Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

maestro needs a power LED

Stan VA7NF
Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
There is a significant delay between pressing the power button, mainly to turn it on but also on power off, such that the user does not know if the press was recognized.
There should a power LED that immediately flashes during startup and shutdown then solid on once power is fully established, and off when powered down.

Comments

• Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I agree. There is no indication when the button is pressed that the unit is doing something. Seems a simple item that was missed in design.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Stan

Great Idea!

I figure you already know this, but just in case you or anyone else haven't figured this out yet, …

To power on the Maestro consistently. 

Press and hold the power button for 5 secs, a count of 5. or until you see the black display screen brighten which is an indication that it has powered up the display screen, and is then proceeding to boot up, you may not be able to see much difference between the unpowered black and the powered black. 

So yes a separate LED indication would be a better indication that it's now ok to release the power button. I could get by, if it would just beep after a 5 sec press when the display powers up.

To turn it off.
    All it takes is a single quick, but firm push on the power button.

On mine, which was likely part of the first production run, so maybe yours is different. The power button has a sort of rocking action IOW I seem to always aim the press the right side edge of the button. The button does have a tactile click, and I can feel the click stronger on the right edge.

If you can't detect any rocking, or click, then ignore the previous paragraph.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Good idea for next generation Maestro.
    In the mean time, perhaps they can do something in the firmware to have a spot on the display blink when pressing the power button.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Agree Jay - You have V1 with the power button on top and a slight tactile feedback.  I have one of these, but my club has a V2 with the side power button and no tactile feedback.

Since this V2 Maestro is used by many people there is a need for a positive feedback rather than the learned process of watching the screen or back-lit buttons.

Bill, any indicator on the startup screen would be good; that is, if any software is booted up enough to drive the screen.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    That is why I mentioned the firmware level, only the the Flex engineers would know this.
    Otherwise it would wait till the next generation.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Current Maestro (both ver 1 and 2) can be updated by FW with backlit flashing on/off on any or all buttons on the front Panel that have a backlit during power up or power down. Of course if electronics getting signal from the built in tablet it will not work. Sergey, Kn7k
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Perhaps Flex will comment on that as they are the only ones that would no for sure.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Perhaps I should manufacture a small interposer cable for both the 12 volt power adapter,
    and the battery compartment USB, that senses current flow with a comparator and lights up
    a little red power LED module on a short wire with sticky tape, so you could put it anywhere
    around the Maestro case :-)
    That would permit having a real power LED to know it is "ON" and drawing power, but
    without opening the case and voiding your warranty.

I could call it the Edison/Tesla Maestro Energy Annunciator Option.

Kickstarter Campaign anyone?

Cheers,

Neal
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    How about a circuit to charge the battery when it is plugged in to 12 volts
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Steve... How about letting this thread run on its own merit!   Post your concern/idea so it can have its own platform.   Both ideas have merit.
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I too would like an indicator and have resorted to Jay's approach (count to 5). In daylight or high ambient light environments, the backlight is not visible. Meastro V2 in my case, 73, Ron WB2WGH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.