Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro software and upgrades, how-to

Steve-N5AC
Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
edited January 2019 in Maestro
We've received a few questions about how to upgrade software on Maestro and how radio software is upgraded when you are using Maestro.  Maestro will check FlexRadio's servers on startup for new software.  If new software is available, Maestro will show the new version along with two icons indicating that the software needs to be downloaded and the radio needs to be upgraded.  If the radio needs new software, Maestro will automatically upgrade the radio as well.

Maestro, itself, can hold up to five versions of SmartSDR for Maestro and SmartSDR for the FLEX-6000.  Without the Internet, you can switch between any of these five versions and Maestro will automatically upgrade the radio and itself with the new software.  

So the short answer is that Maestro will walk you through upgrades and take care of it for you.  You do not need to manually download any software for Maestro.

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Steve,

Does this mean that I can access with 1 Maestro different Flex radios with different HW Version Software as long as they are 1.7.30 and above?

So if I were to use my buddies Flex with my Maestro he/she doesn't need to change their software.

Furthermore, if I decide to move to 2.0 but they don't I will still be able to use my Maestro with their radio...., right?

Thanks

• Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    The Maestro requires v1.7.30 or higher.  What you would typically do would be to upgrade their radio to use the Maestro.  When they reconnect with SmartSDR, they can downgrade the radio (or they can update SmartSDR to v1.7.30).  When v2.0 arrives, you will be able to have v2.0 as well as up to four prior versions of SmartSDR for Maestro on your Maestro.  When you connect to the radio, the Maestro will show you which versions require a change in the radio software.  To run the version that is in the radio, select the one that doesn't require a radio update.  The update to Maestro to switch versions takes about 1-2 minutes whereas a radio update takes about 5 minutes.

Incidentally, licensing is done in the radio.  So if you purchase v2.0 and your friend does not and you take a Maestro to their shack to give it a whirl, v2.0 cannot run on their radio (since they have not purchased it).  So you would have to run an earlier version on your Maestro, which again just requires a quick 1-2 minute change on the Maestro and can occur without a connection to the Internet.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Steve. Exciting times ahead!!
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    When Maestro on Europe?
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016

When V2.0 is released, will it provide the ability to connect more than 1 client to the FS 6000?

• Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Can't say for sure when we will have that feature.
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    We will be shipping distributors units in order that they were received in our queue. We do have some distributors who are coming up for shipment so units will be headed that way soon!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.