Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro having low WiFi reception quality

Lasse SM5GLC
Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am a fairly new user of the 6500 and Maestro combo. Recently I noticed
that the spectrum did not update as smooth as I was used to, and then saw that the network health indicator was down to one red bar on the Maestro display, and I always uses WiFi. This shows up at transmit, net quality slowly goes back to green when on receive,  and I suspected RFI of some sort. This was ruled out as I can now reliable create the loss of WiFi quality on receive.

Having all green bars on qualtiy indicator, I then set the Maestro for two panadaptor view. With-in seconds the indicator goes down to one red bar! And the spectrums clearly shows slow update. My router does not see any loss of signal strenght during this process. Stats right now says 44 dopped packets out of 24800

Tested the above with wired LAN and all seems perfect, no matter how I tries  to provoke the issue. Software used 1.9.13.23

Right now it seems the more the processor in my Maestro has to work, the worse net quality if I am on WiFi

/Lasse SM5GLC

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

How does it work while using a computer wirelessly on the LAN? Looks to me your router is bottlenecking your data or, perhaps, you need a better one or assigning more bandwidth to your Maestro. Some routers allow one to prioritize the wireless units on the subnet.

Jim, K6QE 

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    We all are experiencing the WIFI issue. I am sitting next to the router and I'll have network drop outs. This is a problem that has been beat to death. It would be good to hear an acknowledgement from FRS and that either a solution is or is not forth coming.
  • Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No problems with my PC's. The WiFi is  b/g/n and should be capable of 100's of megabits.

I do have another SDR on the same WiFi LAN and I have tried to run both. I see no problem with the the other receiver streaming roughly 700kb/s.

Just made a simple test, looking at the diagnostics on the Maestro while transmitting, and indeed something is happening. I see the max latency jump up to a very high value. Still I see latency jump up even in receive but not that bad.

I am currently not ruling out the router, I cannot exchange this until next week as my other router is used by others right now.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have an Asus AC3200 which is a Tri-band, 802.11ac and capable of 3200 Mbps. I've made sure that the channels used are not shared by any of my neighbors (2.4 and 5 GHz). This is a problem for FRS to fix. https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC3200/
  • Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Seems like my "issue" getting worse by the minute. Shutting down ALL other WiFi clients in my house, I was greeted by this message on the Maestro, as it tried to reboot all by it self! image

I forced a restart on both radio and Maestro, still the net quality is jumping all over. I can see two weak WiFi nets in houses near by... but my Maestro is like 1-2 feet from my MikroTik router. If I am correct the "brain" in Maestro is a Dell tablet and using the Dell WiFi to connect.
    As for multi-path, I have moved the Maestro around, more than a wavelenght and no change in performance.

Doing some "Googling" for Dell Venue 8 WiFi problems do shows a fair bit of issues....
    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • Dave Spencer
    Dave Spencer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Mine also takes an age to pick up the wifi network it's already set up for. Even when just listening, the audio stutters whilst the latency increases to the point of the voice breaking up completely and the signal indicator going red. It eventually recovers but does happen regularly. Running v1.9.13.23.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  Please respond using the HelpDesk ticket for issue resolution.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have a newer Asus router as well and it just won't work with the Maestro.  I have a wifi analyzer program on my tablet and there are no other 5GHZ wifi signals in my neighborhood in range.  I have changed channels, packet bandwidth, updated firmware and done everything people here have suggested.  Still won't work with the Maestro.  I have 3 different laptops (2 running SmartSDR and one running Dogpark on a Mac).  All run great on the Asus router.  No audio dropouts even when I open multiple panadatpers and slice receivers.  The Maestro also doesn't work with my Verizon supplied router.  However, it does work pretty good with my old Netgear router so I have the Netgear setup as a hotspot.  It is strange that my old $90 Netgear works great but the $250 Asus gaming router won't work.  I have been thinking about purchasing a new router but I'm afraid to spend a bunch of $$ and then have another router not work with the Maestro.  I guess I will keep my current setup since it seems to be working OK.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I will enter a ticket for my situation as well.  Thanks Tim!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.