Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro over Internet

K9SO
K9SO Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in New Ideas
Maestro operation over the Internet. I've finally done it with a little help (!) from my friends

Comments

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Nice to know. How did you do it?
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It took a lot of packet sniffing to figure it out, but my Maestro is working well now on my link between Chicago and North Carolina. The 6500 sends out broadcast packets that the PC or Maestro looks for prior to connection. These aren't allowed over Internet connections so that was a big problem.

My son (K4JFG) created a pair of devices ($15 Linux devices) that converted the broadcast packets to TCP on one end and converted them back to broadcast at the other end. Since both locations are essentially on the same LAN, the Maestro can now find the 6500 remotely. Try doing that with your VPN!

The overall latency averages about 65 mS and CW keying is perfect. Already had a dozen or so Q's at 30 wpm+. I was worried about latency jitter causing keying errors but I haven't experienced any issues. Verified by monitoring my over the air signals remotely. Network status shows "good" even over a local WiFi connection. 

It CAN be done. 
  • Ron
    Ron Member
    edited July 2016
    Yes let us know how you did it.
  • M1tanker64
    M1tanker64 Member
    edited November 2016
    Can he send a link to those devices and how to program them?

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ditto. Also, can you explain what you mean by "both locations are essentially on the same LAN?" I understand how that would apply to a VPN situation, but it sounds like you are not using a VPN? Does your setup require access to router settings on the non-6500/distant end of things? If so, it probably would not work from hotels or other public wifi situations.
    Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    "Try doing that with your VPN!" It was easy actually. Log into R7000, turn on VPN, install OpenVPN, configure for Windows, log onto neighbors WiFI, radio found instantly, aside from waterfall issue works great.
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is R7000?
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Sorry about that, it's the Netgear Firehawk R7000 wireless router (not a real router but it's the term used these days).
    Amazon Link for description and reviews.
    https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighth...
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No, this wouldn't work from a hotel room. The details are a bit much to post on a forum so I'll post on my website and post a link here later if there's interest.

The technique does require both sites to be on the same LAN. We were able to put together an old commercial Cisco system to do that for a couple hundred bucks buying the pieces on EBAY.  The main trick is getting the broadcast packets out over the Internet as they are normally blocked. But no PC is required on either end.

Bottom line: this Maestro is a TON of fun. 

Fred,
    K9SO
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    My apologies, you're right, my config lacks the Maestro and wouldn't work if I had one.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.