I have had the Maestro for a week and I have had the chance to use it and I have several suggestions. They are mainly usability suggestions from my point of view. Some of the design decision do not make a lot of sense to me and I would love to hear WHY those were selected. I might learn from contesters and more experienced HAMS as to why it is better to operate that way. So here we go. In no particular order... just based on my notes.
- Select a Version screen. I would like to have something that indicates which one is the current one. If I select the not current one it will go through the process of installing. Something like (current) besides the version number will work.
- I would like to have a button to Disconnect from the radio. Right now I do that going into Menu>Network>Choose a Wifi Network which disconnects the Maestro from the radio.
- I would like to be able to create a TNF that I can control with BW Select knob.
- The PopUp that tells me the MIC Level or AF when I turn a knob could be moved down a bit so it doesn't block the MENU button on the screen. Either that or make its Height smaller.
- There should be a PopUp for every slider. It is impossible to know the mount of VOX, Black Level, Delay, Carrier, Tune, etc... that I have selected. In the case of Left and Right... you don't even know when you are centered. You are already doing this if you an in the TX Menu and move the MIC level with the knob. The Level Slider moves and a popup shows the actual value.
- the <EXIT on the top left inside the MENU is a bit small, I keep hitting the protruding bezel of the screen with my fingernail and have to tap a couple of times. Maybe make it bigger, there is room.
- Function Buttons. The F1-F6 are not correctly organized in the screen. The columns should be:
As the Longer push of F1 is F4, and the same for the others.
- There are very limited options for the F buttons. I should have access to more, ideally ALL the functions of the radio. Particularly I would like "Toggle MODE" as opposed to "Set Mode" and one particular mode. It would make sense to me that I can Toggle through the different modes. Toggle VOX is another one that comes to mind.
- It is very smart that I can "A" Step and it will cycle through the step setting and if I press and hold it will toggle in the opposite direction. This is great. Maybe something like this could be use for MODES.
- There is no visual clue as to FDX being ON or OFF in the main screen.
- I would like to have a read out of the Voltage both for the RADIO and for the MAESTRO. There is enough real state for it.
- I would like to be able to select the transparency level of the on screen menus.
- If I have FRONT SPEAKER enabled I would like to get sound on the speaker even if I am wearing headphone. That is the point of having an ENABLED switch. This works correctly if you have powered speakers connected, you can have both sound send there and headphone simultaneously.
- Not sure why LOCK A or B gets a dedicated button. This must be one of this contest buttons that make more sense to experience contesters. I find myself selecting a set passband WIDTH than locking the slices.
- Not sure why LOCKING A and B together with the long press on the "A>B" button makes sense. That is another design decision I don't understand.