Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mark pan adapter background with S-units

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas
Would it be possible to add an option to have the panadapter background horizontal lines correspond to S-units?

Comments

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Agree. My mind thinks in S units.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I use to think in s units that world of units with no set factor to determine what a S 9 was. . S units have been manipulated by radio manufactors to give the appearance of sins active receivers when it was just a calibration of the S meter. I now use -DBM when talking to my contact and have done so for the last 7 years since I bought my first sdr 1000 and realized I had a lab quality device to tell a person the diffeence in two antennas or different power levels in DBM not the estates s units. So I say why would you want to talke a 21st century panadapter giving you persist measurement and go to a 20th century terminoagy of s units. Foes has given you a S meter to use, I personaly have the woodbox meter loaded which is muchhhhhhhhh better as a smeter. And if you want to convert the scale of DBM to s units you can use -71 DBM as a s9 and every s unit below it is -3dbm and occurs every the ones above are easy, it's the DBM showing minus the 71 .
  • Albert PA0A
    Albert PA0A Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    To my knowledge S9 = -73 dBm and each S unit is 6 dB
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Didn't PowerSDR offer a choice in the menu? I know NAP3 does. 
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    SmartSDR has a built in S-meter, so the software already has some calibration from dBm to S-units, but it would beanie feature if the user could select their own calibration. I realize that I could always from the panadapter display using some calibration, but why should I have to do something that the compute could do easily?
  • Kevin WB4AIO
    Kevin WB4AIO Member
    edited December 2016
    If the panadapter was calibrated in S-units, you'd quickly discover that the S-meter and the highest signal peaks of an SSB signal on the pan display would not agree. This is because the S-meter is measuring the sum of all the voice components in the passband, while the panadapter is showing the separate amplitudes of each of the many components in the received voice signal.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I agree that the S-Meter would disagree with the panadapter for the reason you state, but  seeing the peaks of the signal that your working would enable you to give the other operator a meaningful report.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    S Meters LIE There is absolutely No Consitency between S Meter readings among different radios even within that same brand of radio or even on different bands within the same radio So a S-Meter reading is invariably useless information except in very broad terms By contrast we have an absolutely accurate dBm scale on our radios. Give them a report in dBm ....it will be much more accurate and even useful.
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited October 2014
    cORRECT !!
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ok I run the woodbox S meter great free product. I wish the smeter read in DBm without hovering over it. Now is you want s units do as I and many others have done. Download ddutil it has a scree that reads voltage, s unit and DBM xaverage and peak that should satisfy every desire you would have. I doubt you will ever see a high tech program like smart sdr show the pan in s units but the ddutil will alow you to give the S meter reading in s units without looking at the little snake we have now.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    This is an old post, but I would still like to see the option to have the vertical scale of the pan adapter be in S units or dBm. This is a feature of the Elecraft P3.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.