Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low Pass Filters...anyone has it on your station?

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a WiFi Router Linksys 1900ACS , Noted wifi is erased when I do Digital modes over 30-40 watts, a ham friend reccomended to me to buy a low pass filter....I'm not so sure it could help to solve any interference problem over 2.4 and 5 GHz....

Your advices are always welcome

Best Regards 

Geroge, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Doubt the LPF would help. Try repositioning the internet connection and router, add ferrites to those connections. Are you using DSL, cable, or fiber for the service? Ferrites on power supplies, too. Ensure you have a good RF ground on the rig.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    They won't help. I would do mix 31 chokes on the power lead to the router.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's what I though,  I have DSL Cable
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm working on it right now
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you were running 'big power' (not 30-40 watts) and you had horrible SWR with a lot of RF coming back into the shack, there might be some benefit to a low pass filter, but it's doubtful. Ferrites on power cord for router should help.
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I use the exact same router with 400 watts digital and 700 watts ssb. You need to put RF chokes on all ethernet connections and the power supply leads. After doing this, all my Interference issues disappeared.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Now that I am at a keyboard.  An HF LPF filter limits or reduces the RF emanating from your HF rig above 30Mhz.  Back in the days about 50 years ago, it was a must have as HF rigs (kits) did not have the same harmonic reduction they have today or since about 1990.  

With your problem, it is an RF overload issue and that RF getting into your router, likely through the DC power cord.  From there it is getting rectified and then that is affecting the CPU on the router.  The RF energy is coming from your HF antenna, and that is doing exactly what you want it to do.  Let out all the RF energy so you can go play.

In your shack, you have all these other receiving antennas, called DC power cords and LAN cables.  Your HF RF energy hits these and are ultimately affecting your router.

You'll need to make sure you Ferrite Beads are the right type to block HF currents.  Those may or may not be the ones you have handy.  Give them a try and if they work, that is awesome.  If not, they may be the wrong 'mix'.  

I bet your easy fix is to just replace the router as it has bad ground bonding.  

BTW, I bet it is also RF noisy making it harder for you to hear HF stations.  The same chokes will help with that.

This document is worth the read for anyone who does HF operating:

http://www.yccc.org/Articles/W1HIS/CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf

Mike va3mw

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thank you very much for your excellent advice...I appreciate it, I just finished to put ferrites on cables from a to router and modem....I'm gonna do some test.....Thank you!

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    We did Solve the issue!!!...Thanks to all....80 watts on digital modes ...no problem....!!....I uses some ferrites on modem and router.......and ready to Go.....thanks for your advices my ham friends

Best Regards!...

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.