Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

maestro delivery

Answers

• Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    Mike, those customers outside of USA generally have to buy their Flex gear via distributors. You may find that some distributors put in orders for future customers, a long time ago. In fact, well in advance of those individual customers placing an order with the distributor. So it seems 'quick' but actually isn't because the distributor will have joined the queue quite a while ago. 73 Paul M0CVX
  • KD4HSO
    KD4HSO Member
    edited June 2016
    Ditto.  I see several now placed in 10/15 and 11/15 that have received invoices.  I placed mine 9/14/15 and have received no invoice.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    KD4HSO - I recommend contacting Sales (sales@flexradio.com) if you feel there is an issue.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Paul pretty much explained my situation.   I did not stop to think about the distributor angle.  According to folks at Flex,  I should see my invoice in 2 or 3 weeks.   I will post when I do.   Regards,  Mike
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited March 2017
    As a prospective buyer, I called in today and was told 3 to 4 weeks waiting time if I purchased the Maestro today. If people who purchased last year are still waiting what are the odds that a purchase in the next few days will see a ship date in the next few months or even this year? I will only have 30 days to return the Flex 6300 (not saying I would), I would prefer to use both the 6300 and Maestro together and decide during the same window so to speak, not sure if I want to pull the trigger knowing there is such a backlog. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The odds are essentially 100% that you will receive a Maestro in approximately 4 weeks.  Basically what you were told when you called in.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Tim, 

I don't mean any disrespect by my post. I'm ordering the combo now and will use a laptop, desktop or iPad to control the 6300. If you're the same person I spoke to earlier, thanks for all of the information!

I'm looking very forward to using this all over the house. I'm keeping the Yaesu MP1000 Mark V, it's simply too nice to let go of but not sure how much use it will get going down the road. :)
  • Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here's my order chronology.  I don't know if this is a fluke, or a new push to move them out faster,  but they shipped mine the day after I paid the updated invoice.  I'm certainly not complaining!

Preordered:                 28 Oct 2015
    Invoice rcvd & paid:    09 Jun 2016  
    UPS origin scan:         10 Jun 2016 !! for delivery next week
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I held back while waiting for somebody to post his impressions of a Maestro he picked up today.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't know if I could have been that patient. I'm doing more research tonight, a YouTuber picked up his Maestro today and posted a few videos, I didn't realize the Maestro didn't come with batteries, for a unit that cost just a little bit less than an Icom 7300 I'm a bit put off by that. I'm going to sleep on it and make a final decision some time tomorrow.  

Not that a lack of batteries will stop me, I just need to figure out what I want to buy, thanks for the info.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    From what I understand there are now tight restriction on shipping batteries by air
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Doing a quick search I find nothing that would restrict including batteries within the US, maybe where you live this might be the case, I'm not sure. In the end I'll buy batteries from Amazon or eBay but they really should have been included for a device that costs almost as much as a transceiver. 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My Apologies to MasterCard commercials Battery cost - $20 Product liability cost - priceless Sorry but FlexRadio will not be in the business of shipping LiPo batteries.
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Gerald,

Is there any chance of Maestro giving the charge level? For example, the current battery symbol would indicate the charge level. Currently I must remove the battery door to see the charge level of the battery.

Jim

ka7gzr

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Charge level indict ion was answered previously. 'The issue is that these battery packs do not normally have an external charge sensing level indication line and the packs are designed to provide an near constant 5.2V output until depleted. So there is no way to externally detect charge levels.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    "FlexRadio will not be in the business of shipping LiPo batteries". Every single laptop sold, tablets, phones etc come with these very types of batteries, am I missing what the product liability cost might be?

I'm not trying to be a **** about it, I'm trying to figure out how FlexRadio can't (or won't might be more appropriate) do what so many thousands of others do without issue.

I like the product, I'm most likely buying the 6300 / Maestro kit, it's sitting in the shopping cart. It's just for the kind of money these devices cost I'd like to clear up what shouldn't be considered product liability.

I'm new to the SDR game, so I'm curious.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Tablets etc use specific purpose built batteries designed for those devices In order to save costs, Flex chose to use external LOW cost LiPO batteri4s that are used as USB charge devices which are readily available from Amazon for $20. When you build and ship a device with a purpose built battery, you need to go through a lot of expensive testing and approvals. The cost of such would be cost prohibitive over a small run like Maestro .. Even then there are strict regulations and restrictions on shipping and in some cases it's impossible to send them by air. To many parts of the world. Plus you open yourself up to product liability issues if the batteries fail or catch fire. Further the current design allows you to be able to use extra low cost batteries if needed. Bottom Line: unless hams were willing to pay a lot more than $20 for a battery , a battery is not included.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Well without the resources of an HP or company like that I can see how it could cost a lot more to design. Personally, if we're spending $3,700 on the 6300 with the Maestro I'd prefer to buy the good battery over the low cost one and lower the chance of having an issue. 

Last question, do you have the link for the battery they recommend? I'd like to have that here for when the Maestro arrives.

Thanks for the responses, have a great night!
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited May 2020
    I pulled the trigger on the 6300, Astron PSU and Maestro, woot woot!
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Im sure youll love the new flex combination.  I have had my 6500 nearly 2 years.  Its been on everyday (when im home) and love it.  Now with the new maestro its even better.  Nearly 40 years a ham, and I can say its the best radio Ive owned, even better than the FTdx5000 that sits beside it (which hardly gets turned on now)
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I don't mean to Hijack this thread but I do have a quick last comment on the LiPo battery.

I'm a little confused here but I think that Flex is already shipping LiPo batteries in the Maestro. I believe the internal battery-the one that holds the Maestro up during battery swaps- has a charging system and it is a LiPo battery?

Most likely a small battery.

Jim

ka7gzr

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I agree with Howard- this is a good battery with a slick indicator for charge level.

Jim

ka7gzr

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have a 6300, I can't find the trigger.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's on the Maestro..
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Tim, looking forward to getting it, hopefully getting some family members involved once they see they can be anywhere in the house to operate. 
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Wayne,

I have a Yaesu MP1000 Mark V, not in the same class as the 5000 but a pretty good rig. Ever since I got the SDRPlay the Mark V has been idle (been listening mostly) and being able to pick a signal from an entire band has been incredible.

I was going to configure the SDRPlay as a panadapter but not going to worry about that now the the Flex combo is on its way.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Those batteries, correct me if I'm wrong, they put out so little that they couldn't cause a fire or similar problem if they tried.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Burt, do you like the 6300?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If WAN wasn't coming I would sell it. The KX3/PX3 combo just works,, I have used it on Cw, PSK, RTTY and it copies CW no configuring this, configuring that  and facing towards Mecca. Since April I used the 6300 once and the KX3 for 90% of my contacts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.