Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Feedback on Front Speaker

Scott Grandt
Scott Grandt Member
edited November 2019 in Maestro
Appologies if this has been asked and answered....but after a few hours of poking on the boards I didn't see this issue brought up.  I just took a Maestro out of the box this weekend.  

I am using it with the front speaker for now with the FHM-2 mic.  I'll likely change this over time, but station a work in progress.  When on 20M no issues at all.  When I switch to 40M, for some reason the front speaker does not cut off when you PTT.  The result is a feedback screech that is driving my dog crazy and making talking on 40M impossible.  

I cannot imagine what setting got changed between taking it out of the box and turning it on.  Any help welcome.

Thank you.
Scott

Answers

• Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Scott,
    Do you have the monitor turned on by any chance??  I did that on Maestro with mic 2 once.
    Don, WB5HAK
  • Scott Grandt
    Scott Grandt Member
    edited January 2019
    Don,

Thanks for the reply.  Not sure I follow the comment about the monitor being on.  Is that a setting with regards to the front speaker?  With more testing this evening it appears the issue is on all bands not 20M.  

-Scott

• Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Scott,
    There is an audio monitor built into the software that allows you to hear your audio from the mic.  I don't have my 6300/Maestro on, but one of the menus will have a button labeled "monitor", and if that is on, when you talk, you get LOTS of feedback, HI.  I'll turn things on and see where that is.
    Don
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Scott,
    That button is in the transmit menu (push the mic gain/power knob in) and the button for turning the monitor off and on is just below the processor level and mic level controls, labeled "MON".  If it's highlighted, it's on and you WILL get feedback when using the front speaker on the Maestro.
    Don
  • Scott Grandt
    Scott Grandt Member
    edited February 2019
    Don,

Thank you for the help.  You gave me enough to get looking in the right direction and then followed up too.  This Flex world and HF in general is a HUGE change for me vs. the first 15 years of my time in ham radio when I would occasionally use an old VHF handheld to talk with my dad.  Got the general and extra upgrades over the last year and now been trying to figure out all the new things I can try.  It's been a fun few days and now off to the races here too.

Thanks again!

-Scott
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    My pleasure, Scott.  I probably couldn't have helped, but I had the same issue with my new Maestro (had it since the first part of January) and had to track it down, HI.  I am a VERY new Flex user, having bought the used 6300 with v2 software in October, 2018 and adding the Maestro first of the year.  I know very little on my first SDR rig in my 47th year of hamming, but on HF the whole time!!  I still have my "knobbed" transceiver too, so I alternate usage!  I hope you enjoy your purchase as I have.
    Don, WB5HAK
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Don & Scott,  I m also a new SDR user, bought my CPO 6500/Maestro A in December.  It is a whole new world to those of us from the Tube/solid state days.  I spent 3 days reading and watching videos etc. before even turning my Flex station on.  So far I am pleased with my purchase, nd the performance of the radio.  I bought the Maestro because I wanted knobs, but am slowly getting used to the touch screen way of tuning.  I have also had my ups & downs making things work right (The way I think they should work).  The Flex has Brough back the fun in Ham Radio for me.

Gene, K1GD
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Gene!!
    I'm glad to hear that there are more "newbies" than just me.  I'll never do 10% of what this 6300 is capable of doing, but it is fun to learn.  One thing that turned the corner for me was having a local vendor print in color and spiral bind both the Maestro and software manuals so I can have a page open, lying on the desk while I try new things.  I do recommend that to folks like me that have difficulty reading long things like that on the computer screen.  I do agree, Gene, that I use the knobs less as I learn, but I'm hanging onto the TS-990 for a while longer so I can retreat to buttons and knobs when I get frustrated, HI.
    Don, WB5HAK
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Don,

Boy I would like to have a printed copy of the manuals, as I also hate reading from a computer screen. Where did you go to have this done?  I am in North Texas, even though my call is a 1Land call.  Yes, I will probably never figure out or need to use everything my 6500 has, but I really enjoy what I have used to date.  I really like the remote capabilities, and have used them quite a bit.  However have run into some issues with wifi at various locations, but am slowly solving them.  I also still have my knob radios, a Icom 775DSP, and a Collins S-Line. I use the Collins 30L-1 with the 6500 with excellent results when needed.

Gene, K1GD
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Gene,
    I took it to a local office supply that has been in Duncan, OK for a long time, not a chain of any kind.  He sells copiers and does manuals and binding things for schools, etc.  Both manuals in color cost nearly $100.  No wonder they don't come free, HI.  If done in Black and White, it would have been MUCH cheaper.  Now that I have done it in color, I am not really sure that the color matters that much, so I might save the money next round.
    Don
  • Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Gene,
    If you are still in need of printed manuals, spiral bound, I visited my local vendor again to get a B/W copy of the "new" Kenwood TS-990 manual after the latest update.  If you go with black and white, NOT color, it is VERY reasonable and he will ship after making the copy.  Get my email address from QRZ, send me an email and I'll fill you in on costs.  Anyone else is welcome to do that if you have trouble getting printed manuals.  These are spiral bound, with stiff cardboard back, clear plastic front and GREAT copies.  Color is available, but as I found, NOT cheap, HI.
    73, hope it helps some,
    Don, WB5HAK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.