Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Randomly Restarting

Moose
Moose Member ✭✭
My Maestro running SmartSDR v1.9.13 has been randomly restarting. It doesn't completely restart, but the screen goes blank except for the slice A & B headers at the top, which are without any information. I hear my 6500 click as the relays change or dropout, whatever they do. After a few moments the Maestro comes back online all by itself. Typically when it does the frequencies aren't where I had them before the incident occurred and the display type changes, but other than that it is like it never happened.

Anybody else having this issue?

73 Chris AK4SK

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Chris,

I do not see this behavior on the Maestro. I would suggest using a known good 12 V-DC supply and direct Ethernet direct. If the misbehavior is still present it's time to open a ticket.

GL...

k3Tim

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Tim. I'm using my shack 12v supply for the Maestro and Ethernet is via a switch.

73 Chris AK4SK
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hmmm.  Sounds like it's time to open a ticket...

Best Regards,
    Tim
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Mine did this twice yesterday while playing around in the contest.  I haven't used my Maestro much lately but I used it a few hours yesterday.  It's the first time I have used it with the newest software version.  Had the same behavior, blank screen except for slice headers. After a few seconds, it would come back to life and the network statistics would be reset.  I also noticed a lot more dropped packets than I used to get.  My Maestro has run very well on my Netgear router (not so on my Asus).  The last time I had used the Maestro I left it running for hours and only had 8-9 dropped packets.  Yesterday it would run fine for 5 minutes or so and then I would start getting auto drops and packet drops.  After a minute of two of this, it would run fine for 5-10 minutes.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2017

The Ethernet connection should be able to drop out completely off and on and not cause a reboot or crash. Mine has crashed a few times using 1.9.13 doing the exact same thing as yours Moose. It doesn't go back to the previous location because I believe like regular Windows, it wasn't able to save this information prior to crashing. Yesterday it ran all day flawlessly, go figure.

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Burch. I'm not sure about dropped packets, how do I check that? I can't say for sure the restarting issue didn't happen with older versions of SmartSDR but it has happen more frequently recently. I was on the air for about three and a half hours last night, listening about 99% of the time, and it happened at least 3 times if not 4 or 5.

Another issue I've had, that I only bring up here in case there is a commom cause, is that the DAX connection will drop out with no warning or error message. I only notice because the digital mode program I'm using stops receiving and the received signal level bottoms out but it usually takes me several minutes to notice this has happened. Restarting DAX fixes the issue. 

73 Chris AK4SK

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only person with the issue. I usually have two slices open. Sometimes it goes right back where it was, sometimes it goes back to the previous frequency I was at on one slice and stays the same on the other. Thankfully it hasn't happened yet when I was in the middle of something.

73 Chris
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

This is the first time I have seen the restarting issue.  I was using a battery when it happened on mine.  If you go to the menu and then network at the bottom of the screen you will see the network statistics.  I usually don't have many dropped packets but I had a lot yesterday and several times the green bars went to red and I had a lot of audio drops.  I rarely had this happen in the past but this happened every few minutes yesterday, along with the Maestro restarting twice.  I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the newest software but this is the first time I have used the Maestro since updating the software and I never had these issues before.

Burch

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I've had the same exact problem with my Maestro and my 6300 for as long as I've owned the Maestro. I called Dudley at Flex a few weeks ago with a description much like yours. Dudly knew right away what I was talking about. He asked about my network arrangement between the two units.

The only device intermediate of the two was a gigabit switch. Dudley advised that I replace it with a 100Mb switch. His explanation was that the 6300, when connected to the gigabit unit, auto detects the faster device and can produce so much data that, on occasion, it can overwhelm the switch creating a log jam and therefore latency and disconnect from the Maestro.

This advice seems counter intuitive to me but I followed his suggestion last week and put in a D-Link DES-1105 100Mb IP switch. Only the Maestro, 6300 and one network cable connect to this switch. The rest of my gigabit network remains as it was. So far it's six days later and I've had 100% up time with 24/7 power on.

Dudley also had some suggestions for gigabit switch models that would do better with the 6300 than mine did but I've lost track of the models as I had this slower unit on the shelf.

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks, my switch is a NETGEAR FS105 ProSafe 5-Port 10/100, only 100 Mb. I'll have to see if they think that model is ok.

Chris
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Chris - The behavior you described is the radio firmware crashing and then doing an auto restart. Once the firmware restarts, it automatically reconnects to client (Maestro).
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Tim. So the issue is radio related and not Maestro related? That may explain why SmartSDR on my PC loses connection every once and a while also then?

What can be done to keep this from happening?

73 Chris AK4SK
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Not certain what course of action can be taken to prevent this from happening unless we can discover the root cause.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,

My 6300 & Maestro never reconnected on their own. Sometimes a crash would go over night and then I'd finally start things up again in the morning. These crashes were particularly frustrating when they occurred durring a QSO, which happened often until I got a handle on how to restart for the maximum trouble free result.

If I only restarted the Maestro, things would be fine for a few hours to maybe a full day. It didn't take long for me to learn that restarting both the 6300 and the Maestro would often result in several days of trouble free operation. The difference restarting both was obvious in the resulting time before the next crash occurred.

I've never had this happen when using my PC or Windows tablet and SSDR. Only when the Maestro is in use.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Tim. If there is anything I can do to help you figure it out please let me know. It happened again tonight within minutes of me turning on the radio.

73 Chris
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

After reading about the switches, I realized that I did recently add a new switch to my wireless access point.  I unplugged the 6700 from the switch and plugged it into one of the empty ports on my Netgear access point and ran the Maestro for about an hour.  I only had a handful of packet drops so I think my problem could have been the switch.  I will run the Maestro some more this weekend to see if that fixes the reboot problem.

Burch

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Not sure if this is related.  I have experienced the same condition when my Maestro internal battery gets low.  As soon as I change the battery, the problem disappears. 
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bob,  The Maestro here has been on an Astron 12 Volt supply continuously for several months.

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tim,
    Is there a way to completely reset or reload the firmware for the radio similar to reformatting a computer hard drive and loading everything fresh? Would that help?

73 Chris AK4SK
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    My best advice is to open a HelpDesk ticket if you continue having these issues so we can do some one-on-one troubleshooting.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Sort of.  You can do a reset to factory defaults.  The procedure is documented for the different FLEX-6000 radios in the FLEX-6000 Hardware Reference Guide.

It is not a complete "wipe to the bare metal and start over" type reset, but it clears the databases and restores most of the default settings.  
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,  Thanks!  You might not have connected my posts above to this one.  After talking to Dudley and changing the switch between the 6300 and the Maestro to a 100Mb unit, everything has been stable for a full week.  If they are still crashing and then quickly reconnecting, as you suggested, I've missed it. Either that or the switch is no longer aggravating things.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2016

Chris,

Apparently if the radio disconnects it will reboot. Mine just now said on an Ethernet connection it could not find the radio (****??) even though it's been running fine all day, then the timer counted down and the Maestro rebooted to the "Select a Version" screen.

People can blame the network all they want, on Ethernet with no latency issues there is no excuse for the Maestro to lose connection to the radio unless either the radio or the Maestro started having internal networking issues or a firmware issue?

I powered the 6300 down and also powered down the Maestro and let them sit for 5 minutes.

They powered back up fine, so I'll let them run the rest of the day and we'll see.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do you think that would be worth a try?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Are you running the Maestro off a battery?  The Ethernet interface is one of the devices that has a modest power budget.  If you are running off a battery and the voltage dips below 5 VDC, that can cause the Ethernet interface to rest and lose connection to the network.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2016
    Mine was plugged in at the time, the timer was the device looking for the radio, when the timer got to zero it rebooted. Power seemed fine? After rebooting the 6300 and the Maestro they both seem happy again.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use a gigabit switch and have had no problems.  It seems strange that the Maestro would have problem with some gigabit switches and not others.  The statement that it would produce so much traffic that it would overwhelm the switch doesn't sound quite right to me.  Regardless of the Ethernet connection 100mb/1Gb, the device should produce and attempt to pass the same exact traffic. 

The other issue that seems strange is that some switches work and others don't.  If the Maestro is adhering to standard Ethernet protocol, it should work with ANY switch that also adheres to those standards.  I've run hundreds of devices off of 100/1000 switches and have never come across a device that would not work properly due to the switch being used.

There must be something that I just don't understand here.....

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I agree.  It doesn't make sense that the Maestro is so sensitive to the type of switch.  I can say thought that once I took my brand new Netgear 1GB switch out of line with the 6700, my Maestro is now working much better.  Very few dropped packets now.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Was there a battery also plugged in when the Maestro was running off DC power?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.