Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro & 6600M Slightly Different Versions = Problem

Carl N8VZ
Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Maestro
I got my Maestro out of the closet, planning to take it out on the back patio, now that warmer weather has arrived here in Ohio.  I was pleased that it noticed that my 6600M was upgraded to v. 3, and it wanted to do the same.  I upgraded and it installed 3.0.19.119.  When I connected to the 6600M, however, I saw some strange anomalies.  The major one was the frequencies entered on the Maestro do not cause the rig to go to those same frequencies.  In essence the Maestro is reporting an incorrect frequency.  Moving the tuning dial on the Maestro has no effect on the frequency of the rig.  Then I noticed a possible cause of this problem.  The Maestro upgraded to v.3.0.19.119.  However, the 6600M is still on 3.0.19.46.  I suspect that this may be cause of my communication issues between the Maestro and the rig.  However, I can't figure out how to force the 6600M to upgrade to this slightly newer version.  I've tried using a computer connected to the 6600M via SmartSDR, but running the install program again results in no change.  I've turned the 6600M on and off several times, and it never detects the need to upgrade software.  How can I force the 6600M to upgrade to the latest version?

I should add that the 6600M and Maestro are exchanging lots of information such as GPS info, PTT, audio, etc, just no sync between them in terms of frequency displayed. 

Any and all help appreciated.

Carl 
N8VZ  

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Have you tried "menu" "radio" "switch version" from the front panel of the 600M?
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Neil, that's a good idea.  However, I tried doing that and it just offers to reload "3.0.19"  (which is actually the 3.0.19.46 version).   For some reason, it seems oblivious to the difference between version numbers past the "3.0.19. . . ."  Not sure why.  Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it. 73 de Carl N8VZ 
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm going to try to downgrade to 2.4.9 on both rig and Maestro and see if that fixes the problem.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2019
    Carl, are you sure you are not enjoying the features of multiFLEX?

Are you expecting the front panel of the 6600M to also change frequency?  

Mike 
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes, that was what I was expecting, Mike.  Perhaps, I don't totally understand MultiFlex.  Is is a situation with one Maestro and one rig.  Would not the front panel of the 6600M still sync with the front panel of the Maestro?  73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    SmartSDR v3.0 doesn’t sync the way you were hoping. I think you have everything up to **** and working right for v 3.0.19 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    You need slicemaster to sync the maestro to Ssdr....and if you are going to downgrade you need to reset the radio....don’t have the instructions in front of me right now, ....
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK, thanks.  Then the problem was in my brain . . . and not the SSDR.  Hmm . . . 
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm going re-upgrade . . . now that I have a better understanding of what to expect.  
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2019
    Hi Carl

It behaves like two different radios.  You just share the transmitter.

It is that simple.

Mike
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks, Mike.  Now, I understand.  I was at the Flex Banquet at Dayton and heard all the chatter about MultiFlex, but somehow it didn't all register correctly.  I appreciate the the help and explanation.  73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I also have another problem that I'm going to post a new thread on if I can't find a solution: for some reason no matter what mic I try I have to turn Mic Gain up to 100 to get 100 watts out of the 6600M.  I don't think that this is the way it's suppose to be.  It's very strange, but it's not a linear scale.  There's like 5 watts out until it gets to about 90 and then it starts jumping up in quantum fashion.  It must get to 100 in Mic Gain before I'm putting out 100 watts through the rig.  Very strange, indeed. The mics I've tested, include: Heil BM-17 headset, Heil Mic with HM-5 element, Ten-Tec 709, and a Heil Proset with IC element, and a Yamaha CM500.  Basically, the same behavior with all of them, however the CM500 was not able to get all the way up to 100 watts with 100 Mic Gain.  73 de Carl N8VZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.