Maestro VFO A tuning knob

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
The tuning knob for VFO A on my Maestro jumps, stutters, freezes, and sometime goes backwards.  VFO B works perfectly.  Tim sent me a replacement weight for the knob but that did not make any difference.  He told me to submit a trouble report.

I have had this problem through the last three Alpha software releases.  Now on V1.11.3.

Maestro serial nr. 5315-5091-0100-0035.

73...   Bill Axelrod K3WA
Photo of Bill Axelrod

Bill Axelrod

• 33 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
  • Happy because I know your customer service is GREAT!

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 822 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
Bill,  should this go to the Alpha test group?
Photo of Bill Axelrod

Bill Axelrod

• 33 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Larry,

It already has.  I first reported it via email to the Alpha group.  Then Tim sent me the replacement weight for the knob.  We think it is the decoder.  He asked me to do the trouble report so they could issue the forms for the Maestro's return home.

73...   Bill
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 822 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
I agree Bill...  The problem description you gave would lead one to suspect the decoder for Slice A/Knob A on your Maestro regardless of the firmware level.
Good luck es 73
Photo of Barry J Cohen

Barry J Cohen

• 32 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

I have the same problem with mine!

Barry J 

N2BJ

Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 51 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Bill:

I have the same problem.   I have contacted Dudley on the issue, he requested that I perform a full reset on the Maestro.  I have done that several times, once it appeared to resolve the problem, however, after a few minutes of use the erratic operation returned.    

The problem is very noticeable with a pan adapter span of approximately 10 KHz and 100 Hz steps.

Gayle K0FLY
Photo of Bill Axelrod

Bill Axelrod

• 33 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Gayle,

The gent who helped me was Tim Ellison at Flex.  He believes that the problem is the encoder itself and not software related.  Before contacting Flex I went through the full reset, software re-installation, etc. with no joy.

Flex customer service has been very good to me.

73...   Bill
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 51 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Bill:

Thanks for the input, I also tried software re-installation and even went back to 1.9.xx before contacting Dudley.  He wanted me to perform the reset prior to going to the next step.

I can hear a rubbing/scraping sound as I rotate my encoders.  Approximately two scrapes per revolution.  I have never heard this on an encoder before, however, I have never used one with a push button function.  This maybe normal for an encoder with this feature.  This will be the second trip to the hospital for the Maestro.

Gayle
Photo of Bill Axelrod

Bill Axelrod

• 33 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
The scrapes you hear are not normal.  I have used my Maestro and five others at a contest station and a friend's.  No scrapes.

73...   Bill
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 51 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Bill:

Thanks, Dudley just sent me an RMA number. 

Gayle K0FLY
Photo of Bill Axelrod

Bill Axelrod

• 33 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Great!
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 426 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Ran into the same problem - Plus another:  They are:
 - The VFO-A knob is out of balance - And there is too little drag on the encoder - Resulting in the knob physically turning when the finger depression is at 90 or 270 degrees (rotates back towards 0 degrees)
 - PS hum gating the audio from the speakers - Headphone audio is good

Fortunately when running I can press the A Lock and use headphones until the radio is finished the week on VE100VIMY/VE7 special events.  
Dudley - expect a call next week
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3497 Reply Likes
Official Response
This issue is being handled via the HelpDesk.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 299 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
My vfo knob is that free spinning if you blow on it it moves,but I'm in the uk so no help at all as usual
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3493 Reply Likes
As usual?  In addition to our excellent service center in Germany, you have at your disposal our entire technical support team.  If you have an issue, I recommend using the resources at your disposal.
Photo of Hunter - K3IE

Hunter - K3IE

• 30 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just started having this same tuning problem with my Maestro.   I searched the problem on The Community and discovered this thread.   Since this thread is over 2 yrs old, I assume a fix has been implemented.  I am up to date with the current SmartSDR v 2.4.9.45 so curious if the fix was hardware related?

- Hunter K3IE