Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Max RTTY Power Levels on the 6600....

Ray
Ray Member ✭✭
I have an amp so I don't intend to usually run more than 60W or so on RTTY, but the RTTY NAQP is a 100W event, so I'm interested in whether the 6600 can run 100W with a very high duty cycle. Typically not a good idea, but my IC-7300 does it with no problem, so I thought I'd ask. I don't even know where to manually feel for excess heat if things might be heading towards dangerous territory .  Thoughts from the Community? TIA, 73, Ray N6HE

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ray,
      The flex radios will generally protect themselves from over temp.  The fan(s) will run faster and it should shut down before it fails..  Both FRStack and DDUtil will display the PA temperature in real time.  
    AL, K0VM
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I ran my 6500 in RTTY contests with no issues at full output.  Remember that unless you're doing SO2R, your duty cycle is still around 50% while making Q's, and somewhat higher calling CQ Contest.  Search & pounce is much lower duty cycle.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    There should be no problem at all. The Flex radio is made for this. And if it ever did get to hot, damage would never happen as the radio is very protected.
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ray....Flex will handle it...but my question is why?

Even with your 7300, why would you want to bring your rig close a 'stresser'...plus you have an amp!

My thought has always been keeping the heat out of the radio. So yes, go ahead and run the 6600 at full output...but a better idea is to have the 6600 loaf and let the amp do what amps do best!

Just my opinion.

Lou N2TU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.