Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Control Console for the FLEX-6000

Rob G6EIH
Rob G6EIH Member
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Battery purchase options?? what are they or should we assume you don't supply.

Your Maestro will ship with the following accessories: 

• Fixed Stand (set at angle)
  • 6 foot DC Power Cable
  • AC/DC Power Supply
  • 7 foot Ethernet cable
  • 1/4" to 1/8" adapter - qty. 1 
  • Quick Start Guide

Optional accessories will be:

U.S. AC Power Supply (spare)

120/240 VAC to 12 VDC wall mount power supply with US two prong plug

$29.95

International AC Power Supply

120/240 VAC to 12 VDC 25W power supply for international usage.  AC inlet provides 3-pole IEC320-C14 connector with power cord options available for EU, UK, Continental Europe or ROW.

$34.95

DC Power Cable (spare)

7 foot DC power cable with 2.1mm barrel plug and pigtails for direct connection to a 13.8 VDC shack power bus.

$12.00

Tilt Feet

Variable tilt feet with constant torque.  Feet fold flat for easier transport of your Maestro.

$89.95

Handheld Microphone with RJ-45 Connector

Handheld microphone with RJ-45 connector to use with Maestro.  This same mic is used on the FLEX-1500 and FLEX-3000 transceivers.

$59.99

RJ-45 Mic Adapter Cable

Microphone cable with RJ-45 connector. Used to replace foster cable that shipped on hand-mic supplied with the FLEX-6X00 transceivers.

$12.00

Soft-side Travel Case

Soft-side canvas bag with FlexRadio logo for on-the-go.  Room for Maestro, headset, keyer, cables and numerous accessory items.  Separately, this case can also be used to carry your FLEX-6000 Series radio.
image image

$129.95

In addition, we are looking into offering a hard-side SKB case with a custom insert for Maestro with some room for additional accessory items.  This case would be branded with the Maestro and/or the FlexRadio logo and would retail for approximately $200.  If this item would be of interest please also be sure to note that on your survey response and we will notify you once we begin offering this accessory.

Dear CEO what purchase options are or will you be offering on Maestro battery, I don't see any offered as yet.

Please kindly advise.

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Rob - When I met the Flex reps at a hamfest recently I seem to remember hearing the Maestro was designed to work with off-the-shelf battery packs, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mogix-Accessories-10400mAh-External-Battery/dp/B00MFVNLXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electro...

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes I think I did read that and thanks for the link however finding the same item on Amazon.co.uk does not exist, prefer to use recommended accessories when recommended. I guess I can look for an alternative but will it fit the space? The item Flex suggest is a USA option and not international.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Hi Rob

Going to expect we'll be given a list of known compatible battery packs to source locally. 

Given the logistics of shipping/storing batteries that sort of approach would seem to make sense.

I've in mind to built a rechargeable high-capacity powerpack myself, perhaps around a small gel-cell like a Hawker Odyssey.  I can see using it for a contest weekend.

What would be useful for forward planning is some knowledge of the compartment size and connector expectations for a battery that will tuck in there.

Steve

K9ZW

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    I agree Steve, compartment size dim's would be a big help, I travel a lot and want to be able to use Maestro when away from home.

Hopefully FRS will post some more info soon.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Just checked the Amazon UK site.. and at first glance I did not see a battery that would work

In addition to dimensions that fit, you need to have a 2.5A 5V output port on the battery and it must be a self starting battery...

I am sure that Flex will publish more detailed specs when they get closer to release. 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

The maximum dimensions for the battery pack are 6" x 3" x 0.75"

As Howard stated, if the battery pack is not self starting, then you will need to hit a button on the pack to get it to start supplying voltage to the Maestro.

+1 for the Mogix listed previously.

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have decided to preempt my Maestro arriving by ordering two of the Mogix batteries from Amazon in the US.  

They are being shipped to my Bundle Box location in Louisville, KY who will ship them to me and take care of import duty and VAT etc.  

It is probably an expensive solution but at least I am assured of having the 'right' batteries for use in my Maestro - whenever it appears!

I shall probably use the same method to shop for other items to support my Maestro if the UK emporia do not stock them.

David G4NRT
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks David
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    David you reminded me of a method I used in the past, I got some on order now and will be here in about three weeks time.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sometimes it is the easiest way!! David G4NRT
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@David G4NRT - With most of the family having dual USA/UK citizenship (not myself, I just have an EU right to reside and work) we'd usually just hand carried  whatever needed, but I am intrigued by Bundle Box. 

Does Bundle Box work well?  To ship internationally by UPS or FedEx is quite a challenge unless you do it often.  Think inches of paperwork asking questions you have little idea how to answer.  Its own world.

Also do you know of a UK based similar service?

Thank you for the tip and exposure to a shipping alternative!

Steve K9ZW

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Steve K9ZW - I find Bundle Box excellent!  There is also a service called Bongo International (http://www.bongous.com) which will give you mailing addresses in the US (CA or FL), UK, Europe (Belgium) and Peru.  Sometimes it is good to choose one US state or another depending where the order is coming from and therefore whether there is US Sales tax to pay.

I sometimes use one and sometimes the other.  There are many similar services. I think they are all much of a muchness!

They all work the same.  You have your package(s) sent to your mailing address with them and they will re-package multiple packages into one consignment etc. and they will then sort out shipping, duty and VAT etc.  Generally, they inform you that a consignment has arrived and ask what you want done with it.

THERE IS A CHARGE but I find it convenient and often the savings made by buying in the US balance those out.  Also, you are not subject to outrageous 'handling fees' which people like Royal Mail, FedEx, UPS etc. charge.  

David G4NRT
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I can add my recommendation for Bongo. Despite having free trade between the US and Canada I find many US companies and some US amateurs are unable to ship to Canada, but will ship within the US often with "shipping included" . Having a US ship address is very handy (and Bongo gives you an address in CA or FL) and as David says there are often cost savings in bundling shipping. They also will pre-pay our GST so the items can be delivered directly to your door.

There can be substantial cost savings for example between items on Amazon Canada and Amazon US, I ordered the LAN/Optical gear from Amazon US, had it shipped free to Bongo and then shipped to me and saved well over 50% on the price.

Tim VE6SH
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This information was posted by Steve Hicks to the Alpha group.  I used a Mogix battery this weekend for just over 4 hours before it ran out of gas.

http://www.amazon.com/Mogix-Accessories-10400mAh-External-Battery/dp/B00MFVNLXK

- Max battery dimensions are 3.00" x 6.00" x 0.75"

- Needs a minimum of two connections:

- one USB-Micro-B-Female for charging the battery

- one USB-A-Female for power draw

- Minimum current supply of 2.5A at 5V output (3 - 3.5A is better and packs that disconnect at the lower current could be an issue -- we have not had this occur and all have supplied the current we needed regardless of markings)

- Auto-start on load preferred.  90% of the packs we tested had this feature that initiates current supply from the USB A connector on introduction of a load.  With this feature, you will be able to "**** the power adapter and go" and the Maestro will automatically switch to battery power.  Without it, you will have to depress a button on the battery to start current flow

- Capacity: most packs are rated in milliamp-hours (mAh).  BUT, while the pack supplies 5V, many will quote the mAh power rating in the 3.7V domain which is the typical voltage of the internal Li-ion battery back.  In this case, you must generally multiply by 0.67 to get a realistic number.  The Maestro draws approximately 1.5A at 5V after it has been fully charged.  Many packs do not meet their stated power capacities also, so you'll just have to try some and see what works best for you.  We have not done extensive capacity testing on any batteries at this point.  

- Start button: this is optional should there be any issues with auto-start on the pack.  The placement is important, though and you would prefer that the start button be on the flat side of the battery and not the edges since it will be easier to depress without removing the battery.
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Great reply Gerald and many thanks for all the battery detail.

From one CEO to another good to see you guys supporting us over the pond. 5*
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I would appreciate comments about other suitable batteries. Most of batteries listed on ebay Australia have maximum current of 2.1 A and often exceed physical size quoted by Gerald.
    Also, what Whr minimum value is required?

Tom, SP7WT
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A word of caution ... my Mogix batteries duly arrived at Bongo (not Bundlebox as I said before - I have accounts with both).  They have refused to ship them to the UK, classing them as hazardous and therefore not allowed.

I am now having them re-shipped (at my expense) to a friend in California and she will re-package and send them on to me by USPS mail. I just hope that they make it!

We are going to have to re-think this whole Maestro battery thing ... this is not going to be an acceptable way to go I feel.  We really need a source of suitable batteries here in the UK and Europe.

David G4NRT
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I used to work for a company who supplied 8 & 12 KWh (at 78v) batteries for an electric car that was being built locally in France. The battery packs were made in China and were LiFePO
    4. Sample packs were sometimes needed quickly and the airlines would not carry them unless they had less that, I think, 10% charge. They also had to be packed in suitable wooden boxes. Even shipping by sea they could not have more than 30% charge.

I am pretty sure that smaller batteries may be OK but it would not surprise me to find that many international carriers will not transport them in an aircraft if they know what they are.

Tim
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I sympathise with you David, as we are facing the same problem here in Australia. I will be travelling to the U.S. next month to visit family, and also to attend Dayton, but I don't think I want to chance carrying one or two batteries back with me on the aircraft. It would really help if we could source the batteries here. The only other option I have is for my Daughter to ship one back by USPS and see what happens.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    May I respectfully suggest our fellow FleXers in UK / Australia (or anywhere outside USA) meander on up/down to the local "computer store" and look for a "USB Portable Power Bank". There should be ones available off the shelf that match the requirements already posted on this thread.

As to shipping goes, my experience with a shipping agent was there is a distinction between the battery cells sent separately versus being in the device they are intended to be used in.  For the Maestro power pack, the lithium cells (aka. battery) are in the device they are intended to be used in (the power bank). That is my interpretation of these rules:

http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/

It appears the Airliner Carry-On rules are a bit more relaxe  versus checked baggage.  If a power bank is to be purchased and transported on an airline one should carefully review the airliner's rules. Bring a paper copy while traveling as the agent may not understand the exact verbiage.

The energy capacity of the batteries have a maximum limit before it becomes forbidden. The Apple iPro has a 38.5 WH lithium battery but it seems people carry these on board and they are shipped routinely. Converting 38.5 Watt-Hour @ 3.2V is 12030 MaH. If your USB Power Bank is less then this figure one should have a good argument they did not exceed the maximum permitted battery capacity.

I have a Tenergy 51063 (8000 mA-H) 
    http://www.all-battery.com/Tenergy8000mAhSlimDualPortPowerBank-51062.aspx

Hopefully it will work.  Being enclosed in an Aluminium/Aluminum shell  adds protection.

k3Tim
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

RJ-45 Mic Adapter Cable

Microphone cable with RJ-45 connector. Used to replace foster cable that shipped on hand-mic supplied with the FLEX-6X00 transceivers.

What does it look like? How long is it?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

Same length sa original mic cable. You can remove original cable from base of mic. See pictures

Dave wo2x

imageimage
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

No,  they sell a new replacement cable for the hand mic which has RJ-45 on both ends. See my pics below.

Dave wo2x

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm guessing its that lil guy
    Your Price:
      $23.99   ???

No,  they sell a new replacement cable for the hand mic which has RJ-45 on both ends

Hmm... I don't think either of them is going to work directly with my current Heil HMM handheld. Will have to use several adapters in a chain to get there...
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Do you have a link to this replacement cable?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

I just went on Amazon.co.uk and found two items which list the dimensions smaller than the maximum. US dimensions are 6" x 3" x 0.75" max. That equates to 15.24 cm x 7.62 cm x 1.905 cm.

Here's a link to the two I found.  I am sure there are more that will work. I have not tested these.

NOTE - Looks like the Easy ACC wound need to be oriented with the LEDs facing down so you couldn't pop the battery door open to see remaining charge.

The GamerGrade might be tight since the micro USB is in the center instead of on the end.

Dave wo2x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GamerGrade%C2%AE-BlackVenom-11000mAh-Portable-External/dp/B015LYGU9E/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1460217499&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=battery+bank+12000&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-10000mAh-Brilliant-Smartphone-Bluetooth/dp/B00H9BEC8E/ref=sr_1_2?srs=9244322031&ie=UTF8&qid=1460218551&sr=8-2&keywords=easyacc+10000

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

You need the AD-1 YM adapter from Heil. That is 1/8 + 1/4 to RJ-45 Yaesu wiring.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

http://cart.flexradio.com/RJ45-Cable-For-FHM-1-Microphone_p_969.html

No picture but that is the cable. Note, it states Maestro in the compatibility

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Dave!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.