Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro

Options
Paul M
Paul M Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Maestro
Is there a timetable or road map to integrate third party programs onto the Maestro such as logging or digital modes?  

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Paul - there are no plans to provide the ability to run third-party applications on the Maestro.  For logging and digital modes, you will need to use a PC.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

@Tim - will an additional interface continue to be required for Flex-Compatible hardware (i.e. the 4o3a Antenna/Rotor/Station/Power Genius series products as an example)? 

I have them configured to a separate device presently, and was wondering if there was an indication available whether future integration would allow Maestro-centric interface as an alternative to the SmartSDR Software centered model?

TBD/Later/Decision not ready to share certainly are valid answers of course.

Thank you and 73

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    We are considering some future integration with third-party products in SmartSDR for Windows for station integration. No plans to do anything with Maestro at this point.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thank you Tim.

It could be really useful to have enough of a "stub" of "SmartSDR for Windows" that could run in parallel with "SmartSDR for Maestro" to allow applications like the 4o3a control apps, loggers and some of the other currently ecosystem-cooperatively-cohabitant programs to run. 

Perhaps the direct control of the "SmartSDR for Radio Server" (what should we call the radio carried software?) remains "SmartSDR for Maestro" only when a Maestro is in use in that structure.

Appreciate the insight,

Steve K9ZW

• Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That limits the usefulness for me.  My purpose was for traveling and using my station remote.   With no connectivity I am not sure it is for me.  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options

USE DDUTIL on the separate PC.. the Maestro controls the radio.  DDUTIL listens to the radio via Ethernet and controls all the peripherals and loggers, etc

Nothing different except the client is Maestro rather than SSDR

• Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Howard!   I figured that out right after I posted, then I removed my post.

You're a great resource and generous of your time.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options

@Paul

I travel all the time.. To do any logging and/or digital modes you will need a PC in addition to the Maestro.  OR, you can use an iPad with K6TU remote or remote into your home station via many different programs...

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

@Howard - I'm wrapping my head round this use of DDUTIL, and if okay will run my two proposed scenarios past you for comment (will send you an email)?

I best go reread up on DDUTIL, as I am unclear how I can run it on my logging PC remotely AND drive the mixture of USB/RS232/Ethernet devices I have hooked up to my main station PC, as well as all the software. 

I had been thinking of buying a touchscreen Toughbook for a portable PC as a Maestro/PC team.  I just need to understand how I get everything all to play well together.

Steve K9ZW

• Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Steve,

DDUtil works with Ethernet to Serial adapters over the Internet (WAN) to control supported equipment.  Specifically, I use DDUtil to control an Elecraft KPA500 when operating remote with a laptop via OpenVPN. 

I also use DXLabs Suite for logging and other services.  Indeed all the software that I use on my desktop PC at the QTH runs seamlessly on the laptop when I operate remote over the Internet.

Good luck and 73,

Larry KB1VFU

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Steve, if the 3rd Party software is FlexAPI aware, then it can talk directly to the FlexRadio simultaneously.  

Case in point:  I was out on my back deck with my Maestro and MacBook Pro.  The MacBook was running MacLoggerDX (DogPark Software via Stu's FlexLib API for Mac) which was connected to my 6300.  I was operating from my new Maestro.  When I changed frequency, mode or bands, the Frequency, Mode, and band display (and signal strength) on MacLoggerDX would all follow along just as if SmartSDR or DogParkSDR was the client connected to my 6300.  FYI....SmartCat and DAX does not exist for the Mac.  Therefore MacLogger does not use CAT commands.  TCP/IP is used to pass/receive FlexAPI calls to or from the radio to the software.  

So depending on what the 3rd Party Application needs to be able to do, it may not require a Flex Radio stub applet to exist at all.  It might just need to be listening for and utilizing  the SmartSDR UDP traffic which is already already occuring on your network.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Steve;

My normal process for travelling is to leave DDUTIL running on my home computer so that it can control my SPE 2K-FA AMP, SteppIR MonstIR. Rotor and all the other peripherals at my home QTH.  While everything can be turned on and off remotely, I generally leave everything powered 100% of the time..

(@Burt I am on 100% solar power so no bitching anymore about wasting power)

DDUTIL is your life saver.. it is the translator and traffic cop that sorts everything out because it talks via Ethernet to the radio and via serial and parallel ports to everything else that is stuck with the pre-1980's technology.  AFIK you can only run one instance of DDUTIL.

Then from Remote I VPN back into the home network so everything is on the Same IP Subnet.

For remote I primarily have used my iPad either with K6TU or Parallels Access remote desktop.   If I log, then easiest is to use Parallel Access Remote Desktop into HRD Logbook running on the home computer...

OR I sometimes use COMMCAT which operates Remote OK without a Panadapter Display BUT has a good logging and spotting program.

OR I have used Dogparksoftware on my MacBook Air via VPN as well.  It has an interface to Maclogger (which I haven't used) and a good spotting interface.

OR.. I am testing a couple of other Alpha Software Packages right now which I can only describe after they are released into the Wild.

Maestro adds a new dimension to travelling.. It currently needs an external VPN such as a PI.. which is in the works right now for me...  I have remoted it via a kludgy Laptop bridge.. YUK...

Remember EVERYTHING is on the Same IP SUBNET.  

So If you want to run a logger on your remote computer it needs to be able to see an IP Port OR a CAT Port.. I have tested HRD which can talk IP Port and it seemed to work OK remote.  I have not yet tested one of the older programs that needs a CAT Port.. its on my testing list..

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Let me just simply confirm that we consider seamless station integration across both SmartSDR and Maestro to be important.  Nothing else to say at this point.  
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry Gerald if I got into the weeds or stepped in where I shouldn't.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @all (Gerald, Howard, Jay and Larry) - Many thanks!!  As this is a hobby area rather than a skill area for me, I appreciate all the help you all have given.

Now I need to sit down, reread manuals and do a proposed hardware/software layout for each QTH.

Thank you each and 73

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A simple logger could be useful for SOTA and NPOTA activations. It would allow additional battery life for the radio by eliminating the laptop.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No, Jay, you are not in the weeds.  Makes perfect sense.  I was just commenting on strategy.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The future Maestro might be a highly refined version of my 8" Lenovo Thinkpad Windows 10 tablet that I use every day from my easy chair and from my favorite McDonalds once in a while.  RV too.

SSDR is running directly on the tablet & is connected to the Flex 6300 via Wi-Fi and VPN.  If good Wi-Fi isn't available I sometimes connect via a Verizon LTE hotspot.  I haven't had any luck with AT&T due to longer ping times adversely effecting SSDR.  3G on any network hasn't been fast enough to support SSDR even at the slowest display update settings.

The VPN server is SoftEther on the shack PC.  On the tablet I'm using  L2TP/IPSec VPN which is built into Windows 10.

The upper window is Remote Desktop connected to the station computer & shown minimized at the moment.

I don't log but the Remote Desktop window is displaying Ham Radio deluxe, which I use for fine tuning, PSTRotator for SteppIR, rotator & antenna switching control and a relay for remotely turning the Flex on and off. The final dialog displayed in the RDP window is the KPA-500 linear amplifier control in mini mode to monitor power output & SWR.  That dialog can be maximized for full amplifier control if necessary.

Of course N1MM could also be running.  Maxamizing the RDP window allows easy control of these functions. Then I can minimize & go back to SSDR.

Sorry for the rough photo.  The one thing that I couldn't quickly figure out was how to take a screen shot without a full keyboard.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.