Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low audio output in AM mode

I recently purchased a used Flex-6500 to replace my mortally wounded 5000A. The unit works FB, and is everything I'd hoped for, except for one small issue.
When switching to AM or SAM mode, the audio output to powered speakers drops to nearly nothing. Audio out to headphones is adequate, but not like unto other modes. 

Audio out is fine in all other modes.

Any ideas? There are so many software switches in SmartSDR that I may be missing something, but I'm beginning to think it's an problem, not a glitch.

I've tried this with DAX enabled and not enabled, no difference.

BTW, I'm running 1.9.13.

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I have ALWAYS noticed a reduction in audio on my 6500, 1500, 3000, and 5000 in the AM modes. Perhaps Flex will address this issue some day.

Jim, K6QE

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I asked a similar question a few months ago regarding my 5000.  I've decided it is part qualitative, demodulated AM vs SSB audio seems relatively muffled, or low level; many ham AM stations themselves seem to be running some low level modulation, look at voice peaks vs carrier level;  there may be something in the way AM is being demodulated, but I don't know why or how.  

Listening to AM SW some of the stations have great audio, others sound a lot like the ham AM on 80m.  I suspect that the older SW transmitters use a better modulation scheme, whilst the newer ones do not.  A few times I've listened to a Johnson Valiant on AM, a totally different quality of audio; clear and booming. Hmmm. 

I think some AM just isn't very good, starting at the transmitter.   There may be some changes that would help in software; I don't know nearly enough.  But Jim is right about the reduction in audio recovered. 

• john.lennerton
    edited January 2017
    I used AM broadcast band signals as a test. Most of them have adequate modulation, but I picked out the stations that were truly booming it out there. In the headsets, it was a very nicely modulated signal, with very good audio quality. In the speakers? Nada. Zilch. Well, maybe a whisper. But next to nothing.

So in this case, it seems that the path the audio is taking has an effect on volume.

Again, in all other modes, not an issue.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You really shouldn't be having any receive audio issues in AM mode, i use it often. Make sue your volume controls on the very top right for speakers and head phones are turned up. Also you can gain audio loudness using the rx eq. Also make sure the agc slider is up enough.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree with Larry - I run a lot of AM and don't have any issue. SSB's audio response tends to be somewhat narrower, so could it be that the predominately higher audio freq characteristics of SSB "seem" louder? Also, many of the stock boat anchor radios tend to be under modulated, so weaker signals do often sound down in the mud.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Sounds like it's time to try a hard-reset of the 6500?
  • john.lennerton
    edited January 2017
    Yup. Good suggestion.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This may be related to a previously reported issue related to how the AGC interacts with demodulated AM (and SAM).  The issue is defect #2077 and it is tentatively scheduled to be addressed after the final release of SmartSDR v1.10.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    While waiting for #2077 to be resolved, you might switch your AGC decay to FAST instead of MED or SLOW.  I notice FAST increases the audio amplitude in the AM or SAM modes on my 6500.
  • john.lennerton
    edited January 2017
    Did that. Thanks.
  • john.lennerton
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the info. A hard reset made no noticeable difference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.