Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Make DAX and CAT part of SmartSDR.

Iain McLachlan
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Make DAX and CAT part of SmartSDR. I don't see the point of having three programs from one company, for it's own device. DAX is partly in SmartSDR already, so why not finish the job. 

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It makes a ton of sense to have it separate.   I run DAX and CAT on many computers at my QTH.  I only run SmartSDR on one computer.   I run my digital station, logging station, and SmartSDR interface all on separate computers.   That is why these are independent applications. 
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Let me see...
    1. Because I run all three components on different computers.
    2. Because multiple different clients can make use of the same DAX and CAT
    3. Because it allows for independent development
    DAX isn't in SmartSDR other than for the configuration of the streams mapped to slices or pan adaptors.  All of the smarts are handled by the DAX process.

There's a lot of different configurations within which the radio, the SmartSDR client, CAT and DAX can be used.  It offers a lot of Flex-ibility to have them separate! 

Stu K6TU
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Some good documentation, architecture diagrams and app notes would go a long way here!  I'm with Iain - I have absolutely no idea how the different programs might be distributed across multiple computers to build a more effective station.  I believe there's a reason, but we need more than anecdotes to make the case.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Start writing...

Seriously, I know everyone if time limited.  Right now is contesting season and between the day job and that, I don't have the energy to go write documents that explain different configurations.

I run three different computer to control my station - yes, thats my choice - I operate remotely as you know and that happens to be a configuration that works for me.

Each station and operators needs vary - I happen to have a configuration that works for me.

This is supposed to be a community - folks help one another that is clear - and from time to time, have written some outstanding how-to's - sure would be nice if more helped pick up the task.

I'm not picking an argument or on anyone BTW - just making the point that we can all contribute more especially when it comes to station design and integration.

Stu K6TU
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stu,

I agree with you!  I'd write some documentation if there was some baseline information.  But I honestly don't know enough about the architecture to do that. 

I have a configuration that works but I have no way of judging if it's luck or best practice.  If I understood it better I could do a better job assessing how to fit all the shims together and know if they'd decrease my workload.  My experience with shims like DDUTIL has been they create uncertainty.  I've also found that DAX and CAT's ability to hang independently of SSDR creates uncertainty.  Sometimes one definitive hang is better than three or four independent applications that all must work but crash independently.

I understand the developer economics won't lead to a substantially different place and standards are unlikely to evolve.  Lots of good stuff here, but clear system integration guidelines are not with us yet.  I've spent the last year DXing instead of coding, so I guess I share some of the blame.
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK - if people want to keep it separate - let's have (install-time) options to allow the current independent automagic start-up at boot up (but move to "services" for better)
    control ) -- AND -- include a SmartSDR startup option that can be set to issue internal start commands for both.  This should offer maximum flexibility.

Alex KM5YT

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I just want DAX Control Panel to be accessible from somewhere other than that TINY ICON in the bottom right Notification Center...

It's almost impossible to activate it when I remote into the system because it appears so small on my iPad
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Go to the windows program select (lower left corner), type in DAX, right click and select COPY, then paste shortcut on the desktop.  No more need to find that small button.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    That does NOT WORK

The issue is that I need to start the DAX Control Panel
    So I can control DAX settings, levels, etc

One still CAN NOT start the DAX Control Panel from there
    So I am still stuck with trying to right click a miniscule icon

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Open it from the notification bar, then minimize it, not close it.  If you minimize it, it will go down to the main task bar, if you close it, you need to reopen it from the notification bar.  That is what I do and I keep it open 24/7.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Your solution only works if one has actually been able to start the Control Panel for the First Time

The issue is that the Icon in the Notification Bar is so TINY and it needs a right click (two fingers on an iPad Remote) that it becomes a totally hit or miss event to open the DAX Control Panel.  I have literally wasted significant time to get it started for the first time when I am remoting.

I would love to have a regular ICON to open the DAX Control Panel rather than screwing around trying to right click that virtually impossible to activate TINY Notifications Icon.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Agreed that it's a small target, but if you do this prior to going remote then at least its open.   To ease the pain, you can set windows to always show the DAX icon.  You can also double click on the icon instead of right clicking and picking show to open it up.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I go remote for 3 -6 weeks at a time..

It is likely that I will remotely reboot the computer several times during that period
    So leaving DAX Control Panel open is just not realistic as the next time I reboot it will be closed.

I am very computer competent (Built my first one in 1958)

I long ago set the Notifications to ALWAYS show DAX

As I said, double clicking on a tiny target (two fingers on my iPad Remote) as at best a hit or miss event.

I could be fixed if the Show Control Panel were a regular Icon rather than as a Right Click onto the Tiny Notification Section..
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    First off,  please don't take offense to my over explaining on how to do a simple task in windows.   I help many people and cannot assume their technical expertise.  

I agree with your request, but since there is nothing we can do about it now, it's all about making do.  As an alpha tester,  I made this enhancement request long ago as well.  I also requested that they invert or change the Icon a bit since it looks just like the CAT icon when it is that small.  I'm sure they may address if it enough us us "+Like" the thread.
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Please see my post from today which will illustrate why the software needs to be separate for some of us...de W3DCB Daniel
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just as a note... Making the application run (or not run) from the system tray is a VERY small coding change. So what your asking for is not at all difficult ... Less than ten minutes of work. You just have to get the debs to agree.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The code to get it to run takes 5 minutes.  The changes to the GUI to support the feature is not trivial (coding, testing,  documentation ya-da-ya-da-ya-da).  THis is a feature request that is on the books.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    (Point taken.  I was merely trying to clarify the scope of this change for the community.  If you're not a dev, it's not necessarily clear to you what's a "big change" and hence a lot to ask for and what's a "small change" that should be too very difficult for the dev team.

I certainly agree that no change to a released product is ever, truly, trivial.  Ever.  10 minutes of code quickly turns into 3 hours of code, test, "how does this look?", "How should this work?", and then doc, edit.)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.