Maestro Poor Wifi Performance

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
First, let me say that I've read, and understand, Steve's post about WiFi. I'm running a well regarded Asus RT-AC68U router with current firmware and my Maestro is approximately 8' away from it through a single sheet of drywall.

My Maestro has very poor WiFi performance. It's dropping packets and subject to semi-frequent dropouts of audio.

The Maestro network screen reports "Poor" quality connection, spikes of high latency, and several lost packets.

I can set my Surface Pro3 on the desk literally touching the Maestro, and it performs with what SmartSDR calls "Excellent" connection, a high of 16ms latency, few spikes, 0 dropped packets and no audio cutouts. Even when I open 4 panadapters and 4 receive slices in SmartSDR it's performance never deteriorates.

Of interesting note is a severe discrepancy in the diagnostic screens between the 2 devices. The SP3 reports a "Remote RX Rate" of 77 kbps where the Maestro reports a "Total RX Rate" of 1160 kbps. Are these the same metric? 77 kbps seems awfully low for 4 panadapters and Rx streams.

Are there any further diagnostics built into the Maestro that would assist in troubleshooting? Any ideas?
Photo of AE0MW

AE0MW

• 104 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Peter Kirsop

Peter Kirsop

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am interested in buying a Maestro, but I am concerned about these issues with WiFi performance. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop which runs SSDR with no issue if on ethernet, but on WiFi the network indicator suddenly goes from excellent all green to poor, with stuttering waterfall, then back to excellent again.  This cycle repeats every few minutes with the laptop remaining in the same place, and with the laptop in close proximity to the router.  The router is a TP Link Archer and with no near neighbours to cause WiFi congestion.  Strange thing is, the laptop streams video with no issues at all on WiFi, it just seems to give trouble on SSDR.  Anyone else using a TP Link Archer router?
Photo of Mike va3mw

Mike va3mw

• 824 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Which Archer?  I love mine... now (see previous posts).  But, I had to update the firmware, then it played perfectly.

Mike va3mw
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Streaming video is not an equal comparison to the network requirements of SSDR. Are you using a 2.4 or 5 GHz network?