Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Losing Maestro audio stream

Martin AA6E
Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I like to operate my 6500 with Maestro and a Win10 PC running DAX/CAT for logging (log4om), WSJT-X, and Fldigi.  Mostly this works, but lately I have had the Maestro audio (internal speaker) dropping off-line occasionally.  I.e., it goes mute and can only be restored by resetting the Maestro network setup.  I am using 100baseT networking with zero reported errors.

I wonder if this might be related to running DAX/CAT applications on the PC.  The proper way of using Maestro along with PC-based applications is not described in the Maestro manual anywhere that I can find.

TIA for any suggestions.

73 and holiday greetings!
Martin AA6E

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Martin - for grins, after you bring up SmartSDR, close DAX and CAT then reopen them, and see if that makes any difference. 
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have had the same experience.  Let's compare notes.  I'll be running Maestro front speaker audio on say, 40 meters, and then after a while the audio will go to zero.  No amount of adjusting AF levels, poking Maestro audio switches makes any difference.  I have to reboot Maestro to restore audio.

If this matches your experience, this is important as we're doing an RMA on my Maestro right now.  I'm suspecting something other than a hardware problem.

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Could be the same thing.  I don't have to completely reboot.  I just go to the Network menu and click Wifi Settings to disconnect Maestro, then reconnect as usual.  I only see the problem after some hours of receiving.  It hasn't actually happened during a QSO.  I note that WSJTX (and DAX) seem to keep running normally on the PC, and the Maestro video also keeps going normally.

Overall, it looks like the audio stream is just stopped for some reason.  No error indications anywhere. No clue as to if it's hardware or software, but it might be a network router glitch, driver software, or who knows what.  It seems that Maestro's software is not smart enough to detect and restart a stopped stream automatically.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I've put my Maestro back in service and will watch for a failure.  If I get one, I'll try your approach and we'll see what happens.

If yours and mine behave the same way, then I'll go back to FRS and we'll discuss what to do next.

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm also getting this problem, DAX & CAT closed zero lost packets using wired 10/100 connection. To get it working again I do same as Martin.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I would be interested in knowing if Maestro reports your network as having a high rate of packet loss..  And if the packet loss rate is corrected by rebooting the Maestro..
    AL, K0VM
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    As stated above, zero errors -- over many hours, using 100 Mb/s switch to limit bit rate. I previously used a 1 Gb/s switch that did show low to moderate errors on the Maestro.
  • Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hello!

You can rename this issue to "Losing audio stream".

I have this problem loosing audio stream too.
    After some time (30 minutes or more) then I sometimes loose audio stream regardless
    LAN remote or with VPN or with Smart Connect. This happens with my Maestro and with
    SmartSDR running on several different Windows 7 PCs. I have simply to restart Maestro or SmartSDR. This is anoying but not harmfull to my usage.

Hardy, DL1GLH

• Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello!

I lose the audioconnection partly several times on the day. Also with the version 2.1.30 nothing has improved.
    Then I must restart SmartSDR (or Maestro). It sounds thus as if the last audiosequence in a loop is repeated.
    With the time this becomes quite annoying, particularly if it happens in the middle of a conversation.

Hardy, DL1GLH

• Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello!

I still use the audio stream from time to time (now also with 2.1.33 and Windows 10).
    Waterfall and all other fuctions still work. Then I have to restart SSDR or Maestro
    to get audio again.
    The audio sometime sounds like a endless loop. No packet drops.

Hardy, DL1GLH

• Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Mine is still doing this with the latest release of SmartSDR. And, I'm not running DAX or CAT at the time. My OS is Win10.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    For your reference, this report is in our bug tracker as issue #5403.  I have added your comments to the defect detail.
  • Ray/W4OB
    Ray/W4OB Member
    edited August 2018
    I, too, have an "A" Maestro which loses its audio stream after about 40-60 minutes or so.   I have to reboot the Maestro to get the audio back.   Is there any update on bug tracker issue #5403?  
  • N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    A "Me Too" here. It's an "A" Maestro that I just bought used and thought it had quit!

Jim N7CXI

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    A "Me Too" here. It's an "A" Maestro that I just bought used and thought it had quit!

Jim N7CXI

• Keith Hamilton
    edited December 2018
    "Me too here" Actually I have a "B" Maestro with on-off button on the side. Audio just drops out.
  • Keith Hamilton
    edited December 2018
    Today I replaced a troublesome switch in my network. The switch is in my upstairs shack. A network cable runs from the switch to the first floor where my cable modem/router is located. With the new switch my network is Excellent for hours and I get no audio dropouts. Before the change my network would go to Poor and I had my Maestro audio stream drop out about every 10 minutes

Maybe the solution was the network all along.

Much happier in Ohio - N8CEP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.