Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Matt NQ6N remote keyer works!!!

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I rapidly wired a WinkeyerUSB to the three data lines of the physical RS232 com port of the PC and connected Matt's app to SSDR. Voila - suddenly I could send locally made CW with sidetone over my remote connection to my 6700. So another remote keyer solution in addition to Remote Rig and some other API-solutiond posted here It is supposed to work over Smartlink as well in this updated version. But I did not test this. Another ham (AA5W) reported it working well in the CWT contest. More info: https://groups.io/g/RemoteKeyerInterface.

Comments

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Kari, is the local sidetone from the Winkeyer speaker or from your headphones?  

K1ESE
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2019
    I listened to my headphones and heard the local sidetone here. But I beleive I also heard the sidetone on the Winkeyer.  
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What's the advantage, if any, over the RenoteRig box setup?  I went to RemoteRig on your advice after my problem with Maestro CW over SmartLink for remote CW.  It is not perfect, but pretty good, maybe dropping/garbling one character in 50.

For contesting I have gone to using VNC to run N1MM+ at the radio with a physical Winkeyer there for the N1MM+ function key messages.  That sends perfect CW.  VNC also is used to control the antenna switch , rotors, tuners, and amp at the radio site.  I use the RemoteRig boxes for paddle sending for contest fills and for audio.  I use the Maestro to control the remote radio and provide the panadapter over SmartLink.

What setup are you currently using for contesting?

K1ESE

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Kari - your setup looks very practical and worth a try. What brand and model of winkeyer are you using?

73 Paul
    w2eck
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2019
    Here is a video showing the software in use both over the local WInkeyer and then with N1MM. 

https://youtu.be/kuTed43fE4A

Thanks Matt for great work!!! I owe you a swedish smorgoasboard at IKEA :) 
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2019
    To be honest I use the same set up as you with Remote rig boxes. But I use these boxes 100 % of the time. No "team viewer" to do remote CW-keying. 
    I do not see any problems with my CW-keying. Judging from the LCR reports I receive (usually 3,5 % error rate and some 20 wrongly copied calls out of 1500 QSO:s) it seems to produce fine CW. 
    Now with Matts new keyer there is an alternative I guess. But I have not tried it yet over a contest.   One advantage is the low cost of the NQ6N keyer. Many have a winkeyer in their shack. Perhaps the physical RS-232 is an obstacle as most PCs don't have that option.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2019
    The K1 original winkeyer. No "clone" winkeyer :)  and the set-up is very straight foward. It took some 10 minutes to do the wiring and connecting to the physical RS-232 D-sub 9 on the bcak om my Dell tower PC. All worked then like "plug and play". 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Is there any possibility of using the winkeyer through a Maestro to the remote site or is latency still an issue?

Tim VE6SH

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2019
    Yes I tried with a winkeyer clone in a contest. It worked OK. If I recall correctly it did not work with the original K1 winkeyer. No added latency.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Kari

Tim
  • Pekka, OH2TA
    Pekka, OH2TA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Karl, where could I get the connection diagram of PTT and KEY in RS-232 connector? Can not access the pdf document in the groups.io site. Also wonder if this works with the maestro as well. Trying to find out a solution to hear my own CW when using Wintest with PC and maestro. In remote site I only have the Flex6400 radio and raspberry Pi, no PC.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2019
    Hi, look here. i got it from the user group. It seems as Matt is not active on the user group right now. With Maestro you may connect a winkeyer to the Maestro but I only got it working with a winkeyer "clone". Of course you can use Maestro for paddles CW and Matt ́s remote app for the WIntest sidetone generation as long as Wintest generates a com port to connect to the winkeyer which in turn is connected to the app. 

http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/?p=429&preview=true
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Kari-  You used and RS 232 connection with the Winkeyer. Any reason why a USB connection fm Winkeyer  to PC wouldn't work in this setup ?

73 Paul w2eck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.