Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro freezes on transmit

AD6DM Dennis
AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Totally new to FlexRadio Systems. I just got a 6400 and Maestro. Every time I use the key on the Maestro, the 6400 gets locked in transmit while the Maestro continues for a few seconds, then resets with no audio. This happens every time. Plugging the key into the 6400 allows me to transmit but I hear no sidetone on the Maestro. No idea what is going on. When I hit the manual tune button this occurs as well

The 6400 has no ATU but it is hooked to an LDG AT1000ProII in auto-tune mode so SWR is resolved.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi Dennis, nice system you have there. I think it's RF bothering the 6400. Now you have to track it down to find out why..
  • AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    When using the key directly in the 6400 everything works fine. So I don't think the 6400 is being bothered.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    yea sounds like RF is getting into your network, If your running on a wireless connection try it on wired ethernet connection. 
    try moving the Router and ANY cables away from the radio and feedline as far as possible, you may want to also add some ferrite beads and read up on constant mode currents https://k0bg.com/common.html

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dennis, I know you are new to Flex, Some of us have been doing this a long time with Flex radios. It is RF. There really is nothing else that would cause a lock up. Other than connectivity issues, a drop out.
    Look to make sure you have chocks on both ends of the Lan cables. they are a great RF antenna. The end from the switch or router and the other end that connects to the radio.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Sound slike you may have RF getting into the Maestro via the CW key line.  The Maestro then locks the 6400 in transmit.  Try some fair-rites clamp on cores on your key line.  It appears that the 6400 is not bothered by RF present on the CW key line.

Sidetone:  The CW sidetone is generated in either the Maestro or the 6400.  The side tone audio generated in the 6400 is not presented to the Maestro.  Reason: There are delays through the Ethernet, you don't want to send CW with those delays.

Gayle K0FLY 
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    When you push the Tune button is the CW key plugged into the Maestro when the lockup occurs?  Try the "TUNE" with the key disconnected.
  • Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Does the problem still occur when transmitting directly into a dummy load?  
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    Hi

Bret asked the first question I always ask. Are you using WiFi or a LAN connection on the Maestro?

Mike

• AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Everyone was right. It's common mode RF currents. Got some great tips from Flex Support. I bought the "Grounding and Bonding for the Radio Amateur" book, and I'm learning how to do proper grounding and choking the lines and ethernet cables with ferrites galore. Thanks everyone! The Maestro is usable, and I'm getting excited!
  • AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Note: Do not use Powerline ethernet. FlexRadios really hate it.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2020
    I have done a bunch of testing with PowerLine and had good success.  

What I learned is that never plug them into a power bar.  The MOVs tend to **** the IP communication.

You do have to try different outlets as some work better than others.  

YMMV.

Mike

• AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    What version of Powerline are you using? The problem was completely eliminated once I stopped using the TRENDnet Powerline 200 AV PoE+ . Maybe the PoE aspect was the culprit and non-PoE versions are better at filtering noise? I never used a power bar, only direct outlets that were only separated by 2 walls.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited February 2020
    I have only tested D-Link and TP-Link.  I seemed to have more success with TP-Link
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Like Michael, I use the TP-Link adapters without issues. In the shack I have the Flex and pc connected to a switch. The switch is connected to the TP-Link adapter. At the other end the TP-Link adapter is connected to the router/Wifi access point. I use Wi-Fi with SDR Ios through the TP-Link adapters without issues, noise or otherwise.
  • AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Sounds like a good idea to put a switch in the mix at the terminating end. Might add some filtering (?). In either case, I'll retry, with a TP-Link that is not Power-over-Ethernet and see if it handles that ok. Will save me a lot of time wiring through the attic.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    @Dennis - some users have had success with Mesh installations.  I am using the Amplifi setup, including a fiber backhaul between the main house and my ham shack/workshop, with good results.

I have used the TP-Link network extenders (I actually has this running at my vacation QTH to a router in that ham shack) and with much less success the Netgear version. 

I struggled with ethernet-over-powerwires gear I tried, mostly because that trial was in a 100+ year old home where the electrical feeds were overlapping and came from different sides of the 220v feeder when broken down to 110v.  

You can search the community on Mesh Systems (use Google but restrict it to just this site) and I think I wrote up the Amplifi products at my blog.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  
  • AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Just an update: I went to some older TP-Link Powerline units, and everything works great! So the problem must lie in the Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) newer versions I tried initially. TRENDnet 200AV PoE version doesn't work, older TP-Link without PoE does! Very happy I don't have to rewire thru the attic. Thanks for the responses @Michael Walker and @John KB4DU!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I think you’re mixing up names - Powerline is not PoE. See https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/power-over-ethernet-poe-vs-power-line-networking.3202598/ for a better write up of the differences than I’d do. Glad you have a Powerline solution that works for you. 73 Steve K9ZW Blog: http://k9zw.wordpress.com
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It was Michaels suggestion that helped me avoid pulling more ethernet cables through the attic. Good that you're in business.
  • AD6DM Dennis
    AD6DM Dennis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    No I get that. My first Powerline HAS PoE (i.e. it is Powerline by TRENDnet that supplies PoE as well). The older TP-Link I have doesn't.
  • Exact same thing happened to me tonight. If MultiFlex works great but SmartLink locks in Tx, could it still be RF getting into the LAN cable? Chokes abound on the LAN / DSL lines too.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.