Maestro advice please

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I am considering purchasing a Maestro but would appreciate some advice on a couple of points before I decide.  I plan  to use the Maestro in the shack as a control interface, although using it outside on the patio on a (very rare) warm sunny Scottish day would be good too. The questions are:

1.  I recall that there was some comment on the CW sidetone being raspy.  As a keen CW op I would rather it was easy on the ear.  Anyone got any opinions on this?

2.  Will CAT and DAX still work on my shack PC whilst I am using Maestro so I can still use HRD logbook and  DM780?

3.  I have an Archer AC750 router.  Although I will use the Maestro on ethernet in the shack has anyone experience of WiFi wit the Maestro on this router?  Just in case of the odd sunny day....

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Peter GM4WCE
Photo of Peter Kirsop

Peter Kirsop

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 208 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Hi Peter.

Yes the sidetone is still 'raspy' I haven't heard anything recently on this and don't know if it is something that can be fixed in software or not?

Yes CAT and DAX work exactly the same whether using SmartSDR or Maestro.

No experience with that particular router but I know others have had success with TP-LINK and it is dual band so it should work (make sure you connect at 5GHz though).

Thanks

Phil
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 446 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes

For "in the shack" you don't have to connect the headphones to the maestro and if using a memory keyer (e.g. N1MM+) it may be better to connect headphones to the 6000 server. 

Currently, using the Maestro as a control surface also brings across the GUI so SSDR cannot run concurrently for a large panadapter display.

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
But if you're in the shack it makes more sense to connect every peripheral to the radio and just use Maestro as an expensive set of knobs and panadapter. Essentially, it gives you back knobs and switches, which many actually prefer anyway.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1663 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Getting a good display, on the shack desktop, as opposed to taking up screen real estate on the Windows desktop has it's advantages too.

73, Jay - NO5J
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Ergonomically, I think its great. Like a HUD in a car, everything you are interested in is right there in your line of sight.
(Edited)
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Peter,

A full review in RadCom this month. Plenty already going up for sale on here and on qrz.com 
Photo of ka7gzr

ka7gzr

• 217 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

Steve,

Do you have a link to the Radcom review?

Jim

Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Sorry, Radcom is available by annual subscription to RSGB members.
Photo of Paul - W3PH

Paul - W3PH

• 27 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Which issue is this?  I don't see anything about the Maestro in June or July Radcom.  (Yes, there are RSGB members on this side of the pond ;-) ).
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Paul, You will need the August issue. Pages 40 to 42. Only just landed in my mainland UK post box, so expect some time before you see it. It its anything like my CQ magazine then about 3 weeks later.

I think they also put past issues on the web about 4-6 weeks after postal date.
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Peter,

In case you don't get to see the Radcom review, it is pretty fair and balanced technically. Mike Richards G4WNC wrote it and I think the overall conclusion is positive, if you want that kind of interface.

However, the cost is going to be a real sales killer in EU. Here it is retailing at £1,199.00 so that is about $1,586 usd (nearly $600 uplift on US prices). Whilst this may still sound good for a TCVR, you have to remember that Maestro is just an interface - essentially just a Dell tablet with some knobs on the side.

It contrasts really badly against the review of the Icom 7300 by Peter Hart in the same issue of Radcom. He gives big praise to this new SDR, which is obviously a fully functioning complete transceiver covering HF to 4m for around £150 ($197usd) less than the cost of the Maestro alone.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1397 Posts
  • 708 Reply Likes

Couple very quick comments:

• The $1586 (UKP 1,199 at a 1.32 exchange rate) will vary on exchange rate, and should be compared to the USD $1199 plus shipping regular sell price.  ( Wouldn't this be a sub USD $400/ sub UKP 300 spread, rather than the nearly $600/UKP 450 spread?)

• The UK pricing is for a different Stocking Distributor distribution channel, with added international transfer costs, exchange rate projected rates and fees, and costs different than a direct-from-same-country-factory distribution channel.  Uncertain if the UK levies any duty on commercial importation of amateur radio gear, as the HST site suggests both a modest rate might be assessed (circa 5%) and a processing fee. Regardless the cost structure is different and there is always that 20% VAT portion to back out of comparisons.

• Understood from previous threads that the end UK Price is set by the UK Dealers, and while FRS certain has an influence the sell price is dealer set.

• Also it is perhaps a better comparison method to look at combined Maestro/Flex-6x00 investment, good or bad, with the Maestro being an add-on requiring a Flex-6x00 radio to be useful.

• I've had operating time with a IC-7300 and a Maestro side by side in the W9EVT Shack, and the experience is not equivalent. YMMV of course, but while the IC-7300 is fine rig and one I might pick for portable operations, the Maestro/Flex-6300 combination is more ergonomic and a better DXer's experience.  The differences are over-discussed in many threads and across the various internet forums, and both radios earn the respect they get - they just are not equivalent choices. 

BTW curious if the EU continental distributors price the Maestro at the same UKP 1199 for all EU markets? 

Appreciate the insight into the RADCOM reviews.  Hopefully they will go up online for wider readership at some point.

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 292 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,

My comparison is purely monetary. I had no interest in technical merit.

Obviously they cannot be compared technically as one is just a control panel and the other is a complete transceiver. But that is kind of the point really. Financially it compares badly.  In other words, if we removed the TCVR part of the IC-7300, how much might the remaining front panel cost?

I know there are lots of reasons why, import duty, sales taxes, reseller margins etc, My point is that when you look purely at "value for money" it fails the XYL test.

Paul: to be clear the review is by one Ham, it was not conducted by the RSGB.
Photo of Paul - W3PH

Paul - W3PH

• 27 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've finally read the RSGB review and they did like it.  The review isn't highly detailed, but it's favorable.  Glad I paid the $US price.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
That very Maestro is now installed and operational with at FLEX-6500 at the Bletchley Park NRC exhibit.  

Most of the pricing difference in the UK is the uplift for your 20% VAT.  US list pricing never includes sales tax but yours does as I understand it.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
For RSGB members (only, sorry, login required) the August issue of RadCom with the Maestro review is now available online:

Maybe Flex can get the rights from RSGB to reprint the review?

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
For RSGB members (only, sorry, login required) the August issue of RadCom with the Maestro review is now available online:

https://thersgb.org/members/publicati...

Maybe Flex can get the rights from RSGB to reprint the review?

Peter
K1PGV

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.