Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro for remote CW operation, outstanding issues

Dan Trainor
Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in Maestro
I am considering purchasing a Maestro for connecting with my 6400 remotely. I operate remotely 95% of time. My intention is to use the Maestro as a means to key the radio for CW operation. And also take advantage of the new SmartControl feature for general SSB use. My question is:  Are there any outstanding known issues / limitations related specifically to CW mode on the Maestro that I should be aware of?  Thanks in advance!  Dan

Answers

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The current versions of SmartSDR software do not allow proper operation with the Maestro and an external keyer.  If you use version 2.4.9 software, then you are OK.   This is Flex defect #7378.  Please read this chain of previous correspondence on the subject:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote-latency-rtt-change-with-maestro-cw-keying

I am VERY interested in purchasing Version 3 software, but I also like to operate CW through my Maestro.  So, I have held back from buying Version 3.   Flex has not indicated when #7378 might be fixed.

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited November 2019
    I find my Maestro doesn’t work very well on CW the feedback is choppy probably due to internet latency I have 100 down and 25 up at my control location and 25 down/4 up at the remote On SSB the receive chips at times but is usable CE is another thing However CWX seems ok But that’s keyboard not paddle sending I’ve heard of some using the Remote twins that Elecraft markets with their rigs For remote - using them for tone feedback
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    if using the built in keyer, you wont get sidetone output from the maestro, the sidetone is on the radio side only....workaround is to use an external keyer and configure the maestro for a straight key, but once you keep adding workarounds, is it even worth it? 
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks guys.  This does not look too promising. Are there any more issues that I should know about?  I may have to hold off on purchase for now. Thank you, dan
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Attach a paddle to the Maestro and activate the sound in Maestro, everything works. But if you do key the Maestro you will not get sidetone in the audio at the radio, If you key directly into the radio, you will not have the sidetone in your Maestro, that is correct, but this is due to net latency, it would drive you crazy!
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Any other recommendations? thanks
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Not sure I understand completely.  I only operate remote. Would plug paddle into Maestro.  So, sidetone from Maestro. What are issues?  dan
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So only using paddles? May work, using a stable version 2 to insure TX keying isn’t choppy....but if you want the built in winkeyer AND a paddle.....no....
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

how about an external keyer plugged into Maestro straight key plug? 
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, that’s what I did for arrl SS....I used a Mortty unit, configured as a winkeyer, on my local pc, paddles plugged into that, and maestro configured for a straight key
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks!
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

thank you.
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm not sure of the problem that WW3S is referring to. I plug my paddle directly into the Maestro keying input and hear a local sidetone coming directly from the Maestro. I've operated that way for years.

I have both the older and newer Maestro versions and they both work that way. 

I operate my Wisconsin station from 800 miles away in North Carolina all the time using a paddle and the Maestro's internal keyer using this setup.

Be aware of the keying issues beyond v2.4.9 however. Like John, I cannot use any version other than that due to a known keying defect that has not been corrected (#7378).

I had upgraded both of my stations to v3.x and discovered the problem when monitoring my own signal. John referenced the original post above.

v2.4.9 and a paddle plugged into the Maestro works flawlessly.

Fred
    K9SO
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I agree, you will hear sidetone using the configuration you stayed....however, if you also use software, like MM, or other software to send via the built in winkeyer, you WONT hear that sidetone.....so if you trust your software is sending the right message, no worries, but if want to hear both software and paddle sidetone, you’ll need an external keyer plugged into the maestro, and configure as a straight key....
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

So my purchase appears to come down the fixing of a known bug - issue #7378.  I am using SSDR version 3.1.7 and I am already dependent upon some features in that release, so it is not possible for me to go back to 2.4.9 where apparently this issue is not present.  Thus no Maestro purchase for me and I will have to look for alternatives to remote keying.  Thanks to all for notifying me of this issue before my purchase, 73 dan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.