Maestro dies when internal Battery Dies..Does the display of 6400M /6600M have similar "design feature"

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I have read a few posting about the Maestro internal battery going dead  when not plugged into power source of a period of time ( ~ months) and it can not be revived by the end user and must be sent back to the factory for repair.

So my question is does the display of the 6400M /6600M suffer the same fate??

Does it contain a battery that might not only will take down the whole display but possibly the whole radio?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 175 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Mike va3mw

Mike va3mw

• 824 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
I have killed my battery in my Maestro a few times and it has never been sent back.  I do it as part of Alpha testing.

If this happens, it is a rare case.  I suspect that Tim or Dudley might comment.

Mike va3mw
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1272 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes

@Paul K3SF - as an FYI the phenomena is not universal with all Maestro allowed to go completely discharged.  Of the three Maestro I've been working with only one had to go in for a restart, and once factory refreshed it has been A-Okay since. 

On the refreshed Maestro FlexRadio Systems was kind enough to send a shipping label, cover return shipping, and covered the service costs. 

Gerald K5SDR has said the new M-models (Flex-6400M and Flex-6600M) are very different "under the hood" utilize major components from several vendors. 

He has also told us that the M-model while functionally very similar to a radio with a Maestro faceplate, that it is a different configuration.

That said I would expect that FRS will avoid the issues as part of the integration of accumulated knowledge into the newest models.

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
So my question is does the display of the 6400M /6600M suffer the same fate??

It will not.

Does it contain a battery that might not only will take down the whole display but possibly the whole radio?

The display unit is separate from the radio in this regard so the answer is no, a fault in the display would not take down the radio.  
(Edited)
Photo of K3ZJ - Dave

K3ZJ - Dave

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Tim, please clarify.  Do the Maestro and the 6400M/6600M use volatile memory so that if stored in their boxes for 12 or more months there likely will be a problem if the battery discharges during storage time? 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
They do not use volatile memory
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 676 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
There is no internal battery in the FLEX-6400M/6600M models.  So no, you would not have to consider this issue.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 175 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Thank you...

That was very specific and to the point and clearly addresses my concern.

I am a 6300 owner and have reserved my upgrade to the 6600M
right after Dayton.