Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro at Starbucks Coffee Place via WAN Works Fantastic!!!!!!!

Options
mikeatthebeach .
mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Starbucks Remote Ham Band Maestro Remote On CW See pictures below No Splash Screen HooToo Travel Router and Maestro !!!!! Having Fun Mike imageimage

Comments

• tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Mike this is great. I'm wondering why you picked that particular router. Looks like it has a lot of extra neat features. Wondering why that one. Thanks Tom KB5RF
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited December 2019
    Options
    No cables Built in 10.4maH battery HooToo Titan Traveler Works Great!
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Please give more details about how Maestro is connected.

How long can you operate before the Maestro locks up on receive (waterfall freezes w/no audio) and you have to reboot? 

Is your Maestro gen1 or gen2?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Mine is Gen 2
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Is the HooToo connected to Starbucks WiFi and bridged to the Maestro?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yes, it is ! HooToo connects to Starbucks and Maestro then connects to HooToo Mike
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The built-in battery would do it for me! Set-and-forget is the other useful thing. I bought a GL-iNet Slate because it’s set-and-forget AND it allows WiFi control of my Nikon camera! But no battery :-( Need to use my cellphone booster battery with it. There are a number of great choices these days.
  • Tim Aust
    Tim Aust Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Looks great
  • nz2z
    nz2z Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    How do you get through the splash screen?

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Typically you use a smartphone or tablet (or a laptop) to facilitate the WiFi connection process. The extra device connects with Ethernet or WiFi to the travel router’s client network (not the one that will connect to the coffee shop hotspot).
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Excellent post and it looks like Mike is having a lot of fun.

Question: Why the need for the HooToo Travel Router? Is it a security thing and/or is the Maestro's wifi capabilities on the weak side? In other words, why not just use the wifi in the Maestro to connect to Starbucks wifi and avoid carrying around another piece of equipment. Please forgive my ignorance as I am a new Maestro owner and have only used it around the house with the wifi here. Seems to work just fine. TIA.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    One phrase: Captive portal login :-( The Maestro is not capable of satisfying a web-based captive portal to agree to the WiFi suppliers conditions / contract.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thanks Ted. As weird as it may seem, I have as of yet never logged into another(free) wifi network. So should I decide to do so than the above router would be a necessity to keep everyone happy.
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Ted,

How does the router get past the signon?  Do you use a phone or something to agree to the terms and then good to go?

Harold
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The router will allow browser access through its private Ethernet or WiFi connection to its public (Starbucks, whatever) WiFi connection, thus interacting with the site’s login or connection agreement requirements. So, yes, you typically need a phone, iPad, or other device with a screen. At least that’s the way it works with my GL-iNet travel router - no reason this one would be any different. Oh, and once you agree to the terms, you are absolutely right Harold, you can put your phone back in your pocket :-)
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I just purchased a HooToo and am having a bit of difficulty.  I can put it in the Bridging mode and can access the local Starbucks wifi portal just fine.  I use my iPhone to get past the Starbucks log in and the HooToo is discoverable by my iPhone.  I turn on the Maestro and it discovers the HooToo and connects.  However the Maestro will not complete the boot up to the radio.  It sees my 6500.  However it will not complete the boot cycle.  I have tried other wifi hotspots including my own and I get the same results.
    Are there any settings in the HooToo that have to be changed.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob, KN4HH
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If it truly does have bridge mode, nothing should be standing in the way. Does SmartLink work from elsewhere with WiFi _without_ the HooToo in the loop?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Try not using WEP or WEP2 in the setup of the HooToo Set HooToo to be Unrestricted -No Encryption Mike
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yes, Smartlink works fine using my iPhone hotspot.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2019
    Options
    In the HooToo Router Software to access the HooToo try choosing no WEP or no WEP2 Encryption Otherwise the Maestro will not like it ! No Encryption Mike
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I tried no WEP and still no change.  The Maestro boots up to the point where the top of the display is populated but no panadapter or waterfall.  I tried Smartsdr for ios on my iPhone using the HooToo and it works.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If you are at Starbucks and trying to use The Maestro remotely and see no Spectrum And Waterfall it may be due to the speed of You home internet connection How fast is your home WiFi to WAN outside During a SpeedTest I run Fiber FIOS at unbelievable speed Of 500Mbytes/sec upload and download The Maestro needs at least 2 to 3 Mbytes/sec Upload, the faster the better Mike
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My home network runs 150 Mbytes download and 15 Mbytes upload.  Speedtest at Starbucks shows 10 Mbytes/sec download and 4 Mbytes/sec upload.  Using my iPhone hot spot, I have no problem using the Maestro.
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I tried manually selecting DHCP in the Maestro Network Menu and now I get a good connection to the 6500 via the Starbucks internet.  Sorry for all the bandwidth.
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

73, Bob, KN4HH
  • chris1165
    chris1165 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    This is amazing and why I just ordered the 6400 and Maestro.  Heck, all I want to do is take the Maestro out on my deck or take it to my daughters house when I visit.  But this.... This is too much. I'm excited and can't wait to operate CW remotely.  TU for sharing.

de N3MLB
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Chris Get a lot of remarks at Starbucks when working CW with the Maestro there and I tell them I am texting My friends via CW !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuRE... 73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.