Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro tuning knobs

Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Maestro
Can anyone comment on whether the Maestro tuning knobs have a little heft to them (i.e., weighted)?  I'm not much of a fan of the FlexControl knob.

Alternately, are the Maestro tuning knobs potentially replaceable (standard shaft size and set **** release)?

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Yes, weighted and has a very smooth feel/action.  Better than most knobbed radios I have used.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Tim, while you're answering questions
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Well, seems I can't edit or remove posting. Started this with my ipad using my iphone as hot spot.

Anyone able to remove, if so please do.

Lew

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Tim, since you ere answering questions, can you tell us if cw bandwidth will be variable ( using Miestro ) or step sizes programmable? Is Winkeyer a hardware or software version, I'm not having good luck with version in latest firmware?

73's
    Lew
    N4CO
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Barry,

The knobs are solid aluminum.  You could not make them any heavier unless you went to steel.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes, beautiful knobs with a wonderful amount of flywheel inertia and heft. 

73, Matt NQ6N
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds good!  

(fwiw, brass also works well for making hefty knobs)
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    "(fwiw, brass also works well for making hefty knobs)"

I've used brass for machining knobs for one-off homebrew projects. But brass stock is over 6X the price of aluminum. Makes a difference in volume production.
    Doug K4DSP

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have to say the knobs on my Maestro are the best "feeling" knobs on any radio product I have operated.  They have the right heft, balance and layout for intuitive operation.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The low and high cut filter settings for all RX and TX filters are variable.  And you can also step through the preset RX filters as well.

The Winkeyer in Maestro is a hardware Winkeyer.

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I find them very light weight and they have a loose feel.. there seems to be no way to increase the friction to give them a more solid feel... disappointing
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Very happy with Maestro knob placement, look, feel and weight. Excellent work considering the many trade-offs.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm SURE vendors will soon be offering after market knobs for those that desire such. :)

Lew
    N4CO
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The knobs on Maestro have more heft in them, than the knobs on my SDR1000, and FLEX5000A.image
    Not too bad for a first try at knobs.
    Adjusting the step size, may, or may not, affect the perceived, flywheel feel.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Very impressed with the actual production Maestro VFO knobs . Night and day compared to the prototypes I played with at Dayton in 2015.
  • AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    While I love the Maestro, the tuning knob is a big issue for me.  I wish it had some microclick mechanism so it can not turn by itself like my Kenwood TS 480.  I got mine to use mobile on a trip to California.  The littlest vibration makes the knob move and of course the associated frequency.  Is there a way to lock the frequency once selected?  I wound up putting the Flex Maestro in the trunk and listening to the truckers on my CB instead.  Very disappointing.  This was the main reason for getting the Maestro.  At least the truckers use more language I am accustomed to living in Chicago from the guys in the hood.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The "LOCK" feature does not work for you?

Lew
    N4CO
  • AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Just noticed that.   i admit, I was ****.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I like the Tuning knobs.  Slice A knob feels looser than slice B.  Not a big deal.   AF gain know feels real loose.   Almost like it is going to fall off.  Don't remember it feeling that loose at Hamcation this year. 

Mike, W8MLS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.