Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low Power Output? 6300 or 6500

13»

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Testing power output on a complex impedance load (antenna) is not an accurate way to measure the power output of the PA.  It needs to be a resistive (dummy) load.  And you have to make sure you are delivering 13.8 VDC at the radio under load to the radio when transmitting to make full power too.

If you think you have a hardware issue, you should submit a HelpDesk support ticket.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    My load is a bird termaline and is resistive. No big deal. The extra ten to fifteen watts makes a bigger difference with the amp on and in restricted on antenna space so the extra power on the amp might make a little difference, but the radio works fine. Tim, are you saying seven tenths of a volt is going to make a ten to fifteen watt difference?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @Scott

Good point about driving the amp.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Scott - yes, possibly depending on the frequency.
  • Kevin K
    Kevin K Member
    Just confirming that by removing my MFJ DC distribution box, I am at 100 watts now from 80. Sigh. Scratch another one up to keeping it simple pays off.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I had the same fix. Flex is wired directly to the p.s. with ring terminals under the binding posts. Other stuff like etc. fed through the distribution box.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.