Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MAESTRO hotel access

paul
paul Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Cannot connect to 6300 from hotel, Maestro says I am connected to wifi but unable to   to enter hotel security code to connect to 6300 at home. Laptop works and ios works ok. paul, wa3qpx

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Paul, “Captive portal” WiFi like hotels is not supported at this time. This is coming in the future, however. Ria
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    There were several iterations of Roku devices which found their way into backpacks and briefcases for roadtrips, but the "Captive Portal" issue really wasn't cleaned-up neatly until the Streaming Stick. It's doable with code on the device, but getting the process as bullet-proof and transportable as possible will be the rubicon. It'll be good when it's done.

But then again I'm just a rube from SE Oklahoma, so take all the above with a large dose of salts.

Gary
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited October 2017
    great information to be aware of when staying in hotels, much appreciated as I would have left my portable hotspot in the vehicle to utilise the hotel Wi-Fi. just an area I had not considered, thats why I love this flex forum, always learning something new. Cheers brenton vk3cm Tangambalanga Victoria Australia
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Since the tablet module is basically windows it shouldn’t be too hard.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    What about "spoofing" the IP address of your Maestro on your laptop.  Then sign in and delete the spoof.  Then the hotel WiFi should use the Maestro as it was the one that signed in.......mabe worth a try.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    You can probably spoof the MAC address and that may work. Not supported either but it may end up working.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I found the easiest solution to use a portable mifi/router. You access the hotel internet from this device and then provide wifi to all of your devices (cell phone, tablet, laptop, maestro, etc...) You can run one of these from a usb battery (some come with its own battery) better ones allow you to use 4g/3g cellular network as well. It fits in the palm of your hand and it is very convenient. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EBU... Double the $ for a reputable brand.
  • paul
    paul Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tnx Ria , I understand Flex Allpha team is aware of the problem but also  understand  Flex also working on other things. This is the only reason I bought the Maestro and I am not very happy. paul, wa3qpx
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I meant to say "mac"  I confuzzled...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Which one specifically do you use? I've been looking for a good one. (rather than rolling my own)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

FYI - I use a Huawei Huawei E5786s-32 300 Mbps 4G LTE & 43.2 Mpbs 3G Mobile WiFi 

The newest model is https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UHAZVFM?psc=1&smid=A36T3T5BV7ETC0

Just bought a $10 USA Pay-as-you-Go SIM to try it in the USA... Will report USA Results later... usually I just tether to my iPhone or iPad in the USA. 

BTW.. when traveling in the EU, the best Data deal is currently the Orange Holiday SIM

- works everywhere in the EU.   10GB for $52

https://smile.amazon.com/Orange-Holiday-Europe-prepaid-120mn/dp/B06XBYMX58/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&... 

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Will that work to share hotel wifi? 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I wouldn't really expect this to be low down on the priority list. They do have the amp and new radios on their plate right now though. I suspect after all that is done we will see some movement to get SmartLink working on captive portal. No promises but it seems likely. 
  • Kevin WM4J
    Kevin WM4J Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I don’t own a Maestro but I have had the same issue with my AppleTV when I travel in hotel rooms. Call the front desk and ask them for the tech support number for the hotel WiFi and give support a call. Tell them you have a device that can’t authenticate through a web browser and you would like to provide them your MAC address to manually authenticate. Support will authenticate your MAC for your entire stay. This has worked for me in a pinch when I don’t have a small WiFi router with me.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I use the Huawei E5776. This year the EU disallowed telecoms from charging forroaming, so my data contract in Spain, works throughout Europe and it is the easiest way to use the Maestro. The device I have used for many years for the "captive portal" issue is the https://www.asus.com/Networking/WL330N3G/ There are tons of videos on YouTube. But you are basically looking for WiFi Sharing configuration.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I believe Howard's is a newer, faster model. These devices get upgraded all the time with newer models.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I also have a E5776 andan even older E5773. They tend to get handed down the line to my kids, their spouses, girlfriends and grandkids when they travel. I always keep the latest and fastest as my personal toys. Use about 500MB-1GB/hr depending on display speed. I figure the hotel Wi-Fi login screen issue is temporary setback which will be fixed soon . Anyways 4G is now usually so much faster than hotel Wi-Fi.
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What I have done (albeit with RemoteRig box) from hotels with captive portal, is to connect with my laptop on wifi, then bridge the internet connection in windows to the ethernet jack of the laptop, and plug the device (RemoteRig box.....but substitute Maestro) into the ethernet jack of the laptop with a cross-over cable. Worked perfectly.
  • KS9A
    KS9A Member
    edited August 2018
    Paul,  I just worked NAQP from a hotel using their WiFi with a Maestro.  I did a write-up on it which can be found here:  http://ks9a.fcarc.com/RemoteNAQP.pdf
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I haven't tried it with Maestro but I have WiFi connected an MMDVM/Pistar hotspot to my Surface Pro that was connected to the Captive Portal. Streamed YSF to DMR just fine.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • Robert Kearbey
    Robert Kearbey Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The write up would not load

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.