Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low budget amplifier to use with Flex 6300

Santiago Mejia HI8O
Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
After 4 month using a Flex I would like to keep up adding to it.

I’m looking for recommendations on a low budget amp to use with my 6300, that I can control thru PC and use remotely. I’m not able by far to meet PGXL and/or 2k amps nor most 1k for that matter, yet.

Any recommendations? I could settle for something between 600w to 1kw.

73 de Santiago, HI8SMX

Answers

• KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I recommend the Elecraft KPA-500. There is lots of documentation available about using it with the Flex radios.
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Check out the Gemini HF-1K

It’s a solid state linear amp with auto band switching together with computer control. I am very happy with mine but check out the reviews on eham. A really neat feature is support of the 630M band through to 6m band.

• Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have an ALS-600 from Ameritron.  They also sell a cable the provides auto band switching between the amp and my FLEX 6400.  It works very well.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If I can offer my opinion, STAY AWAY from the low budget AMPs it will cost you less in the long run to go with a great amp like the Elecraft KPA-500 or PGXL. There are used KPA-500's every now and again and can be controlled by the F6300. 
    Check with the reviews before you buy sometimes they get it right. 
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    There are sometimes great deals to be had on used SPE Expert 1K-FA amplifiers. The 1K-FA has been replaced by newer models, so used 1K-FA's can be obtained at very affordable prices these days. I use one. Flawless and foolproof operation with Flex radios!

You owe it to yourself to check the reviews on this amp as part of your research.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I agree with Bret.  Save, look for an purchase a quality amp.  The KPA-500 is a great amp but only 500w which is like a single S-unit at best in rough conditions.  Although this sometimes is all you need.

I stretched and purchased an SPE 2K FA.  I will probably own this amp the rest of my life.  It works wonderfully well and loafs along at my typical 500 to 1000w.

Mark WS7M
  • Anthony Scandurra
    edited October 2019
    Santiago,

Not sure what your budget is, but an ACOM 600S will work fine with the 6300 (I use one here), and you can use software from here: https://www.m0yom.co.uk/download/acom-director-plus-0-6-0-beta/ to control it.

I used the instructions found here: https://morsetutor.com/2016/12/flex-6500-usb-serial-to-acom-600s/ to build an interface cable for the ACOM 600S to the 6300.

FYI - I am selling my ACOM 600S along with the required interface cables for the 6300 for US$2000 plus shipping.

73, Tony K4QE
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Best **** for buck $$

250-15000 watt Solid State Amps

1 have 1500 watt model easily does 1500 watts

Getting better audio reports with DX World Electronics

Than with my Ten Tec Titan 425 tube amp

Facebook page under DX World Electronics

Tell them Joe C KL4QG sent you from Bethel Alaska

He great family guy ,good at answering any and all questions -Hand Made Amps

I’m getting second 1500 watt for water plant in Bethel AK

They cover 10/160 and Mars Bands /6 meters
    with SWR meter and Power Meter (The newest models) Im using the amp on 6400M
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Lots of suggestions, but what is your definition of "low budget"?
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited October 2019
    You´re right. I´m unable to go over US$2,000 for the time being. Specially considering the exchange rate of my local currency. 
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    Thanks a lot everybody for your recommendations and advices, certainly a lot to research and review. Will keep you posted on the matter. 

Really appreciate it.

73, Santiago, HI8SMX 
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Not commenting on value (low cost, reliability, etc), but something to consider. Going from 100 watts to 400 watts is 6 dB, approximately 1 S-unit increase in signal strength. Going from 100 watts to 1000 watts is 10 db, a little over 1.5 S-units increase in signal strength.

If the situation permits, improving the antenna system can bring much more gain. And it works both ways, receiving and transmitting.

An amplifier is kinda like 4 wheel drive, It helps you to go, but it doesn't help you stop.   
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    **** but it’s sure a lot fun watching my DX World amp hitting 1500 watts plus on my bird watt meter.
    Joe
    KL4QG Agree about antennas I raised my Dipole from 25 feet 65 feet wow what difference than add 1500 Watts - Who hears me I hear them now//
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited October 2019
    Where can I write you with a question?
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    conover1956@gmail.com
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I’m getting lots emails on DX World Amps

Here Jims email just check the time in Greece

jim_811@yahoo.gr

Thanks all for interest Jim got 2 year old girl and nice wife they both starting out in life

1500 Watt =1700 Euro /$1900 USA
    My amp does 1700 watts plus on dummy load all bands and
    I set at 1400-1500 watts for AK SSB nets never misses beat running very cool the two fans -no noise none /

It’s plug and play for my 6400M
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have had the 1K-Fa together with my 6700 since I bought it 2 years ago. Perfect match, works great. Running 4-500 Watts on RTTY and digital is no problem. SSB i would say 7-800 watts during Run in contest is no problem. 

Experts own software for this amp is old, never updated (I belive) and useless. But works great with Mini Console for Flex. 

Mini Console together with LP-100 and DDUtil, works great to handle everything via a PC screen or remote with Team Viewer.

Another discussion on Mini Console 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/frstack-ver3-and-spe-amp?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=20231431#reply_20231431

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Johan! very interesting. 
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited October 2019
    You might find it easy stateside to hook up your spe amp,but it’s a nitemare in the Uk as it’s impossible to get the connection leads here
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Another option- if you want to build or an assembled unit are the EB104 amps- https://eb104.ru/karta-sayta/directory.

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited October 2019
    I must confess that I´m not a lot into DIY, but I´ll take a look at it. Thanks. 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I having second DX World Electronics 1500 watt amp being built this one has power Supply on outside It’s also has new SWR and Power Meters Jim sends me and others pictures and videos as he builds your — Amp so you can follow along as he building it/ it’s cool watch your amp bring built -At $1900 US dollars for $1500 watts it’s great buy/ Joe KL4QG DX World Amps Here Jims email just check the time in Greece jim_811@yahoo.gr
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited October 2019
    Yes, I spoke with Jim several times and we are evaluating some questions. He´s very quick to respond and answers to all questions. 

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Here nice little jewel 500 watts plus best best I seen for 500-600 watt amp

image He has a video testing into Bird Watt meter all his Testing has been spot on and videos

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.