Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

mac mini

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm considering purchasing a Mac Mini for my 6500. Has anybody had any experience with this computer and how much memory is required to effectively run  the graphic requirements of SSDR? 

Answers

• Tom Hoflich
    Tom Hoflich Member
    edited June 2020
    I have been using a mac Mini for almost a year and am very pleased (using boot camp).
    I have 8GB of ram and have not tried less.  I am thinking of trying a NUC. I wonder if anyone has tried that.
    Tom KM5H
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I tried the NUC 54250WYK  with an i7 and  HD5000 graphics.  With more than one pan and a couple slices SSDR doesn't keep up with FlexControl tuning.  I switched to an i5 with an nVidia GTX 750ti graphics card and I'm much happier.  Bonus is it drives two 2560x1440 screens without any drama, and the screen real estate makes a big difference.  Photo on qrz.com.

Running SSDR, DXLabs, Green Heron, a Moxa serial server driver and an amplifier app.  Two switch hops over a dedicated GigE network link.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have a mini 8 gb, i5, 2.5. I run dual displays with my 6500. One uses thunderbolt to vga, and the other is hdmi. I use dxlabs suite one one display, and ssdr on the other
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I run win 7 Pro 64bit under Boot Camp on a Mac-Mini with 16 Gig of RAM with 2 Gig dedicated to video memory. I drive two 23 inch monitors and with 2 slices open don't see any effect on the Flex Control knob.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What's an NUC?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Take a look here.

Jon...kf2e
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm all NUC'ed out. I checked every resource I have and got more info on NUCs. I now know what they are. My conclusion is, it's still a Windows box. I think I'll stisk with the MAC. I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry. 73's

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.