there are many issues to consider such as totally different architectures, PowerSDR is mostly open source but SmartSDR is (appropriately) proprietary.

All things look easy until you understand the issues.  Then its difficult.
Stu K6TU

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.