Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Saw & played with the Maestro for about a half hour today at Hamcation. This is professional grade hardware. Just an elegant addition to any 6000 series radio.

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the report Bob.  How is the feel of the knobs and pushbuttons/switches?
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, the tuning knobs have a heavy feeling to them, which to me is great when tuning. The smaller knobs are of legacy radio quality and feel. The menu system is well thought out, no extra stuff that you seldomly use. The case is top quality.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Might I add the display on the maestro was far beyond my expectations, very clear and larger then I expected...  my2cents
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bob, did you happen to notice if the dial shafts were metal or plastic?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Any technical details?
    • Software version of SmartSDR?
    • devices such as Bluetooth headsets or keyboards connected?
    • Was SmartSDR running simultaneously?
    • Any hands on videos?
    Thanks for sharing guys!

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Bluetooth, yes (I think Tim said they are working on it more)...  
    Did not notice the software version of SmartSDR (drat forgot to look)...
    They had SmartSDR running on a computer or two but I think all the Meaestro's were connecting via wireless to a stack of 6300 in the corner.

Did not take video or any pics but several did.. maybe they will share

David
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks David!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Seems the unit is top-shelf.  Will see it next week at the Yuma AZ hamfest (unless production units ship sooner).

Thanks....

Tim

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Metal knobs with rubber radius. Could not see the shafts.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Software version same as radio.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Bob, that's encouraging. From what you've said they have 'mass'. I like dials and knobs and rocker switches that have mass, a solid feel.  I suspect others will appreciate that as well.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Walt, I was talking to Dave WO2X on air. He said the large tuning knob is weighted much the same as a large rig would have, a good weight to it. He also said the build quality is first rate.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Frankly Bill, that was my main concern. I don't like dealing with plastic things as we, as a society, have gotten used to based on lowest bidder manufacturing. So that is a huge plus in my book.

The reality is even though I rarely use two pans or, more than 2 slices, and only have ever used 4 to say I did, I did buy 4 and I'd like to not give 2 of them up. I'd  get past the Windows OS so long as it wasn't in my face, which it wouldn't be w/Maestro but then I'd still need a computer for all the ancillary things like logging, device control, etc. I will likely sit out this version of it...for now.  I am encouraged on the possibilities for the next generation Maestro, be it software or hardware.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Bob,
    Sorry to have missed the Hamcation: I was planning to attend.  However, my in law is not doing well and had to head up north to Georgia.
    Thanks again for bringing us up to day on the Maestro.

• W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Can't wait!!!  de W3DCB  Daniel
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    The main vfo knob is metal with rubber inlay as others have pointed out. If you spin it fast, the radio will continue to travel up or down the band very like traditional radios with larger VFO knobs. The weight isn't as much as a larger knob radio but very nice and well balanced for the size of the Maestro.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dave, does the tuning rate vary as you spin the knob faster?  I believe someone posted that it's 64 steps per knob revolution, but does it accelerate beyond that if you turn, turn, turn?

Thanks, Barry
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    I will check later but I normally use 1 kHz step on 75 meters and could way from 3.814 to 3.630 very quickly :-) it is also easy to change step size.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Have not found a maestro video yet.
    Maybe FRS or some ham will have one for us, who can't visit sunny Florida?
    But I found this on Steve K9ZW's page:
    https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/hamcation-2016-maestro-production-unit/
    Alex - DH2ID
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I see from the data sheet that the mic connector on the rear of Maestro is an RJ-45.  The mic shipped with my 6500 has an 8 pin foster connector.  Is the mic socket wired as a Yaesu Modular or it is unique to the Maestro?  If the former then we can use an adapter and not have to buy a whole extra mic.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David, here

http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/maestro/

it says: " Microphone 1: Pseudo-balanced 8-pin RJ-45, dynamic or electret compatible (Same “Yaesu type” pinout as FLEX-1500 and FLEX-3000)...Microphone 2: Pseudo-balanced 1⁄8” (3.5mm) TRS, dynamic or electret compatible...Microphone Impedance: 600 Ohms Nominal (200-10kΩ)"

I found that my YAESU M100A8X microphone is working very well with my
    Flex-6500. It has a 8pin foster plug and a RJ-45 one and you can just turn
    the cable around and plug it into either one. Great idea!

And FRS made the best out of it: My Flex 3k, which I use mostly for EMCOMM
    and fielddays, has a RJ-45 connector and my Flex 6k5 the 8pin one.
    I can therefore use my MD-100 with both of them!

73, Alex - DH2ID
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    The RJ45 is wired Yaesu and Flex sells a replacement cable for the hand mic that has an RJ45 instead or 8 pin Foster. Price is about $12 and can be ordered when your Maestro ships.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Alex ... I will buy an adapter cable now that I know.  I use a PR-781 into the balanced connection on my 6500 so the supplied fist mic is superfluous for mist use but with the adapter it will be fine for the Maestro!

David G4NRT
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is great to know.  I was just going to suggest that very thing!  I hadn't checked the accessories list in the flex store.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I wonder how long it will be before people suggest that the Maestro Mk II should be made so that it can be attached to the front of the rig. People may then like it so much that the Flex 7xxx will come with the Maestro permanently attached to the black box...and this is where Gerald Youngblood (K5SDR) came in. He would think that <cue Twilight Zone intro> he is in a time loop.

Sri chaps, couldn't resist.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.