Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MacLoggerDX on Mac Mini and SmartSDR on PC

Reggie
Reggie Member ✭✭

I just received my 6600, and I am thinking of switching from Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) to  MacLoggerDX.  If I run MacLoggerDX on a Mac Mini, would it be possible to use SmartSDR and DM780 on Windows 10 PC simultaneously?

Thanks,

Reggie

Answers

• Warren
    Warren Member
    edited February 2018
    You can run smartSDR on mac with paralles. Then everything else on the Mac side I would replace DM780 with WSJTX and FLdigi. not sure Dm 780 will send the info through paralles to Mac logger. 
  • Mike - ZL1MRC
    Mike - ZL1MRC Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes I confirm the same, works very well :)
    Mike
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You could actually run dog park SDR on the Mac, too. If you’re wed to DM780, you can run it on a Windows box (real or VM). You could also run the Mac versions of WSJTX and FLDIGI for your digital needs.
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have been using (and am running it right now for FT8 actually) SmartSDR in windows 10 using parallels, and MacLoggerDX natively under MacOS. I have had MLDX for years now.

In fact, at the moment I am running two instances of WSJT-X in the W10 VM using parallels, one for slice A for 40M FT8 and one for slice B for 20M FT8, plus SSDR, with JT-Bridge in MacOS connecting the WSJT-X instances to MacLogger DX for notifications and log checking. 

You can also use MLDX to interface natively with the Flex-6000 series of radios, that is also very easy to do without any bridge software. 

MacLogger DX is a great and easy to use logging program if you have a Mac, and Don Agro the developer is super responsive to questions and is constantly updating the software. I highly recommend it (or any of Don's products for MacOS). 

Just my two cents...

Justin
    KL2D
  • Warren
    Warren Member
    edited March 2020
    I cant say for sure because I get my first Flex next week. I would do my home work on running Smart SDR (VM) VS Dog Park SDR. Both have benefits and drawbacks. I orderd a M model radio to keep things simple.

On the logging software topic I run RumlogNG and it works well but that is all I know.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Justin,

I am configuring my setup on a Mac Mini similar to your configuration.  I have SSDR and WSJT-X installed in the Win10 VM using Parallels 13; however, I am getting a Hamlib error when opening the connection to the rig.  Did you encounter this error?  Do you know how to solve it?

Reggie

• Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited November 2019
    It's an old topic but how did you setup RumlogNg with your Flexradio.

I have Dogpark SDR and MacloggerDX but for logging I would try RumlogNG but I don't see how to set it up to work with my Flex 6500 and v2.6.1.

Maybe you can help me
  • Scott Oakland
    Scott Oakland Member
    edited January 2020
    I have attempted several different variations across Mac and Windows platforms on separate computers and a single computer. What I can tell you is that you need enough memory for whatever you are doing. I have 8 GB Macs and an 8 GB PC (RAM) and had a hard time getting it all to work quickly and smoothly. I wound up using MacLogger DX on one Mac and DogParkSDR, XDax, XCat, and WSJT-X on another Mac. I use UDP to send QSO info to MLDX. One Mac with a bare minimum of 16 GB (32 GB more like it) will help a lot. I can also attest that MacLoggerDX is awesome and worth every penny! It has capabilities that the other Mac logbooks only can dream about.  I wouldn't trade it for anything. I haven't looked at any other log program since. RUMLog works (I've used it) but doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities of MLDX. $99 seems like a lot but in the grand scheme of things is nothing.
  • Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi Scott, first tnx for replying and best wishes for 2020, do you know how you did setup Rumlog because i don't get it connected to my 6500, i have macloggerDX also but would compare it with rumlog so if you still know how you set it up you will help me with it.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I’ll just quickly jump in here as a MLDX, Flex, and former RUMLog user. I used RUMLog with a K3 when I used it, but you should be able to use the Icom CAT protocol through xCat if you are using v2 SSDR on your 6500. If you have switched to v3 SSDR, you are out of luck connecting RUMLog, as there is no xCat for v3 (yet), and there is no native Flex API capability for RUMLog. Both RUMLog and MLDX provide a DXLab Commander server interface, but that does you no good with RUMLog and your 6500.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.