Loosing CAT control Flex 6700 to WSJT-X and DM-780

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
After 4-6 hours normal connectivity and operation, the PTT CAT to WSJT-X or DM-780 is lost.  To correct, I reload either program AND SmartSDR CAT.  Must reload both a program and SmartSDR CAT.  Then all is well for another 4-6 hour period.

DAX audio remains normal.

Flex 6700, SmartSDR v.1.11.12

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave W7IWW
Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Thanks for posting this Dave. I see it happening here all the time and wondered if it was just me. It acts like maybe a buffer is filling up somewhere and then it seizes up. But I see it mostly with the DAX audio. What is maddening is to see the decoding work just sporadically for a few seconds, indicating the setup is probably correct.

Reloading sometimes solves the problem. Sometimes taking everything down hard and starting over is required. Sometimes even that doesn't help! My remote setup is down hard again right now after successfully working DX recently while watching TV at the same time.

Swapping in a different computer like an iPad, then returning to the Tosh portable is usually asking for trouble (like now), as is sometimes just turning the system off overnite. I cannot find any consistency yet to point more specifically.

Running FT8 remote on the FLEX 6300 with 1.11.12 and Win10 is great fun when it works, but the setup is very fragile compared to my rock solid TS-590S hard wired digital station also running Win10 and RC2. Hopefully a fix is on the way...

-Dave
(Edited)
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Similar today. Last night worked many stations on multiple bands without incident. Turned rig off. This AM turned it back on and CAT control is lost. Decodes OK, but will not sense band and will not TUNE FLEX.

Error message from FT8 wants user to open SETTINGS. Review of the settings shows no change from last night.
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Oh, and I should mention something else which happens often, and with different  computers.

Last evening there was a 2 hr break when the rig was left on and decoding and completely untouched. When I came to use it again it was still decoding but the FLEX 6300 with 1.11.12 and Win10 running F8 was not playing the F8 audio out of the speaker. Instead was a digital hash sort of unrelated sound. But tune worked OK.

To restore the setup to normal I closed and reopened both 1.11.12 and WSJT-X and the system worked fine again. Strange stuff. Then as noted above, after being off overnight and turned on this AM it does not work.
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
AND IN CONCLUSION: So as I have done before, I went into the FLEX software and removed CAT10, and added CAT11, also making that change in WSJT-X. And now (again) it works fine (again).

Next time this problem occurs I will (again) remove CAT11 and replace it with CAT10. That usually (but not always) seems to work.

-FINI-
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
POST SCRIPT
A REPEAT EVENT

A 2 hr break during which the rig was left on and decoding and was completely untouched. When I came to use it again it was still decoding but the FLEX 6300 with 1.11.12 and Win10 running F8 was not playing the F8 audio out of the speaker. Instead was a digital hash sort of unrelated sound.

But tune worked OK and I made a contact with it this way so that part works also. The hash out the speaker continues...

At least we are seeing some consistency.
Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Dave. Yes, strange happenings. My issues seemed to show up after updating WSJT-X to run FT8, and before updating to SmartSDR v. 1.11 from v. 1.10. Prior to newest WSJT-X, the disconnect issues with CAT PTT did not exist. Hopefully someone will chime in with some guidance. Otherwise, I’ll submit a HelpDesk ticket to Flex.

Dave W7IWW
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Dave - Hopefully I've provided enough info above that better minds can translate it into a solution. When it works it does work pretty well.

I've also eliminated the Router by running hard wired between the FLEX and the Computer with identical results.

Since F8 works so trouble free with other XCVRS it appears the problem boils down to FLEX software or its interaction with WSJT-X.

Have a nice day in Billings!

-Dave
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
Well, I do not think anything conclusive has been determined other than you are having issues.  In troubleshooting, it is best to divide your problem.  I'd recommend using a different digital mode program, like Fldigi and leaving all of the other parameters the same.  Then see if the problem characteristics change.
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 218 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Dave- <Otherwise, I’ll submit a HelpDesk ticket to Flex. >

Let me know the results of your Help Ticket, Dave. The similar troubles I'm having using 3 totally different computers may well be related to yours. Also, I see where other FLEX users are having trouble losing CAT function after an ON/OFF cycle.

73 Dave
(Edited)