Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Making a cable for a WinKeyerUSB

N6WT Kent
N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I would like to make a cable for my WinKeyerUSB to connect to the ACC port of my 6500. My question is do I need to attach the ring connector of the RCA plug to a ground on the 6500?? I will be using a Winford Breakout Board for the ACC connector.

Answers

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    What WinkeyerUSB output are you connecting to the 6500?
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020

I don't think you should connect the ring to a ground at all. If connected to anything, it should be to a PTT input. That way, the WinKeyer USB can control PTT and you can key the Flex without setting BreakIn. I built my own 1/8" TRS (WinKeyer) to DB15 cable (Flex AUX input). I don't have the DB15 pinout in front of me, but the tip went to CW input, the ring to PTT input and sleeve to ground. It worked on both the 6300 and 6700 (I upgraded).

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Kent,

By ring connector of an RCA plug do you mean the shield?  If so, then the answer is "yes".

I have my WinKeyerUSB connected to my FLEX-6700 as follows:
    1. Center pin of RCA connector to pin 4 on ACC connector.
    2. Shield of RCA connector to pin 5 of ACC connector.  (You may use pin 5, 6, 7, 8, or 10 of the ACC connector, they are all connected to chassis ground.)
    The wiring would be the same for a FLEX-6300 or FLEX-6500.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I think I mis-spoke. My cable was for a WK Lite, not the WinKeyerUSB. The Lite has a single TRS jack with TIP - CW, RING - PTT, SHIELD - GROUND. I also have a WinKeyerUSB which does have RCA jacks.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    There is a PDF document on the Flex website about using A WinKeyerUSB with N1MM+. It has a diagram showing the PTT and Key jacks on the WinKeyerUSB being connected to pins 4 and 14 on the radio. Is this not the case? Still should the ring or outer connection (shield) on the RCA plug be connected to a ground pin on the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.