Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

max temp the radio have

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
What is the max temp the radio can safely operate?  this evening while on JT9 the temp of the radio was 51.9C , The fan ramped up and radio cool down pretty fast after the last QSO.

Answers

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited August 2015
    Hopefully this will answer your question James.... Here is the response to an earlier post...

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 283 Posts
    • 74 Reply Likes
    Official Response

We definitely do a keydown test on all of our radios before we begin shipping.  I don't have the detailed data in front of me for the FLEX-6300, but I can assure you the answer is 100W.  Typical behavior on these tests in our lab is the radio will asymptotically approach an equilibrium where the heatsink's ability to cool equals the heat dissipation of the transistors.  This point is well under 90° C in our lab environment and I know we have done multi-hour tests to prove this on all of the FLEX-6000 series (in at least one case, we ran them overnight).

Obviously the ambient temperature and airflow factor into this equation, so we will do shorter tests where we constrict airflow.  Rest assured that the transistors (and surrounding design) in these radios are very rugged.

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The radio will warn you when it is within 5C of the operating cutoff and give you an opportunity to fix any airflow/temp problems.  The radio will self-protect when it gets to its temperature limit by shutting down.  You will have a warning in SmartSDR on the PC when/if this happens.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    High fan speed kicks in at 70c. The radio shuts down at 90c... Both temps measured at the heat sink, which is somewhat cooler than the transistor itself, and the transistor is rated for a considerably higher temp. So, at 50c I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.