Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low power update

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I got my rig back yesterday from  the excellent Flex service centre in Germany and there was nothing out of calibration to cause my low-ish power readings when the power slider is set to full. Even so, it is nice to know that my rig is 100% okay.

Tanks again to Norbert and Flex.

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Most incorrect power readinsg are due to RF on the outside of the coax. It might help to put an isolator at the antenna port (ferrites over the coax). Also if you are using coax to feed your antenna, a BALUN could help. RF in the shack is the bane of many amateurs. Putting ferrites on the earth lead would not be a good idea as it would impede the flow of RF currents to ground.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Jim,

I do have RF issues here, briefly (as already mentioned in a current thread) my desktop loses its Ethernet connection when I Tx on full power. The low power readings were not that bad, but had the rig checked out by the Flex European service centre. I have plaved 9 clip-on type 31 ferrites at the feed point and will be placing many more on leads in the shack.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    Guy, are you using STP or UTP ethernet cable? Flex reccomends unshielded twisted pair, as I assume that the shield on STP will reradiate RF. I had similar issues in the past with long ethernet runs from the router to additional access points in the house. Replacing with UTP and clamp on ferrites on both ends resolved this issue. 
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Rob, the problem occurs if the shielding is connecting at both ends. I did start a recent thread asking about using CAT 6 cable as I had heard that is was very good to have in the shack. There was a long chat about the pros and cons to the shielding issue. I have not got a clue as to what cables I have other than it being CAT 5e.

I shall see if I can check but may order some new cables as that would be much easier than crawling around in the shack. Thanks for the info.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I'd get away from shielded twisted pair for sure, and go with unshielded twisted pair. Also, clamp on ferrites will also help!
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    Separate but related story - 30 meter CW at 200 watts was enough to **** out my ONT box on the outside of the house that brought fiber from the pole, and distributed internet via Ethernet. The thing had issues at 100 watts where I would have to reset it to get internet connectivity restored. When I went QRO, first TX, and the box just went kaput. Lots of ferrites on the UTP CAT5, and replaced the plastic case enclosed ONT with one inside an aluminum enclosure - no more problems!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.