Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro's "B" Tuning Knob Additional Function Idea

Bob - W7KWS -
Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in New Ideas
As it stands today in Maestro firmware version 1.9.13, the "B" tuning knob apparently has no function when only slice "A" is open.  At the same time, I always seem to want a different "Step" rate when tuning the bands using the main tuning knob but moving through the steps is time consuming and disrupts the flow in many operating environments.

Since knob "B" is available with no assigned function in this one-slice mode, which is 95% of the time here, I suggest having knob "B" tune slice "A" at whatever step rate "B" is set for. 

With this I could use it like a band spread.  Others might use it to get across the band quickly, Etc.  I suggest that at least one 500 Hz. "Step" setting, with rounding, be available that only moves the radio one step per 1/8th turn.  This would allow for simplified "Channel" tuning without having to carefully finesse the knob back and forth until it's right on frequency.  This could be viewed as a convenient software equivalent for the hardware detent knob that I find convenient on some other radios.

If you think this would be useful, please comment and/or vote or like this post to indicate your support to Flex.

73!

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Something I'd like to see all HF radio manufacturers do is build in a speed coordinated tuning steps, or at least have the option to activate such a feature.  Turn the knob slowly and you tune in small steps, turn it quickly and you move in larger steps.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    This is called adaptative rate tuning or tuning acceleration and it exists in SmartSDR.  It is active on both the FlexControl and the Maestro.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, a higher ratio would work better for me if an alternate menu setting were to be made available down the road sometime. Just for clarity, I do hope the suggestions I made above obtain traction. Adaptive tuning, while important, doesn't cover the other conveniences I mentioned. Thanks! Glad that you see all these posts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.