Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro will not boot!!

Bill, N9OE
Bill, N9OE Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
After purchasing SmartSDR 2.0, I updated my Flex 6500 using my PC as I usually do. The PC version of SmartSDR and the Flex 6500 updated perfectly. Then, I was looking forward to updating my Maestro and trying it next. I took it off the shelf (where it was stored since Field Day and without a battery for the last week) and plugged it into the supplied power adapter and Ethernet connection. When I tried to power it up, I didn't get the normal Maestro boot screen, in fact I wasn't sure it was coming on at all until I looked closer at the screen to see the LCD backlight was on. I did not get any backlighting around the buttons either, although I can't remember if they came on after bootup. I tried several more times to boot the Maestro and got nowhere except an occasional blue recovery screen. This reminded me of the days when my PC hard drive failed or something went wrong with the boot sector. This is very dissaponting. This device has only been used for Field day since I purchased it and as a toy around the house. I doubt it has 40 hours on it! Furthermore, after purchasing SSDR2.0, I was looking forward to trying smartlink on the Maestro and bring it on vacations ☹. Frustrated by my expensive new paperweight, I put in a helpdesk ticket (#19001) on July 26th and got a quick response from Dudley in less than 2 hours! He sent me a long instruction of things to try and unfortunately none of them helped with the problem. That day, I replied back asking for more ideas and haven't got any response from Flex Radio as of yet. What should I do? Is there a way to recover my Maestro? Could it be the internal battery? Could it be that the SSD has failed already? Please help.

Comments

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Bill,
    I would give Dudley a call tomorrow if you can.  Does sound like it could be an issue with the internal battery. Dunno just guessing.  But I would think a phone call is in order.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Please open a support ticket and we will fix it for your
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I believe you need to keep the Maestro plugged in so that the internal battery stays charged.  If you let the maestro sit on the shelf without any power to it, the battery will go dead and the Maestro will no longer boot up.

Try leaving it plugged in over night and see if it will boot in the morning.  If not, you'll have to send it in to Flex for a battery change, or maybe they are having folks do this procedure in the field now.  I'm not sure.  I can't imaging it being too hard.  I'm not sure if it is but the battery should be one that can be changed without soldering.  They should have installed a battery holder and all one should have to do is open the case, locate the batter, pop the old one out and put the new one in.   I'm not sure if this is the case though.  Anyone on here know for sure?

Norm - W7CK
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Try doing a full shutdown of the Maestro. When the backlighting is on hold the power button. Continue to hold it for at least 60 seconds. All lighting (buttons and backlighting should go off. Then try to power up normally.

If that does not work, open a Help Desk ticket.

Dave wo2x

• Bill, N9OE
    Bill, N9OE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Micheal, I opened a helpdesk ticket (#19001) on July 26th that has not been resolved. Should I open a new one?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    no, not at all.  I will ask them to get back to you today.
  • Bill, N9OE
    Bill, N9OE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've done a full shutdown and allowed the internal battery to charge for several days on the supplied power adapter. Still nothing.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Dudley should be contacting you shortly.
  • Bill, N9OE
    Bill, N9OE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've had to do that to my son's Google Nexus when he deep discharged it too.
  • Bill, N9OE
    Bill, N9OE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Tim!
  • Les Michaelson
    Les Michaelson Member
    edited February 2018
    I have the same problem, boots up to waterfall black sreen. when I push the menu button a window pops up Maestro is not responding! Forums are great but poster never posted his fix or result!!!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Please open a support ticket.  thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.