Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro will not run on battery power

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro

My Maestro has just been returned to me after repair at
Flex (it was dead on v 1.8.3 upgrade).  Since it's return I've used it on external 12v power for over a
week without any issues but my first attempt to run using USB battery power was this weekend and to my surprise it will not run on battery power! 

On battery power when the Maestro first connects to my Flex 6500 the following message appears on the Maestro screen : "Low power. plug in Maestro or swap battery. shutting down in 2:00 "  After the 2 minute countdown the Maestro powers off on it's own. I've tried both Mogix (10400 mAh) and Polanfo (12000 mAh) suggested batteries. I've tried a total of 5 different batteries, all of which are new and have been cycled and fully charged with the same result!

Since it's return from Flex I did successfully upgrade the software to v 1.8.4.18   I've created another help desk ticket and will wait for Flex to answer on Monday.  In the mean time I'll run it on 12v external power.   I'm wondering if the USB cable could have come loose inside the Maestro during shipping?  

Cal/N3CAL

Comments

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cal, I get that message after about 2 minutes after start up on a Mogix battery. I can dismiss it and the Maestro keeps going. My message has an OK button to dismiss it.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hi Cal,

Wondering if you have a low charge on the internal battery. Connect the Maestro to external power and let it sit off for 15 minutes then try and power it off the battery pack. You should have a battery indicator to the right of the WiFi signal icon. This is the charge indicator for the internal pack.

Dave wo2x

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @ Bob,   I'm unable to dismiss this error.  There is no OK button,  the Maestro just shuts down at the end of the 2 min countdown...

@ Dave,  It's odd,  if you look at the picture I posted above you will see there is NO battery indicator displayed and yes there is a battery connected to it??  My Maestro has been on external 12V shack power at all times so I would assume the internal battery should be fully charged.  When it's plugged into external 12v power there is a "plug" icon there. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Do you see multiple versions available?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    make sure your plugged into the 2.1A USB Jack on the Batteries, I know I ran into this having the Maestro plugged into the 1A USB Jack.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @ David,  what do you mean by "multiple versions"? 

@ Bret,  the Mogix (10400 mAh) has 2.1A and 2.5 A USB connections.  I've been plugging into the 2.5 A with them.  On the Polanfo (12000 mAh) batteries I've been using the 2.1 A plugs..

Cal/N3CAL
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Sounds like the battery (USB) cable has become disconnected - while being serviced or during shipment.  Tim, other than pulling the cable, how can a connection be confirmed?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2016
    After choosing the radio it shows you the software version. The Maestro is capable of storing older versions. I do not know if your unit has an older version that you can load in case it is an OS issue.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Dave,  yes my Maestro shows the original 2 versions (v 1.7) of Maestro software plus v 1.8.4.  Tim previously suggested I should not go back to the earlier versions because they would not have the code that would prevent the Maestro from getting stuck in the CPU load mode.   I think it's best I stay at v 1.8.4 for now but thanks for all your suggestions. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agree with Stan, sounds as it the USB cable has become disconnected internally. 

Tim
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Some of the USB batteries require you to press a button to activate the USB power.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2016
    Tim had stated not to downgrade from 1.8.3 since it may brick. 1.8.4 has code that is supposed to prevent that from happening. At this point wait and see what Flex says tomorrow. Dave
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi,

I may be off base here and not sure it pertains
    to the Maestro. A lot of portable equipment that
    can be powered either by battery, or external
    power, usually will disconnect the internal battery
    when the power plug is inserted. Maybe the coaxial
    power jack is not closing the circuit when the
    external power plug is removed. The reasons could
    be numerous and the only way would be to remove
    the cover (which I am not advocating) and check
    the power jack. I had this happen once with a
    portable radio which was my own abusive fault.
    Again it depends on the circuitry which may not
    apply here. I am sure the Flex team can quickly
    discount this theory if it is wrong. Good luck.

73, Jim N9VC

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks to all who chimed in for suggestions!  They are all equally appreciated!  Flex has responded to my Help Desk ticket and sadly the Maestro is on it's way back to Austin for repair again.  73

Cal/N3CAL

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    They ought to just send you another one for all the issues you had

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.