Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro hangs after multiple WIFI drops

Osiel Rodriguez
Osiel Rodriguez Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Maestro
Just received new Maestro and found that if my Wifi gets dropped multiple times, the connection appears to get dropped, but the radio shows "In Use" and the message "The radio selected is in use. Please try connecting again" does not go away.

It takes multiple power cycles of the Maestro to finally get the message to go away.  The the absence of the power cycled, the error will know get acknowledged and go away

imageimage

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    TCP timeouts are quite long, so the other end of a connection will show a port (socket, actually) is in use quite a while after a connection has dropped, unless the connection is directly to the device involved. In your case, a WiFi connection drop will not be directly evident to the radio, even though the Maestro is disconnected. You have a choice of doing a radio "disconnect" by attaching a different device, rebooting the radio, or waiting. This assumes you are on a local network).
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Osiel

What you are seeing is not abnormal.  It happens when you are dropping a lot of data and you will get this message where the radio does not fully connect and the Maestro is not connected at all.

It happens on my remote connection and I can directly related it to poor packet throughput.

Mike va3mw
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    I get and understand what is happening, my concern is the dialog box that never goes away even when you tap "ok" over and over.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    At times, the Maestro reconnects, and i get the waterfall as shown, but tapping "ok" only makes it disconnect, when possible, but then you get the screen stating the radio is in use.  The dialog box doesn't go away.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Might relate to a busy net? Or just a busy net in your home. Did you have all green bars? When it happens to me I reboot the Maestro or switch to SmartSDR (basically I agree with Tim, O C )
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    sure.. it could be a slow network, when using Wifi, however, i have the iPad version sitting next to it, and it isn't allowed to take the connection.  I come back to my desktop and use SmartSDR, and it too won't take the connection.  BTW, i'm not connected to smartlink, i'm using local LAN only.  Nothing short of a power cycle will make that dialog box go away.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    i do see the full green bars, then it goes to yellow, then to red... however the Maestro is in a clear line of site, 15 feet away from the router.  I'm using a Cradlepoint MBR 1400v2 for a router.  The iPad next to it when connected to the same router using Wifi drops much, much less then the Maestro.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    I have since flipped the router on its side so as to have the antennas point straight up as before they were in an L configuration.  I now have .05% drops.

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Oriel, are you using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi? I find 5Ghz to rock solid at my location as there is generally less traffic on this band, whereas 2.4Ghz is unreliable. Might be worth a try. Good luck Winston VK7Wh
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have more or less given up on WiFi and Maestro. It seems most of my routers with WiFi do not like the Maestro. I have one or two that works with-out any packet loss, but for other reason I choose not to use this one. Routers are close to Maestro, and are placed pretty much at the same spot, and still see vast difference in performance. Switching between Rx and Tx often shows the problem even if Rx been running nice for long time. My suggestion is try a different brand of router :)
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    Winston.. i was just looking at my routers dashboard and noticed that i'm on 2.4Ghz and that my Wifi Channel Contention is at like 88%.  I'm switching it to 5Ghz now.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    Lasse,

Thank you for your comments... trying different brands can get expensive, but when you love the hobby such as i do, you do what you gotta do to make it work.  So, onward to my quest in finding another router.  I've heard good comments regarding the IQRouter.  I'll look there first.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    Well after switching to 5Ghz, my channel contention as dropped to 0% and no more drops.  Thanks to everyone who made valuable suggestions!

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well done. Thanks for letting us know Winston
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Not sure about the new Maestro's but the original ones are picky about the router.  I had to try 3 different routers before I found one that would work well with the Maestro.  What I find interesting is the most expensive one I purchased didn't work with the Maestro at all.  It would connect but I would have so many audio dropouts it was unusable.  The router was an expensive Asus model that was made for gaming.  It was very fast with all my other wifi devices but for some reason the Maestro just didn't play nice with it.  I hooked up an old Netgear router that I had as an access point and the Maestro works well with it.  Very few packet drops.
    K4QXX
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    Osiel, this particular behavior, randomly getting the error message you published looks to be a defect of some sort and is in our bug tracker as issue #6143 and is slated to be addressed in SmartSDR v2.4
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    Thank you Tim.  I was a bit concerned that the dialog box would not go away unless i rebooted.  Brought back Windows nightmares1
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited June 2018
    So, latest update... the Maestro ran almost all night with less than 10 drops and 0% channel contention at the router after setting the router to 5Ghz, however, now my Ring Spotlight Cameras don't work... i guess the choice is simple, get ride of the Ring Spotlight Cameras... hihi

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.