Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Main Tuning Knob Imbalance

Philip KA4KOE
Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Maestro
My Maestro tuning knob seems to be slightly imbalanced. When the finger hole is in approximately the 3 o'clock position, the knob will move two steps counterclockwise. This seems to indicate a slightly heavier point opposite the finger hole. Oddly, the knob does not move by itself when the finger hole is at approximately the 9 o'clock position.

Comments

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I have the same issue, although I haven't taken the time to determine what knob position the issue occurs. 73 Chris AK4SK
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Correction...sometimes it moves 3 clicks.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have noticed the same problem.
    A knob with two finger holes on opposite sides  would solve the problem providing balance in every position, but it requires a manufacturing change.
    In some older radios it was a piece of felt between front panel and turning knob increasing friction but in the same time it reduced free spinning of the knob.
    If the knob is hollow on inside, one could possibly  glue a piece of solder wire inside the knob near the dimple and restore the balance this way.
    I recall this  method used in old Collins turning knobs  for increasing the spinning  effect.

Tom,
    SP7WT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If you have this issue with your Maestro, please open a HelpDesk support ticket.

Philip - I have converted this post to a HelpDesk ticket so you do not need to create one.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    We're good. Thanks.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Today I have  implemented my own idea. Now the turning knob remains stable in any position.

Tom, SP7WT
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ?        :-)
  • Brian W9HLQ
    Brian W9HLQ Member
    edited December 2016
    I placed a small felt cloth patch under the edge of the tuning knob to provide some slight drag.   Now I do not shift frequency when I let go of the knob.  You do not notice the black felt on the Maestro. 
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I have a similar issue.  My Maestro main knob has a slight "tight" spot, it doesn't really turn smoothly.  It isn't extreme, but noticeable.  After the wait for the Maestro I was so happy with it overall, that I didn't report the issue to Flex.. They are small company and it is not like we blessed with an abundance of Ham Radio manufacturing.  I kind of hate to bug them with what amounts to a "tactile cosmetic issue".

Keith - AC9S

• Brian W9HLQ
    Brian W9HLQ Member
    edited December 2016
    I agree... in true ham sprit I fixed the problem myself with a small patch of black felt slipped under the edge of the knob.  The drag is just right and adjustable.  I will bother Flex when I have a real problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.