Maestro Interview, details, projected date for SmartSDR 2.0

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
I did an interview with Graham of Flex at the Boxboro, Ma, ARRL Convention. He was excellent, plus he gave a projected date for 1.5 and 2.0
http://youtu.be/KrkFZxEKc1Q
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I must have missed it, what did he say about 1.5 and 2.0?
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1060 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
1.5 in September and 2.0 he said something about announcing it at Dayton next year.
james
WD5GWY
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 979 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
2.0 projected after Dayton 2016
(Edited)
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Nice job Burt. 
That Flex guy was very articulate. He even confessed that AGC-T was actually RF gain. That's one control I wish I didn't have to fiddle with. With more typical rigs RFG is set and forget.

I'm wondering when my Maestro will arrive. 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
I thought no one could match Greg, he was great!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Very professional video. Good work Burt!
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1060 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
As always, excellent video Bert! I really enjoyed the interview with the young ham. Sounds like a very smart fellow.
james
WD5GWY

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
The kid came up to me and said, "are you K1OIK, I watch your videos?"
By far the best kid I ever interviewed.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 633 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Yes great interview, we should totally make note that Marty learned about the hobby from the internet not the library, and he studied for his test from an IPad app.
Cool!  Kudos to the app writers of the world!
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 498 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I missed 1.5 reference - when?
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 352 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
September (Planned)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3980 Posts
  • 969 Reply Likes
Nice job Bert, I saw it...lol
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 820 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Thanks Burt, nice presentation.
Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Getting itchy to order Maestro. Nice demo and video. Thanks Burt !
Photo of Jerry W4UK

Jerry W4UK

• 44 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

In the video, I heard something about getting a Bluetooth keyboard to work with it for CW. I think it also needs a Bluetooth mouse - I don't think it will be widely successful if we can't click-tune it with a mouse.

Jerry W4UK

Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Maybe the touch screen subs for the mouse? 
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 449 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
+1 for a mouse!
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Thanks for the video, Burt!
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 623 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Thank you Burt,

GREAT JOB and informative! 
(Edited)
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 605 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Great video, Burt!  Can't wait to get my hands on my Maestro, and I've got to show that video to the XYL who is studying for her Tech.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 633 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Excellent Maestro demo Burt now I'm anxious about it's arrival, thanks.
The KC1CWF interview is golden, his HF interest and antenna knowledge is inspiring, made me smile.
Gives hope for the future, somewhat reminds me of myself and my buds when we were his age
except that DX60 and SX28 took all damn winter to work up the cash.
Rock on Burt that was tastefully done, wish I had your video experience.
73'  Clay N9IO
Photo of Mike W9OJ

Mike W9OJ

• 104 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Science Fiction Theater theme music!

73 de Mike W9OJ
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 621 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Good stuff!
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing that, Burt.  You should be in movies, you handsome devil you.  :)

I especially enjoyed all of the New England license plates.  Being from the wild west, I don't think I've ever seen that many at once.

Steve
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes

Nice video and great editing. Impressive. Now if only kc1cwf knew cw then the universe would be right again. Perhaps he does but the odds are against that. Oh well that ball was dropped a long time ago and it is not the young lad's fault.

Thanks for taking the time to do the video Burt.

(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Nice video, Burt. Great young man, also. He will probably know more about the digital modes than most of us within a year. He might even write API interfaces for the FLEX rigs, too!
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Oh c'mon, he's a 14 yr old that memorized the answer sheets, not a second Woz.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Just because he is young, don't short change him, Walt.  I learned very quickly when I was that age and got my Novice in '74 as a 14 year old freshman.  I fully understood the theory then.  He apparently understands enough of it to make a bunch of antennas himself.  (I built a 3 element CB beam out of 1/2 inch electrical conduit when I was an 8th grader, all by calculating formulas in the ARRL handbook.  Later, as a 15 year old Tech, I rebuilt it into a 4 element 6 Meter Yagi using a coat hanger, jumbo alligator clip, and the outer sheath of an automotive AM radio coax for a gamma match.) 

Sometimes long-term hams can forget how much the younger ones are capable of understanding.  (BTW, I used to read the ARRL Handbook for "pleasure reading" in my free time during 6th & 7th grade.)  My biggest obstacle in getting my Novice ticket was a two year delay trying to find a ham in my town who would give a "snot-nosed 7th grader" the time of day.  (That is what I felt their attitude was towards me.)  Otherwise I would have gotten my Novice as a 12 year-old 7th grader.  Unfortunately this is all too common in some areas.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
BTW...My statement that he might know more about digital modes that most of us in a year was not based upon an assumption of "Woz-like" genius, but of his obvious curiosity.  He doesn't seem to be afraid to study and learn new skills.  In his case, he has learned how to research things on the internet, which is a mixed blessing.  There is a mixture of good and bad information about most topics, including amateur radio, floating around the 'net.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
Walt assume the boy did as you said. Tell me why I see adults say for months they are "working on their ham?" The kid did it in a week. My daughter took a month, code included, but she is 34, but she passed the Tech Plus 26 years ago.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 451 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
> not a second Woz.
How would you know this? Woz was a young ham and went on to grand things.
I agree with Burt .. I congratulate the young man and frankly, I would rather have a QSO with him than most of the olde and wisened hams I hear on the air or those pontificating on this forum.

W7NGA  dan
San Juan Island, Wa.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Burt, there is no assumption on my part. He said it into the mic. If he had said he had studied the ARRL Handbook cover to cover that would be different. Memorizing sample tests from a tablet app is not learning theory and regs and is the functional equivalent of memorizing the answer sheet.

He did it in a week. You were a teacher, or was that just you daughter, what's the retention of knowledge after pulling an all-night vs actually learng the subject matter???

It's the new CB. There was a time,Burt, you and I were on the same side of this debate. Studying the myriads of sample tests is akin to an open book test which is akin to signing ones name on the front sheet, which is akin to just filling out an application. Let's not all get hypercritical about this. At least when there was code, there was a practical portion of the test.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
Tell me where in the audio he said he memorized the answers.
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
I don't hear him say he memorized anything, he just says he just took a bunch of practice tests on the iPad apps.  At 9:40.     Bright kid.   Well done to him.

Good video BTW.  Interesting info.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9196 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
I am going to ask everyone to nicely stop this topic of conversation.  How does the merits of how one got their license have anything to do with Maestro? 
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
JC!

I can't believe all this BS is coming from adults. Shame on me for stepping into this CJ. Excuse me, I'll be leaving now.

@Steve, give him a year or two behind the mic, he'll fit right in.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
From the looks of others present it is apparent that this poor kid is underfed. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
That's funny.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
Tim you criticize another for not talking about Maestro then make the above comment? Does, "that's funny" have anything to do with the Maestro?
Nothing wrong with "that's funny." However what is good for the goose.....?

I missed putting in the suggested price, $995 by the way

You are unmatched in customer service.
I get multitudes of compliments for the video but what brings you out is if someone strays off the topic. Not a word from you about the outstanding performance of Graham. I merely held the camera, Graham "made" the video.
With employees like you and Graham Flex has much to be proud of.
Now as far as underfed, I made this in 2008, after the girl  interview look at the "underfed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKJArlWF-I
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Back to the Maestro...
I really like the multiple knobs with push-button mode/function switching.
The touch keypad for entry of mode, frequency, etc is very interesting.
I haven't had a chance to turn the knobs, but if the action is smooth it should be a real seller.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
In the video I noticed one of the  concentric  knobs he turned was wobbly. I hope that was just a prototype. Reminded me of the P3's dinky knobs. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9196 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
An early prototype that has been shipped all over the country since May.  The production units do not have this issue.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 498 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
V2.0 and all this talk about Maestro certainly has me excited. Version 2 is suppose to give us network connectivity for true remote operation (with Maestro). How about with my laptop? Is remote operation going to be possible with any PC or laptop that has v2.0 installed? I quickly scanned the thread and I did not see this topic mentioned.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
YES
V2 is going to support WAN

However .. using a SIMPLE VPN  like www.Softether,net you can already operate your Flex Radio via PC or Laptop or IPad remotely
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Do you mean www.softether.org  ?
Your web address had a "comma" and "NET" and wouldn't load...
Photo of Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 206 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I finally got softether to run but my client is dropping 2/3s of all the packets.  I have done the port forwarding routing and everything I can think of.  I run a house full of apple computers and really like my time capsule router/backup box but am thinking of going with a router based VPN like other op here have done 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
correct ... www.softether.org

FYI.. I am having excellent results with Softether to all my mobiles (5 different apple products) and my base (9 different PC's)
Photo of Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 206 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I must be doing something wrong.  I spent a good two weeks getting it to connect assign ip addresses ect.  For some reason however I can't make a "steady" connection back home.  I drop a lot of packets.  But I am glad it works for you and I have tried your Parallels Access Idea and got it to work....Thanks 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
My first guess is network speed.
How fast is your upload and download speeds on your home network? 

My second guess is Server Loading

Is your vpn server on a busy computer

FYI  if you like iPad Parallels Access you are going to LOVE K6TU Remote iPad when it finally hits the App Store