Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro low battery warning

Lewis Cheek
Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Maestro
Just received Low Battery Warning on Maestro, I'm connected to ac supply which is connected to 1500 VA UPS. 

And NO I didn't check voltage, as it cleared.

Comments

• Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Same here - it's happened here a couple of times several days apart. I just ignored the warning as everything seemed to be working fine otherwise.

Mike - KB1MH
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Bugs I guess, didn't have it before update, also have had a couple of times I loose spectrum display on Maestro. Comes back in a few seconds. Also a few minutes ago I had background noise, tuned to a station and no audio from cw station. Turned RX on and off and all was okay again. Sure hope this is worked out before any major contest, or I'll have to roll back, and not a Walmart ROLL BACK.

Lew
    N4CO
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Didn't get a low battery warning on mine. It just died on me.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This behavior has been entered into our bug tracker as issue #3761 for investigation.  THanks for the report.

• Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
    edited July 2016
    I have seen the low battery warning a couple weeks ago with a fairly fresh battery, say with 1 hour or less on it.  I think this was the first use of the battery and had probably used the Maestro less than 4 hours total.  The battery icon on the screen showed full charge.  Then I powered it down in the normal way thinking a restart would clear it up.  Then it failed to start.  It took me 2 days to get the Maestro to start again.   Finally after pressing the power button for about 3 minutes it finally started.  I have not seen the battery warning since.

Last night Maestro started acting up again.  Then it started cycling with the button back lights going out, then the screen back light went bright, then the audio made some strange digital noises.  This cycled over and over again.  I put in a fresh battery (paid full price for it BTW ;) ) and the Maestro would not start.  I had to plug in the power supply to get it working.  I would say that I may have only put 2 hours on that battery but I'm not positive.  It was not near 4 hours of use on that battery.

Edit- I am using SSDR v1.7.30.78
  • PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited March 2017
    hi all
    i did some measuring on my newly received powerbank

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Power-Bank-20000-mAh-External-Battery-Portable-Charge...

i measured with

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-current-voltage-tester-USB-voltage-Ammeter/32456038475.html

several devices alike available

charging time with  a mean of 0.50 A is as expected about two days. using an USB power transformer ( original apple 230V to 5 V on USB)

powerbank connected to the maestro and with original power supply of the meastro I can see the battery is being loaded. I have not been able to measure current.

without main power supply connected, the maestro takes 0.4 A continuously. voltage 5.02V
    when put on and in working condition it takes 0.73 A and voltage of the power pack drops to 4.93 V with fully charged powerbank.

it is understood from one of Tim´s earlier threads on the matter that Mogix has a powerbank that switches on once being asked for power.

with  only the powerbank connected and no extra charging  i can expect it being exhausted after 2+ weeks because of the continous current of 0.4 A.

as a matter of fact Tim also suggested that the powerbank should be charged outside of the Maestro.

great fun working with the Maestro. very satisfied with replies on all kinds of matters on this community.  I am a bit shy to upgrade to 1.8.4 for the moment

• Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Are you sure that's 400mA current drain with the Maestro turned off? Seems rather high to me. Would also totally discharge the battery in less than a couple of days, not weeks.
  • PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited December 2016
    sorry, Steve, this indeed was a mistake it takes 0.04 A = 40 mA
    but still, i must conclude also 40mA is a lot to my opinion

this is what it shows on the display as soon as i connect the Maestro to the powerbank

73, PE3DON
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    That makes sense, though I wonder whether it's particular to your Maestro. I only raise the point as I have left a fully charged pack in mine and not used it for maybe a week. When I checked the battery's readout, it was still at 100%. I think I might get one of those little testers.
  • PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited December 2016
    Might not be the end of the story. it seems that the current drops down after some two minutes. Is it maybe balancing with some other internal backup battery in the Maestro?

PE3DON
  • PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited December 2016
    surely the tester, you might have a point.
    but i tried to exclude that matter by first having the tester in the powerbank without the Maestro connected and after this connecting it again.
  • PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited December 2016
    power pack is hardly fitting in, so friends do not buy this one. it should be a bit smaller
    PE3DON
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    As with most electronics today, off is not totally off.  The Maestro is no different. If the internal display battery is charged completely, when turned off, Maestro will draw a very small amount of current.  If left off long enough and no external voltage source is connected, it will eventually drain the internal display battery.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.